Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix does Queensryche!!

GlennDeLaune

Hey Glenn, 4 years ago I was the guitar tech for Geoff Tate's Queensryche on the 25th anniv for Mindcrime after I left Line 6. Encore set had the hits from Empire. For Robert Sarzo's rig I programmed 4 patches for the whole set on the HD500 (Helix was in dev then), delivered through 2 DT50s. Kelly Gray's rig, he programmed it on a laptop using Waves Gtr feeding into 2 412 Acoustic halfstacks. Live it was dead on to the record. After living the tones every night it's ingrained in me. Nice job, pretty close! 

I actually just pulled up some of my fave patches for the POD HD and converting them over to the Helix. You're new library here inspired me to convert these now. Thx!

Thank you for the kind words guys.

Are you playing with a wedge in the room to get that sustain/feedback?

That guitar has a sustainer system. Same thing they used on the album. Jay Y from Styx and Neal Shon from Journey (just to name a few) have been using that for a very long time. That Jackson I'm playing in the video has one. It's a pretty cool effect, used sparingly!!! That being said, if you run this patch through a wedge at gig volume you will get a similar effect depending how loud you are and your proximity to the speaker.

Hey Glenn, 4 years ago I was the guitar tech for Geoff Tate's Queensryche on the 25th anniv for Mindcrime after I left Line 6. Encore set had the hits from Empire. For Robert Sarzo's rig I programmed 4 patches for the whole set on the HD500 (Helix was in dev then), delivered through 2 DT50s. Kelly Gray's rig, he programmed it on a laptop using Waves Gtr feeding into 2 412 Acoustic halfstacks. Live it was dead on to the record. After living the tones every night it's ingrained in me. Nice job, pretty close! 

I actually just pulled up some of my fave patches for the POD HD and converting them over to the Helix. You're new library here inspired me to convert these now. Thx!

Hey Andy I remember you from Institute of Noise forum man!! Good to hear from you. I really learned alot from your site.  I hope you are doing well.

Yep ole ION... Hard to believe it was 18 years ago that all started! 

Good to see you're taking it to the next level Glenn! Still sounding great!

Things are good! Just spending more time in the studio now writing and trying to make records for others more than anything else.

I'm still here lurking, but don't post much...

Hey andyz - Does that mean you will share them on custom tone with us? 

AZ_Guitar, I'll surely try to remember to. Want to make sure they translate ok. I'd probably end up using a 3rd party IR as well, but may add a cab additionally.