Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to send "set to on" or "set to off" commands for stompboxes via MIDI?

blakeevan311

I know I can send a toggle on/off command, but I want to be able to send a "set to on" command such that if the pedal is off, it will turn on, but if it is on it will stay on and do nothing. Is this possible on the POD HD?

The purpose behind this is I'm trying to recreate the "snapshot" functionality of the Helix on my HD500 (because like so many others I really want a Helix but can't afford one right now and already have an HD500), where you can have different "versions" of a patch with different blocks turned on or off saved and assigned to the buttons. I know I could do this by saving multiple patches and doing a patch change, but then you don't get tails on delays or reverbs and the audio output briefly goes silent as the new patch is recalled.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Not possible on the HD, it's just toggle. By the way, sending a midi command to explicitly tell a block to be on or off is currently not possible in Helix either, but I read that it's coming.

I'm just trying to replicate the "snapshot" function in Helix and MIDI seemed like the best way to do it on the POD. My plan was to have a very short MIDI cable going from the MIDI Out straight back to the MIDI In, and using the built-in footswitches on the POD to send MIDI commands back to the POD itself. I thought I might get more versatility and programmability that way.

My conclusion from reading the manual was that it couldn't be done, but I posted here anyway hoping someone else might have seen something I didn't.

I'm just trying to replicate the "snapshot" function in Helix and MIDI seemed like the best way to do it on the POD. My plan was to have a very short MIDI cable going from the MIDI Out straight back to the MIDI In, and using the built-in footswitches on the POD to send MIDI commands back to the POD itself. I thought I might get more versatility and programmability that way.

My conclusion from reading the manual was that it couldn't be done, but I posted here anyway hoping someone else might have seen something I didn't.

I've heard of people trying that before, even with Helix. There's nothing that prevents you from doing it. I've never tried it myself because I'm always working inside a DAW for the most part. I don't think it'll give you snapshot like functionality though, and it seems like it could easily become very confusing without some sort of static plan in mind that only ever goes from point A to B.

Wouldn't hurt to try it, but even with this method, unless I'm missing something, I don't see a way to tell a block to be on, even though it may already be on, or vice-versa.