Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Variax Standard arrived today :-(

C4ptainCh4os

Hi

I recently purchased a Variax Standard from an online retailer which arrived today. I ordered this on Friday and it was stated on the website that I would receive the guitar the next day. I checked the order progress that evening to find that the guitar wasn't showing as being shipped. I emailed the retailer on Saturday who replied and apologised telling me that a colleague should have contacted me to say that there were a few blemishes to the finish on the front of the guitar. I was emailed pictures of these "blemishes" and asked "What do you think?" Now this was obviously a store guitar due to the marks on the finish so I replied to say "What do you mean, What do I think?"

They replied offering me a free polishing kit and some strings, to which I responded that this was obviously a store demo guitar/B-Stock. I said I already had polish and strings and I wasn't prepared to pay full price for it in this condition. I was offered a discount of £30 off the guitar which I decided to accept as the marks didn't seem too bad, so I was excited to receive my Variax.

However, when the guitar arrived I opened the box to find that considering the guitar already had "blemishes" they had packed it in the cardboard box without any covering around the guitar at all so the finish was unprotected and left to rub against the cardboard, I couldn't believe it! I have since discovered additional damage to the finish on the rear of the guitar.

I have also watched an unboxing video on YouTube which clearly shows the guitar wrapped in some kind of foam sheeting/bag. To make matters worse I found the trem arm floating around loose in the box, free to fly around and make contact with the guitar finish while in transit.

I have also noted that there are possibly items missing from the box. From the unboxing video there should be an instruction manual and allen keys, both of which are missing.

I'm also not sure that the correct rj45 cable has been included either. Should there be one with the round metal shrouds around the connector which match the output socket on the guitar. If someone could post a photo of the cable that should be included I would be very grateful. Also what length is the cable that is included as this one seems incredibly short.

Anyway to sum up, what I expected to be an exciting new guitar day has turned out to be a massive disappointment, and I feel that this dealer has let me and Line 6 down with their shoddy service and poor buying experience.

End of rant!!.

Thanks for listening guys.

Cheers

Greetings Captain,

I bought my V-Standard online from Sweetwater. Mine was new, and it did have the foam packing in the box. I was however, disappointed in the packaging that Line6 ships these in. The only other guitar that I purchased new was a 1971 Fender Stratocaster that shipped in the Fender case. Line6/Yamaha would do much better to sell a guitar/case package that would eliminate these worries.

In your particular instance, I would suspect that once your Standard was repackaged by the seller, they had not kept the original packing when it was on a store floor.

Don't let the sellers issue keep you from enjoying your Variax. I am loving mine.

PS: Don DeLuise was great as Captain Chaos!

I don't know what to say except to offer my sympathies and to suggest that you demand a full refund along with retailer-paid return shipping. Then never deal with that online retailer again.

As to your questions,

- the manual can be downloaded (see Support - Technical Support - Manuals)

- yes, there should be Allen keys

- the RJ-45 cable should be shielded at one end (the Variax end) but not the other end. Your Variax package should also include a Workbench HD hardware interface device, and a second cable. The RJ-45 cable is relatively short because it's purpose is to connect your guitar to the hardware interface when you want to use the Workbench HD software (downloadable here). The second cable is to connect the hardware device to your computer running Workbench.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your replies and the warm welcome.

I am in the UK by the btw.

The first image shows how I found the guitar when I opened the box. This wasn't taken at the time, also the accessories were not as tidy as they are in this image. I put everything back in the box as I found it.

The second image shows the contents of the boxes.

The cable, I can see is for the USB connection for Workbench HD but is this the same one for playing if connected to my Firehawk FX, seems awfully short to me.

While I appreciate that the manual can be downloaded, when they opened the box for store display everything from the box should have been kept in the box.

Cheers

post-2512761-0-46585900-1498426132_thumb.jpg

post-2512761-0-13729900-1498426178_thumb.jpg

Ahh, music retail clerks...well at the very least take comfort in the knowledge that there's a reserved seat in Hell for that guy, right between a used car salesman and a personal injury attorney. ;)

Return it and get one that hasn't been abused. At least have the pleasure of dinging it up yourself...

I bought my Variax in a shop.

I wanted to try it before buying it !

Nevertheless, the one i ordered was in another color and was a full new one !

I can understand your disappointment but it's entirelly due to  your seller. The allen keys would be another big frustration for me because i've loosen the ones i had for my fender stratocaster and in France with the metric system it's impossible to find the same ones in a tool shop. We have to buy them online.  :mellow:

The only thing that line 6 can be critized for is the cheap RJ45 cable. They could give us a better quality cable !!! You've got the good one wich is included  ;)

I've allready bought a new one with round metal shrounds.....longer and stronger..... <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I recently purchased a Variax Standard from an online retailer which arrived today. I ordered this on Friday and it was stated on the website that I would receive the guitar the next day. I checked the order progress that evening to find that the guitar wasn't showing as being shipped. I emailed the retailer on Saturday who replied and apologised telling me that a colleague should have contacted me to say that there were a few blemishes to the finish on the front of the guitar. I was emailed pictures of these "blemishes" and asked "What do you think?" Now this was obviously a store guitar due to the marks on the finish so I replied to say "What do you mean, What do I think?"

They replied offering me a free polishing kit and some strings, to which I responded that this was obviously a store demo guitar/B-Stock. I said I already had polish and strings and I wasn't prepared to pay full price for it in this condition. I was offered a discount of £30 off the guitar which I decided to accept as the marks didn't seem too bad, so I was excited to receive my Variax.

However, when the guitar arrived I opened the box to find that considering the guitar already had "blemishes" they had packed it in the cardboard box without any covering around the guitar at all so the finish was unprotected and left to rub against the cardboard, I couldn't believe it! I have since discovered additional damage to the finish on the rear of the guitar.

I have also watched an unboxing video on YouTube which clearly shows the guitar wrapped in some kind of foam sheeting/bag. To make matters worse I found the trem arm floating around loose in the box, free to fly around and make contact with the guitar finish while in transit.

I have also noted that there are possibly items missing from the box. From the unboxing video there should be an instruction manual and allen keys, both of which are missing.

I'm also not sure that the correct rj45 cable has been included either. Should there be one with the round metal shrouds around the connector which match the output socket on the guitar. If someone could post a photo of the cable that should be included I would be very grateful. Also what length is the cable that is included as this one seems incredibly short.

Anyway to sum up, what I expected to be an exciting new guitar day has turned out to be a massive disappointment, and I feel that this dealer has let me and Line 6 down with their shoddy service and poor buying experience.

End of rant!!.

Thanks for listening guys.

Cheers

Where did you purchase it from?

"I'm also not sure that the correct rj45 cable has been included either.

Should there be one with the round metal shrouds around the connector

which match the output socket on the guitar."---

Using a different version of the cable now. And it's for using for Flash updates

and use with Workbench HD,... and not for playing through.

The VDI cable with Shrouded connectors on both ends is for playing through.