Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What frfr speaker/amp do you guys use for at home and jamming?

spearmint95

I have two rigs, one for live and one for recording.  On my live rig I have a Yamaha DXR12 which matches the speaker I use for live performances.  The other rig is used just for recording and is attached to the computer.  There I have two Yamaha HS7 studio monitors.  You can get the dimensions from any of the online music stores or Amazon.

Home is just through my Tannoy Reveal 502 monitors (big bang for the buck on that series!). Live I have two Mackie Thump 12s, one is on a pole and the other is on the floor behind me as a wedge. If the venue we're playing has good sound I won't even bring speakers.

Home and live I use an EV ZLX 12P.  I also have two Harbinger Vari V212s.  The Harbingers, although they sound good and are cheap, are heavier, a little awkward to carry, and difficult to daisy chain.  The EVs are little louder (1000 watts compared to 600 watts) sound a little cleaner with less hiss, and are simple to daisy chain without having to adjust volumes.

I'm selling the Harbingers and getting another EV.

Two Alto TX10  - $169 each. Use them for everything.  Light enough for the wife to carry them, plenty of power.  Sound better to me than the QSC's, line 6 l2T.  Owned all three, for some reason the Alto's just rock with very little eq adjustments.

That's currently what I'm leaning towards at the moment. Should I just go ahead and pull the trigger? :P

If you're ok spending the money, I'd move up to one of the Yamahas, DXR or DBR 10 or 12, or possibly a JBL. If not, the Altos are a great choice.

If you're ok spending the money, I'd move up to one of the Yamahas, DXR or DBR 10 or 12, or possibly a JBL. If not, the Altos are a great choice.

I don't think the Altos have the "monitor mode" switch built in to them, rolling off some bass response if used as a wedge. Not that it is critical, but Yamaha and JBLs have that option. 

That's currently what I'm leaning towards at the moment. Should I just go ahead and pull the trigger? :P

I can't make that decision for you. I didn't have a lot of money to spend on an FRFR powered monitor and the Altos were getting good reviews. Like Jbuhajla said, they don't have the "monitor mode" that compensates for floor coupling. I don't know how well that works, but I do know that my TS212 needs to be mounted on an amp stand or a pole to sound good, otherwise it's pretty bass heavy. Not a big deal, I bought a pole that was somewhere around $25 or so and it solved the problem.

I can't make that decision for you. I didn't have a lot of money to spend on an FRFR powered monitor and the Altos were getting good reviews. Like Jbuhajla said, they don't have the "monitor mode" that compensates for floor coupling. I don't know how well that works, but I do know that my TS212 needs to be mounted on an amp stand or a pole to sound good, otherwise it's pretty bass heavy. Not a big deal, I bought a pole that was somewhere around $25 or so and it solved the problem.

I don't think the Altos have the "monitor mode" switch built in to them, rolling off some bass response if used as a wedge. Not that it is critical, but Yamaha and JBLs have that option. 

Y'know, I do like the wedge capabilities of the yamahas. I'm gonna either go with a DXR or DBR! Thanks guys!!

I'm using a DXR12, up on a pole, for live. I don't connect to FOH, so I found that putting it up on the pole was critical to getting decent dispersion in a room.

I'm interested in trying a few new cabs that seem to be slotted between a guitar cab and a sealed FRFR. The Mission Io is one of them. It's active, 450w, and only weighs 29#'s because of a neo speaker. The Xitone Michael Britt is another. That one is open back. I can't seem to find too much info on either of these.

Y'know, I do like the wedge capabilities of the yamahas. I'm gonna either go with a DXR or DBR! Thanks guys!!

I was recommending based more on sound and physical shape. The Altos will sound decent, but from what folks here and on TGP say (don't have one myself), the Yamahas will sound better, and also get louder.

I'm using a DXR12, up on a pole, for live. I don't connect to FOH, so I found that putting it up on the pole was critical to getting decent dispersion in a room.

I'm interested in trying a few new cabs that seem to be slotted between a guitar cab and a sealed FRFR. The Mission Io is one of them. It's active, 450w, and only weighs 29#'s because of a neo speaker. The Xitone Michael Britt is another. That one is open back. I can't seem to find too much info on either of these.

Maybe you'll find a seller with a nice return policy that'll allow you to return the product if you're dissatisfied!

I was recommending based more on sound and physical shape. The Altos will sound decent, but from what folks here and on TGP say (don't have one myself), the Yamahas will sound better, and also get louder.

Gotcha! Thank very much for taking the time to share your knowledge with me!!

This seems to be an orphan response here but live I use a Koch ATR-4501 tube hybrid stereo amp

into a Wizard 10/12 cab. 10" Celestion Vintage 10 and a Jensen Falcon 12.

At home I use that setup or I run the Helix into a VHT Special 44, 1x12" Celestion Gold speaker.

The Special 44 has all tone controls post-Return so you can really tweak the response.

No FRFR at this point. Tried the Spacestation V3 but it was not for me.

Use two JBL EON610s for gigging and a Roland AC-90 when I need a small rehearsal amp. I had the AC-90 for a while and used it for acoustic guitar and mandolin gigs. Its actually pretty nice with Helix for electric guitar, and even bass if the volume isn't too loud.