Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What frfr speaker/amp do you guys use for at home and jamming?

spearmint95

I have used both the EV ZLX12P and the Matrix FR12. Both very good. I just picked up a Boss Katana 100 1x12 combo. Very impressed. I can run my Helix LT into the fx return or into the front of the amp with the Acoustic setting. Both modes sound excellent.. the Acoustic mode is a bit more pseudo FRFR but gives you access to the tone stack on the amp to shape the tone of the amp a bit more. One of the better "amp in the room" options I have tried. I may get another to have a stereo rig. Katana only weighs around 30 lbs and seems to be really solidly built.. typical Roland QC.

For practice and recording, I use the Equator Q8's in my recording setup (see below).  

For jamming, I'll run direct if the PA is up to it.  If I'm bringing my backline, my Atomic CLR is my first choice.  If I want to run stereo or smaller mono, I have a couple of QSC K8's.

e38c87c4801a5a23493f2446642da3a3.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have used both the EV ZLX12P and the Matrix FR12. Both very good. I just picked up a Boss Katana 100 1x12 combo. Very impressed. I can run my Helix LT into the fx return or into the front of the amp with the Acoustic setting. Both modes sound excellent.. the Acoustic mode is a bit more pseudo FRFR but gives you access to the tone stack on the amp to shape the tone of the amp a bit more. One of the better "amp in the room" options I have tried. I may get another to have a stereo rig. Katana only weighs around 30 lbs and seems to be really solidly built.. typical Roland QC.

My Helix arrives tomorrow and I am going to run it through my Katana before considering a set of studio monitors. How have your results been? Any particular sound you've tried to nail that the Katana speaker is limiting? Do you use IRs? Appreciate any info or tips!

• 3 weeks later...

In view of the fact that most guitar cabs have 12 inch speakers does it matter if frfr is buit around 12 or 10 inch speaker? i would also like the frfr to do occasional bass guitar rig duty via Helix LT. Will there be a lot of differences between 10 and 12 inches? Thanks.