Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wireless Relay G90 & Helix Rack - how to get these working together best?

I'm using a Line 6 Relay G90 wireless, Helix Rack, Gibson Les Paul Axcess, through the band's front of house PA system, plus monitors. The wireless system is currently plugged into the Helix return 1 to save putting a lead round to the from back of the flight case to the front where the Helix guitar input is located. Due to some very cutting/harsh treble sounds, I'm now using the cable length setting at about 80-90ft on the wireless. I also note that I get a much better guitar sound not using the wireless system (using a standard cable) and using the guitar input on the front of the Helix. Am I missing something obvious to get the Relay G90 working better with the Helix rack system? Now I know there are plenty ways I can vary the Helix set-up, but I'm more interested in getting my source sound sorted, otherwise no amount of Helix tweaking will improve the overall sound. Are there any tricks, tips, hints, etc for G90/Helix use. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Peter.

OK I've changed to going through the guitar input. Thanks.

Please note this is what I was told by Lien 6 tech-support Feb 20, 05:54 AM Hi there, yes, this will work. Connect the G90 to a return jack of the Helix, Return 1 for instance. Choose Return 1 as your input block. Also make sure that the Send/Return 1 level is set to "Instrument", not to "Line" (global settings, ins/outs, page 2).

So, can we conclude that using the return as an input for the G90 is not recommended?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 9:58 PM, Spazerflitz said:

Has this been corrected at all. If I have to have cables in the front, that defeats the purpose for me to get the rack mount. 

Or is the xlr an option from the xlr out from the g90? 

Your whole purpose of getting a Helix Rack was to not have a cable to the front?  I got a Helix Rack to keep the brain off the floor away from spilled beer and other hazards. I'd rather replace the foot controller after a mishap than the whole thing.   I just ran a very short cable from the back of the G90 around to the front input on the Helix.  I actually used  George-L custom that I had from an old pedal board so I could cut it to exact length.  It has an angle jack style plug so it can stay plugged even when I put the rack cover on. 

I DO wish they had put the main impedance switching input on the back panel, but I consider it a minor complaint.  It certainly doesn't lead me to regret purchasing the Rack vs the Floor version.