Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Microsoft Surface products warning

jbright44

Fyi to all of you here, I had some very frustrating and mysterious issues related to USB connectivity and after much weeping and gnashing of teeth discovered the problem is with the Surface. Line 6 support initially told me the following

"We have see a few different Surface Books that have had connection issues with USB. It's not something that we can fix, since its hardware related. The best thing I can recommend for you is to try it on another computer.

The Surface Book is really a hit or miss, its not guaranteed to work. It's not supported.

Sorry for any inconvenience."

Originally I was incredulous but after a long journey that I won't bore you with they are absolutely correct.

So I know there have been discuss a on here about using the Helix edit with a tablet and people recommending the Surface. I would tell you to steer clear.... I'm now having to use an old MacBook at home just to run my helix.

Although I do not own a MS Surface unit, I have used Three (3), since November 2016 and at different times, to download and install the Helix firmware suite: Updater, Editor, and Firmware, to updated the Firmware to my Helix Floor. Aside from the Helix software not rendering at full screen size nor high resolution on the display, the firmware installation always went without a hitch.

Hopefully, once Helix Native is released, and following that, the next firmware (version 2.3) and the revised Helix Editor will work properly on the MS Surface units.

I used my surface book successfully for a while and then one day it decided not to work anymore. The USB problems came out of nowhere and once they came it was impossible to get it to work again. I went so far as to reinstall windows to make sure it wasn't a bad driver issue.

Buyer beware

In my experience with a Surface Pro 3, it seems that I often have to plug/unplug things several times before they are recognized. At least that was the case with a USB capture card. Have even had to do that with the dock. Not sure if it was just the capture card or USB in general, though, as I don't generally connect things to the USB. But yeah. Great device otherwise, though.

My job has supplied me with a surface pro 2 and just for testing I installed the Helix software. I didn't run into any issues but I also didn't use it for any length of time.

I've also installed the MS remote desktop app for Android to control the Helix connected to a laptop. Works great, but hardly usable for gigging and whatnot.

Maybe it's intermittent. I don't know. My surface book worked great for a year as well no problems. Then one day it stopped and never worked again.

Reformatted windows, updated OS, new USB drivers, new surface firmware, new cables etc etc. Then line 6 told me the news. Switched to the MacBook, no issues.