Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp volume settings / unit headroom

xmacvicar

I have been getting more and more into my FHFX. One thing I am getting into now is amp or channel volume. Up until now I seem to have all of my patches cranked in this regard - usually 80-90 percent volume.

I have been reading up on this. The hd500x guide I always refer to (http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/tipsAndPitfalls) says they keep this generally conservative at 40-50% amp volume. When I first got the fhfx I seemed like my patches were lifeless or fake sounding when the volume was this low but maybe I am missing something here in terms of overall output or headroom? I guess I could always boost the overall output (red ring) to bring things up in my FRFR and having patches around 40-50 amp volumes means more room to play with matching patch volumes rather than if everything was cranked at 80-90.

Thoughts?

Simulating tube amps suggest to crank volume to obtain best tone. 

For example using Soldano SLO clean emulation + classic distortion (SOLO 100 clean on FHFX) I set volume @ 57% and master @ 35% for rhythm and I have another preset for lead, same amp + classic distortion with volume 80% and master 77% .

Overall output allows plenty of volume to boost in case of need.

Simulating tube amps suggest to crank volume to obtain best tone. 

For example using Soldano SLO clean emulation + classic distortion (SOLO 100 clean on FHFX) I set volume @ 57% and master @ 35% for rhythm and I have another preset for lead, same amp + classic distortion with volume 80% and master 77% .

Overall output allows plenty of volume to boost in case of need.

Only issue here is that the volume slider on each patch (under the amp) has zero impact on tone. Its literally just for balancing the sounds of patches. Even line 6 states: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/firehawk/different-firehawk-volume-controls-r736

The Channel Volume is like a Master for just the amp, and it is stored with the patch. It adjusts the output level without affecting the tone. This is the control you use to level your presets relative to each other. 

So driving the 'volume' on the amp block technically does nothing for the tone according to this.