Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to Variax tech and thinking about getting one

Hi, I am looking into picking up a JVT-89F but am unfamiliar with the technology. While I have read through the manuals there are still some things I am not fully wrapping my brain around. 

I am looking to consolidate some of the guitars in my home studio (Strat, Rogue Sitar, , etc.) where I use a UAD Apollo 8p--whether or not that is relevant to answering the below questions. I do not intend to do a lot of tweaking and making custom guitar models. Just taking advantage of the models it comes with -> 8p -> into DAW and amp emulation software. In that case, is Workbench even needed?

1) Each JVT has a standard TS 1/4" output so that it can be used as a typical guitar (i.e., guitar -> 1/4" cable -> amp)?

Using this, you would not be able to take advantage of the guitar models?

2) What I wasn't understanding was how to get the CAT network cable looking VDI output into the computer. Upon some reading, it sounds like you are supposed to plug it into an interface and then from interface, USB into computer. I wasn't sure what interfaces, but apparently it is any number of Line 6 products that have VDI in.

Is there an alternative? I thought I saw someone mention a Yamaha device. 

If you are forced to buy a POD to take advantage of the models, or something, to use the Variax then it might be a no go for me. Don't have the rack space, nor the need for one. Is there just a simple VDI to USB converter? 

In the event that the guitar models are playable through the 1/4" jack, I have heard there are issues with the A string being too low in volume, which requires Workbench to increase. I might be forced to find a way to get the VDI into the computer for processing workbench. 

I am looking to consolidate some of the guitars in my home studio (Strat, Rogue Sitar, , etc.) where I use a UAD Apollo 8p--whether or not that is relevant to answering the below questions. I do not intend to do a lot of tweaking and making custom guitar models. Just taking advantage of the models it comes with -> 8p -> into DAW and amp emulation software. In that case, is Workbench even needed?

In the event that the guitar models are playable through the 1/4" jack, I have heard there are issues with the A string being too low in volume, which requires Workbench to increase. I might be forced to find a way to get the VDI into the computer for processing workbench.

It's extraordinarily unlikely that you will be able to get by without using Workbench at all. Even if you have no intention of creating any custom models, you're gonna find the need to tweak some of the stock ones whether you like it or not. Piezo outputs vary, as do the relative volumes of some of the modeled guitars. The need to balance individual string volumes of certain models (especially the Strat) is pretty much inevitable. But you don't need another L6 product to do it... Just use the USB dongle that comes with the guitar.

• Upvote 1