Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Effects blocks and paths

leftyz

Ok...I feel like I'm just not "getting it" as far as effects blocks and paths. I run 4CM through my modded Marshall DSL40C. Is there a big difference between just using a single FX block before the amp/preamp and using separate send and return blocks before and after the amp/preamp? Also - serial vs parallel paths - I know there's no "rules" per se on where to put effects but what do most people use parallel paths for?

I usually run reverbs and delays in parallel paths so that my delays maintain definition and do not get washed out by the reverbs. If I want a more ambient/synthy sound, I run them in series so it all gets kind of mixed up together. 

@leftyz, it all depends on what you're trying to do, or, alternatively, which positions best suit your tonal tastes.

If you do, explore parallel paths, also be aware that the Encircled Input Block of Path 1B or 2A may be reconfigured to use the FX Return. SImply select the Input Block with the Joystick and Press In on the Joystick. Then select the desired FX Return. Should you wish to route the Output Block to an FX Send, this may be done as well.

The Helix has lots of options, explore them and use what works best for you.

That's what I was thinking...I run those in a serial path after the return block from the amp and even with the mix on reverbs and delays down it still sounds a little harsh...

I also do a high cut in the reverbs at 1kHz with the mix no more than 50%. That takes some of the high "shrillyness" out of them. 

I'll try that as well...and @Music Law - did not know you could do that! I'll play around with that too. That's the thing with Helix - soooo many options (and so little time,lol).

There are tons of downloadable presets to play with for going through FRFR with Helix but not so much for 4CM that I've been able to find...not many examples to go from. That's why I also asked about the difference between separate send/return blocks and a single FX loop before the amp model. Having all the options available leaves me free to really screw up my tone! :-) Maybe one of these days I'll do the FRFR option but that will be a while...

Maybe one of these days I'll do the FRFR option but that will be a while...

Be careful, you may never go back from FRFR once you try it. I don't play through any "real" guitar amps any more. Just a couple of JBL EON 610s at home, and through front of house/in ear monitors everywhere else where possible. 

post-2402848-0-78402600-1498829874_thumb.jpg

Be careful, you may never go back from FRFR once you try it. I don't play through any "real" guitar amps any more. Just a couple of JBL EON 610s at home, and through front of house/in ear monitors everywhere else where possible.

That's what I've heard...and nice rig btw. I actually have 2 EON 612's that I use for monitors in my PA...hmmmm...

That's what I've heard...and nice rig btw. I actually have 2 EON 612's that I use for monitors in my PA...hmmmm...

Give it a try since you already have them. Keep it simple at first. I don't know what kind of playing you do, but drop in your favorite amp model, your favorite cab or dual cab model (try two different cabs with two mics and two different early reflection settings), and throw in a reverb after the cabs. 

My current favorite with my strats/teles is Brit Plexi Brt amp (don't change any parameters on it), Dual cab: 4x12 greenback 25 R121 Mic 25% early reflection, 2x12 Interstate R121 mic 100% early reflection, Cave reverb after the cab dwell at 1.5 seconds high cut at 1kHz and mix at 30% or so. Plexi cleans up really nicely with the guitar volume knob. Sounds great on bridge humbucker  on my HSS strat too.