Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Unable to add effects/amps?

Slimo

I got my Helix LT a few days ago, so I'm sure this is a very nooby question....

But I have noticed when making my own presets, occasionally I will go to add another effects to the signal path and the majority of options will be unavailable (kinda greyed out).  From memory the volume option is usually selectable, and even some distortions (but not all).

These aren't crazy paths either, there might be 4 or 5 blocks in the chain but I try to add another and it seems to have hit some kind of limit.

Any ideas?  From the presets it's obvious that a lot more effects and amps can be added so I'm definitely doing something wrong!

You're right - you are hitting a limit. There are two DSP processors in Helix; one for each Path A and B. Once your signal path approaches the DSP limit the unavailable options are greyed out.

Try routing the Output block of Path A into the Input block of Path B. That will double the amount of processing power available for the preset.

• Upvote 1

Actually, the resources of the Helix's two DSP chips are allocated to Paths 1 and 2. Not A and B. Silverhead is clearly aware of this and merely typo'ed above.

One DSP chip services everything placed on Path 1A and 1B. The other services Path 2A and 2B.

What you are enountering is the manner by which Helix shows that certain Block types are no longer available, based on what you have placed in your Signal Chain. The remedy is to use Path 2 A and/or 2B as you may need to accomodate your Block Model selections.

There are some constraints to how many Amp Blocks and Cab Blocks may be placed in any one Helix Preset. This Dynamic DSP allocation is described on pages 19-20 of the Helix 2.0 User Manual (Rev D) PDF, available from the Helix Support area on the Line 6 website. Essentially it states:

Amp+Cab, Amp, or Preamp blocks: Any combination, up to four (two per path)

Cab blocks (includes Amp+Cab blocks): Up to four (two per path; Cab > Dual blocks are considered two)

Impulse Response blocks: Up to four 1024-point IRs (two per path) or two 2048-point IRs (one per path)

Looper block: One

• 5 months later...

Select the output block of Path 1 and route it to Path 2A rather than to, for instance, Multi.

Got it, thanks! I am just getting the basics down. Now my job is to figure out how to get that "Amp in the room" sound from my Helix LT and two JBL Eon 610 speakers. Right now it sounds awful.

• 1 year later...
On 12/23/2017 at 9:11 PM, silverhead said:

Make sure your output is set to Line and use your Line inputs on your speakers. Make sure there is a cab or IR in your signal chain - don't use just an amp with no cab with your setup.

To this end, what is the 'best' or 'preferred' way to signal if you are using IRs? amp+cab, amp/cab combo, or just amp+IR versus amp+cab combo AND IR? Also a newbie, but am currently using amp/cab combo and IR immediately after that?

2 minutes ago, vaiisking said:

To this end, what is the 'best' or 'preferred' way to signal if you are using IRs? amp+cab, amp/cab combo, or just amp+IR versus amp+cab combo AND IR? Also a newbie, but am currently using amp/cab combo and IR immediately after that?

The IR substitutes for the cab, so use it in place of a cab, with a single amp only block before it.