Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

69s palm muted high pitch / screechy sound (EMERGENCY!)

Line 6 Variax JTV-69S 3TS 3 Tone Sunburst 

via VDI into the Helix (V2.21)

Please excuse the rush; but I have a gig tomorrow and just can't get rid of this high pitch / screechy sound. Most noticable on palm mutes; but sometimes on open chords aswell. 

A few months back I played the exact same variax guitar (in blue though) with the exact same preset, and there was no such sound. 

The issue doesn't occur when I use the magnetic pickups. So I rule out the preset as source of the issue.

Here is a record of the problem: First bit, variax model "Spank 5", second bit magnetic neck pickup only.

The issue does not only occur in this particular preset / variax model combo; I notice it in a bunch of situations.

(I use this preset: https://de.line6.com/customtone/tone/2813502/)

I hope so much that you guys can help me. Thanks!

JTV 69s High pitch.mp3

Happy reading! And good luck. It's a

known issue with no universal solution.

You might be able to mitigate it to some extent with the various "fixes" offered in the first link below, but the bottom line is, don't expect a miraculous turnaround from any of them. Some guitars do it, some don't...same goes for the remedies. Success rates vary widely from one afflicted instrument to the next.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/james-tyler-variax-guitars/clang-tone-on-variax-guitars-r863

http://line6.com/support/topic/6764-do-you-have-the-same-problem-with-6th-string/page-23?do=findComment&comment=218091

• Upvote 1

Holy cow... Thanks for the quick reply. Still very disappointed though; new gear one week before the gig, never a good idea .. I guess–

The low E and A string rattled, .. so I slightly elevated the whole bridge with these 2 screws going right in the body. Since then the rattle is gone, but I fear the clang tone got worse. Does this make any sense?

[EDIT]

Firmware update is also not possible for me, because the JTV doesn't start modelling with a battery, although all 4 LEDs on the back of the guitar flash once when I press the test button.. And updating through the Helix seems to be impossible aswell. Not that the update would change anything; the variax is on 2.21 (newest 2.22 I guess?).. but I wonder if these 2 issues are known to be related somehow?

Holy cow... Thanks for the quick reply. Still very disappointed though; new gear one week before the gig, never a good idea .. I guess–

The low E and A string rattled, .. so I slightly elevated the whole bridge with these 2 screws going right in the body. Since then the rattle is gone, but I fear the clang tone got worse. Does this make any sense?

[EDIT]

Firmware update is also not possible for me, because the JTV doesn't start modelling with a battery, although all 4 LEDs on the back of the guitar flash once when I press the test button.. And updating through the Helix seems to be impossible aswell. Not that the update would change anything; the variax is on 2.21 (newest 2.22 I guess?).. but I wonder if these 2 issues are known to be related somehow?

Everybody's been wondering about this phenomenon. Including the folks who built the thing, as you can see from their "final word" on the subject...which is essentially, "yeah it happens". One of two things needs to happen if this is ever to be solved to anyone's satisfaction. Either there needs to be some magic algorithm to better filter out the "plink" or "clang", or whatever you wish to call it, or somebody has to invent some other way of isolating the signal from each individual string that doesn't rely on physical contact with the string itself. Personally I don't think we'll see either of those things anytime soon.