Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problem with PV Panama amp.

ClashADAD

Hello everyone. So I have been using my POD HD Pro X for a while now and its an absolute beast. I have had no gripes with anything in the system whatsoever, until recently I had bought the HD Metal Pack, specifically for the 5150 amp. Now I play in very low tunings, Drop A# on 6/Drop F on 7, and I always cut anything below 120hz on every patch. Now, when I started messing around with the 5150, I was immediately disappointed. It sounds like there is a fuzz pedal on the amp, and I keep my gain relatively middle ground for every distortion patch I make, around 50-60 depending on the guitar. I have tried different cabs and mics, turning cabs off, running both the full amp head vs the preamp head version and the problem still persists.

My signal chain looks like this with all of my distortion patches: Guitar -> Noise Gate -> Screamer -> Noise Gate -> Amp/Cab -> Any effects, EQ, etc.

Anyone have any tips on how to get around this? Thanks for all the help.

When I used this amp on the HD, I remember it being especially buzzy or fizzy. I had to use it so the gain was around 25%-30%, no more than that. You could supplement the distortion if that's not enough by driving the amp harder in some way, such as a compressor set with a high output level, or a distortion with a low distortion and high output level. Or perhaps use a dual amp configuration with either of the amps' gain set no more than 30%. Despite the fizziness of this amp on the HD, it was still easily my most favorite. It's also interesting that on Helix, this amp does not have nearly the same fizziness problem.

• Upvote 1

If you take a look at my frequency response measurements here, you'll see that the PV Panama has a pretty severe peak at 2.5kHz on both the preamp and the amp. That explains the fizziness and clues you in on the best way to remove it (set the Parametric EQ to 2.5kHz (77%) with a Q around 50% or so).

<p>I second duncann on this.<br />

For some reason there seems to be some aliasing distortion in this and the 2204. Lowering the gain<br />

fixes it for the most part.</p>

<p>But that was a guess to make sense of it and a proper look could be the 2.5k lump pfsmith is talking about</p>