Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What to use for quiet home use playback ? Newbie question

Samdevos

Hello, 

I currently have a amplifi 75 . Which  i'm using it as my pc speaker for backing tracks   and play along guitar with my amplifi  . ( you get the idea)

But because i want more control en better quality i 'm thinking of buying a helix and upgrading my speaker.

But what to choose ? should i buy good pc speakers ? or studio monitors ? and can i have the same setup (playin pc music through the monitors with the helix?).

and do studio monitors go well with normal music?...

Like i said i'm newbie and i want something easy . and  good sound on QUIET volume levels.

pls tell me what i need :) . 

thx

The amplifi should work fine. Or you can get any number of powered PA speakers. Studio monitors are a good option as well.

I like the powered pa speaker personally because when I play live it's going through a PA and mixing at home with a similar type of device I feel gets me closest.

The Amplifi should be fine - it sounds like you either aren't a live player, or you want a home system for when you are at home!?!

But instead of using the Amplifi as a guitar amp, you would run the Helix into the amplifi like you do your music - so it's a clean flat sound system without any coloring from the guitar effects side.

That way the Helix is totally creating the guitar sound.

I use studio monitors at home - that also works fine - and is not too different to my live set up as I go FRFR and straight out to FOH.

What you can combine depends totally on the setup - if you are using the music input on your Amplifi, then obviously you won't be hearing your music through that too.

What I do is run it all from my computer. So the Helix is connected to the computer by USB - that lets me use the Helix as the audio interface - I come out of the Helix into the amp and speakers (if you have self powered speakers then It's a tiny bit simpler.......)  The Helix will pass through the audio from the computer - music, Youtube or whatever.  I use the Editor on the computer to control the Helix - all works well.  But it will never be as simple as your Amplifi - it was designed to plug in a guitar and some audio and play along.  Introducing the Helix is going to lead to a more complex setup.