Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider IV HD150 Chorus knob issue

Tegamal

Sometimes, when I turn up the Master Volume, it'll start changing the Chorus settings. If I tap on the Chorus knob, it will go away, but not a complete fix, as it will do it again when it gets bumped, so it sounds to me like it's a loose connection After doing more testing, I found out that it only does this when the knob is in the Chorus area, as soon as I move it to Phaser/Tremolo, the issue is completely gone.  I've had this amp for years, and never had an issue with it. That is, until I go to sell it.

Does anyone know if there's something I can do? I already tried a Factory Reset. Electrical contact cleaner, perhaps?

Sounds like it may be 'loose knob syndrome' - the extra volume causes vibration , making the knob turn a little bit.  Only solution I've seen for this is installing a small rubber o-ring under the knob.

Not sure how that would fix the issue, though. It's not like the knob is loose or anything, but it only acts this way when the knob is in the chorus field of the dial. In Phaser/Tremolo, it works perfectly.

Well, you said it was when you turned up the volume, which could possibly introduce enough vibration to move the knob slightly.

Sorry, you might have misunderstood me. When I turn up the master volume, it acts as if I'm turning the chorus knob as well. The Master Volume knob controls both the vol and the Chorus.

Could be a loose potentiometer retainer nut under the knob.

Loose pot affects the chassis ground. Make certain the retainer nut is snug (not tight, but snug).

Do not spray contact cleaner directly into it.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/general-faq/cleaning-pots-and-faders-r816

I didn't try any contact cleaners. The nut is snug, but not cranked on. 

A friend of mine bought the head for his son's band, but was made well aware of the issue. He said they'd work around it or get it fixed, but I'd still like to help him out if I can.

"... it acts as if I'm turning the chorus knob as well. The Master Volume knob controls both the vol and the Chorus"---

That sounds like a short somewhere. That should be taken to an authorized service center. They will have access to service info and me.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm having a very similar issue... When I turn up the Channel Volume, the Effect knob next to it (gain,waha,pitch) also is effected. So far, the work around is to push in the effect knob a little while adjusting the Channel Volume, setting the preset, and sometimes reselecting that preset by selecting a different preset and selecting the one I just "fixed" I'd like to fix it. Any help? Thanks