Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and FCB1010

rnelson40

I have a Helix rack with a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controller.  In my Helix I'm using 5 setlists.......I can program the FCB1010 to pick a certain preset within the current setlist but don't know how to program it to pick thru different setlists.......

For instance, let's say I want Pedal 1 to change to Preset 23 in Setlist 2, but I want Pedal 2 to change to Preset 10 in Setlist 4...........how would this be done?

Sorry for the newbie question, thanks!

IF you have the UNO chip
THEN the following SHOULD work:

FCB configured to show PC#s starting at 001
NO PC REPEATS OFF

On the pedal you want to use:

PC1 BLANK
PC5 023
Preset CC1 CC#032 VALUE 001
STOMP1 CC1 CC#069 VALUES (both) 000
In the STOMPS column of the preset, set STOMP 1 to ON

This should send CC#32 (BANK CHANGE) with a value of 001 to select setlist 2
                            PC#023 to select preset 23
                            CC#069 value 000 to select snapshot 1

According to the manual, that should work. It doesn't. I suspect that it's because of the timing of the messages, the Helix probably needs a pause between messages. You can't do that with the FCB, even with UNO.

You can't do any of that with the stock FCB chip.

You MIGHT be able to get this to work by routing the MIDI thru a PC running BOME MIDI Translator or some such.

If you have newer firmware, press the PRESETS knob on Helix Rack. Above Knob 2 you'll see a little cheat sheet that tells you exactly what messages are required to recall the current setlist (top line, CC32, values 000-007), preset (middle line, PC 000-127), and setlist (CC69, values 000-007). So if you wanted to jump from Setlist 1 > Preset 01A to Setlist 3 > Preset 04D, you'd send Helix a CC32 message (value 002) followed by a PC (value 015) message. The cheat sheet is there so you don't need to do any math or read the manual.

Not sure if the FC1010 can send both a CC32 and PC message simultaneously from the same footswitch. EDIT: someone above just mentioned it can with the UNO chip.

FWIW, you're missing out on approximately 40% of Helix Rack's functionality by not using Helix Control. It's not just a footswitch—it's a fundamental piece of Rack's workflow. Sorry if it sounds spammy—every time I read about someone trying to shoehorn Helix Rack into a different remote system, it makes me a sad panda. If I won the lottery, I'd buy every Helix Rack owner a Helix Control.

• 2 years later...

You want the UNO chip, original (currently v1.0.4) version. And buy it from the creator, not some pirate on eBay!

https://www.fcb1010.eu/

The UNO2 chip is more powerful, but requires actual programming in a programming style editor. It's a simple programming language, but if you've never done programming or just aren't into doing it, stick with UNO.

The other UNO chips, Kemper, RC505, are designed to be used with specific hardware.

And, yes, you can send a PC followed by a CC or two or five, but you gotta READ THE MANUAL!

I used the UnO-chip for years to control different equipment and is absolutely outstanding in price performance. Made the FCB to go from a cheap controller to be a swiss army knife (in controller perspective :-). I also bought the Control Center editor (scroll down on the page rd2rk gave you). That gives a great overview of what you are doing and can make quick changes. In other words, can skip to push buttons on the FCB and actually get a view of what you are doing.

UnO and the Control Center, best investment…  So sorry I sold it as I invested in a HX LT and thought I did't need it anymore, so stupid.

Take care  //Per