Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Teaser: 1983 Marshall® 1960A JCM 800 Lead Series™ Guitar Amp Cab

DrBonkersSndLab

Have  I lost my mind? If you read the FAQ on my site, you know that I was not interested in capturing Marshall cabs because there were so many ir's of them already on the market in so many different varieties.

However, my friend's cab is the best sounding one I ever came across. It was loaded with the original Celestion G12-80's when we opened it up and checked the codes on the speakers.

That made me change my mind about offering ir's of this cab, but there are still quite a few G12-80 loaded cab ir's on the market.

What would make you try my guitar cab ir's like so many bass players have tried and liked my ir files?

I will give you extreme value for your hard earned cash. If you order the wav file pack, I have priced this cab pack at under $1.00 USD.

My hope is you will try this out  and will feel safe about buying my other guitar cab packs.

For more details, please message me.

Each of the video links has more details regarding how each demo was recorded, but rest assured there was no additional track processing or double tracking of guitar or bass.

Yeah, well, I gave him a shot for a buck. He mostly does bass cab IRs I think, don't see a ton of reviews, but he's a "real" shop from what I can tell, and I don't mind hearing about new stuff that's applicable.

Not sure what either policy or culture around manufacturer announcements here. I know the new cabIR 4-pack is "announced" in an old thread about their site being down briefly. It's too bad, lots of people will completely ignore it.

• Upvote 1

I love the smell of spam in the morning. Smells like...rancid canned meat by-products. ;)

Wow, as someone new to this community that is trying to let people know about something that may help them in their tone quest as other providers have done here, thanks for the hearty and warm welcome. 

Wow, as someone new to this community that is trying to let people know about something that may help them in their tone quest as other providers have done here, thanks for the hearty and warm welcome.

Oh, relax. The little smiley face means "just goofing around"...may you sell a million downloads and retire early.

Yeah, well, I gave him a shot for a buck. He mostly does bass cab IRs I think, don't see a ton of reviews, but he's a "real" shop from what I can tell, and I don't mind hearing about new stuff that's applicable.

Hi,

Did you get a chance to try out the cab ir's?

What did you think?

I do mostly bass cab ir's and really oddball guitar cab ir's because I find most ir producers only stay in the guitar cab  land of Marshall, Fender, Mesa, etc. when there is a whole world of other sounds out there.

I decided to produce a Marshall guitar cab set of ir's so that guitarists had sort of a baseline to judge  my quality, mic selection, technique, cab selection so that they might try out some of my more unusual guitar cabs in terms of what the ir world currently produces.

I am a young shop, but I'm quite real. I just stopped selling my first 2 exclusive sets of well received bass cab ir collections through Fractal Audio's site (after being on sale for 1 year) because I wanted to also serve the larger modelling user base of Line 6 and others who use WAV files as impulse response files.

If you have any questions on my stuff, I am more than happy to answer them as long as they are not about the type of room I use and other trade secret type of knowledge.

Thanks again for your support

-Dr B.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried the 1983 Marshal pack  with the G-12 / 80 s yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised! and you get quite a bang for the buck /..   Great cleans and crunch tones and quite a few awesome mics used as well! These ir s have a great feel to them sound better than many other IRs out there which cost much more!! 

Definitely worth trying them....

• Upvote 1

This is even getting worse then the Facebook page.... Spam "buy my presets" everywhere...

Guess the time is gone of getting something free or sharing with a community. blergh disgusted

You bought a $1,000+ USD modelling unit that was marketed to you in some way.

Someone has relevant content that is priced at $0.99 USD that users may find useful for that unit.

That does not seem to be spam according to accepted definitions of the word: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam

If you are not interested, then your clicking and commenting on the post that is clearly marked as a teaser would seem to be counterproductive and further waste of your time.

I make a heavy investment in order to provide new sounds in a different way to a community of players. Please pardon me for wanting to recoup that considerable investment by getting the word out about my stuff to people that otherwise not be able to find it easily, in order to afford to bring more new sounds to the community.

• Upvote 1

These aren't presets, they're IRs, which do exist for free, but also are quite commonly commercial offerings from professionals, since quite a bit of knowledge, experience, care, and gear is involved.

I'd never heard of Dr Bonkers before seeing his postings, and this pack is like doesn't-even-matter cheap, so for me this thread is a plus, however deeply involved with their stuff I end up being.

• Upvote 2

I have found the posts/threads by Dr.Bonkers, CabIR.eu, Fremen, Glenn Delaune and others to be relevant and intereresting, and in some cases I've chosen to give them business. I personally take no issue with it. Other forums I'm on are routinely bombarded by marketing blitzes for lollipop and Mexican pain pills and pills for enlarging certain protuberances; that's Spam and it is annoying. This in't that.

• Upvote 4