Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which Headphones Does Line 6 Recommend With The X3 Pro?

Brazzy

I have used headphones with much lower impedance (<100 ohms) quite successfully with both the X3 and the HD series. I have also used high impedance headphones. It is true that the sound quality is better with the professional grade, higher impedance headphones, but the cheaper phones will work just fine. I would avoid using earplug headsets, or any phones that are really cheap. Anything in the $60+ range should do fine.

I don't understand your question about sound differences from the recording. The recording itself makes no sound - you only get sound when you hear the playback, and that requires a monitoring (listening) device such as headphones. The better your monitors, the better the sound you hear. Different headphones will produce different sound, as will different monitors/speakers. The quality of the recording is a seperate matter - and has nothing to do with the listening devices.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Silverhead,

You've helped me out in past, I read many of your posts to other peoples issues, which answered questions I didn't even know how to ask, lol. My question about (sound differences from the recording) was probably vague 'cause of my inexperience . I believe you answered that as well though. Good job, Thanks Much.

I was using Bose the Original AE headphones and was getting a lot of clipping so to speak. These work fine with my Spider Jam but I have a harder time getting them to work right with the X3 Pro and HD 500. Is there something I'm missing when I'm making adjustments to the levels?

Have you used any other speakers/monitors with the Pods (X3 Pro and HD500)? In other words, are you sure that the headphones are the issue?  Is the sound 'good' when you listen to it using other devices?

Headphones are pretty simple things - you connect them and you hear sound. The only control you have is with the output volume of the connected device. If the sound is good through other monitors, but bad through your headphones - then either your headphones are broken or they are mismatched and you need to use different, matched phones.

I've only monitored through the Spider Jam, Bose CineMate, and my tones sound great so I'm leaning toward the headphones needing to be higher impedance. I think what I'm doing is trying to keep the noise down in my environment by keeping the amp turned down to a comfortable level. By doing this I'm losing some of the nuances of sound I like. To compensate for that loss I crank up the X3 Pro to get those nuances to come through the amp causing the output to the headphones to be too high thus causing headphone clipping. Hope I made some sense to you, I'm trying, LOL. I guess I'm trying to find that happy balance.

I think your explanation makes perfect sense.

Here's a suggestion:

- connect an mp3 player to the cd/mp3 input of your HD500 and find a song that illustrates the issue you are having - something that sounds good through the Bose CineMate but bad through your headphones. For best results, you could even use a recording from your HD500 and get it on your mp3 player.

- bring your HD500, the mp3 player, and your troublesome headphones to your local audio store that sells a range of headphones.

- experiment with different headphones using your setup until you find a pair that you like and can afford.

I think your explanation makes perfect sense.

Here's a suggestion:

- connect an mp3 player to the cd/mp3 input of your HD500 and find a song that illustrates the issue you are having - something that sounds good through the Bose CineMate but bad through your headphones. For best results, you could even use a recording from your HD500 and get it on your mp3 player.

- bring your HD500, the mp3 player, and your troublesome headphones to your local audio store that sells a range of headphones.

- experiment with different headphones using your setup until you find a pair that you like and can afford.

That's a good suggestion, Thanks Again.

• 3 years later...

I was also confused while choosing headphones. One of my friends recommended me HP 150 headphones. It is one of the affordable HD headphone with high fidelity and the sound is just awesome.

It can be confusing for sure since there's no right or wrong and several different impedances. It's nice when the right headphones are found. :)