Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT. Can I use Helix LT as an audio interface?

leoarjun

yEs you MAY USE the HilIX Lt as An AUDIO dEVice

It may seem funny - but as a community we should be more tolerant of new users, despite their typing style.   It was a legitimate question.   

I say this because one of my criteria selecting gear is how the community is.  I've found some great ones (everythingsg.com) and some horrid ones - Ernie Ball Music Man forums.   When I needed to sell a piece of gear, I kept my SG and sold my Majesty.  This may sound crazy to some, but having a good community around is worth it's weight in gold.

With that said, the Line 6 forums have been great so far - mostly helpful and experienced help.   Yes, there are the handful of "I'm going to ask a jilted question, then blast whatever response I get" and "I'm going to respond to your inquiry not to be helpful, but to show how much I know and you don't" types on here - but for the most part the Helix community is pretty tight-knit and willing to assist.   So I cringe when I see attacks like this one.   I know it's not a down right bashing, but a more subtle one - but it's not helpful and a simple "It would be easier to read your post if you use proper capitalization and punctuation." response would be more on point.

I digress though - and, yes, you can use Helix LT as an audio interface.   The full Helix has more in and out routing, and allows you to track more instruments at once, but Helix LT will definitely play well as an audio interface and track by track type recorder.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely valid point. Not that I'm a spokes-monkey for anything, but we all mean to be welcoming here, it's important. The vast majority of posts here are friendly, helpful, and civilized, and I'm sure everyone means it to be that way.

I doubt @johnonguitar meant to make fun of @leoarjun, just making light of some odd typographics, and maybe pointing out that that that posting style might distract from what was being said.

I hope you weren't offended @leoarjun.

• Upvote 2

It may seem funny - but as a community we should be more tolerant of new users, despite their typing style. It was a legitimate question.

I say this because one of my criteria selecting gear is how the community is. I've found some great ones (everythingsg.com) and some horrid ones - Ernie Ball Music Man forums. When I needed to sell a piece of gear, I kept my SG and sold my Majesty. This may sound crazy to some, but having a good community around is worth it's weight in gold.

With that said, the Line 6 forums have been great so far - mostly helpful and experienced help. Yes, there are the handful of "I'm going to ask a jilted question, then blast whatever response I get" and "I'm going to respond to your inquiry not to be helpful, but to show how much I know and you don't" types on here - but for the most part the Helix community is pretty tight-knit and willing to assist. So I cringe when I see attacks like this one. I know it's not a down right bashing, but a more subtle one - but it's not helpful and a simple "It would be easier to read your post if you use proper capitalization and punctuation." response would be more on point.

I digress though - and, yes, you can use Helix LT as an audio interface. The full Helix has more in and out routing, and allows you to track more instruments at once, but Helix LT will definitely play well as an audio interface and track by track type recorder.

Hey, there's a fairytale missing their white knight.

And I pick Gear on whether it does what I need it to or not.

Not whether the members manufacturers forum want to hold my hand or not.

Snowflake

• Downvote 1

Keep in mind that there is a lot of restriction on LT if you use it as an interface.

With only one input plus the FX loop... if you are going to record at all with mikes or more than one instrument at once, you really should step up to full Helix.

• Like 1

Hey, there's a fairytale missing their white knight.

And I pick Gear on whether it does what I need it to or not.

Not whether the members manufacturers forum want to hold my hand or not.

Snowflake

Even though you want to insult - I'll give you personal experience on a particular manufacturer forum I had -

I was having a problem with a $3000 guitar - and I wasn't sure if it was a manufacturing defect or I was just missing something.  Guitars I bought in the 80's and 90's were different, simple, easily user serviceable.  Some newer guitars these days have a lot more electronics, integrated circuits, etc.  I visited the forums looking for some advice and tips to maybe remedy it myself before sending it back on a long trip to a different coast.   I got the condescending type response, very much like yours.   I didn't let it bother me, because you know, everyone has their 2 cents these days on user forums.   However, I also got a response from one the the manufacture representatives stating that I shouldn't post problems with the equipment on the forum.   I ended up selling that guitar back for a replacement.  I kept noticing the same thing on these forums - that any issues posted were met with a suppression by the manufacturers representatives -- and on top of that, the community would jump to the defense of the manufacture and belittle anyone having issues with the equipment.   It was unnerving.  I've used a lot of equipment - mesa, line 6, PRS, gibson, marshall, blackstar, ART, etc. etc. etc.   Most of these communities are great - but I've found a few that the community is steered and moderated heavily by the manufacturer and the slightest criticism of a product or feature is met with harsh insult.   It turns me off.  I don't give a crap if a piece of guitar gear can cook me breakfast in the morning - if the manufacturer is going to go through that trouble to steer vitriol at simple user questions it speaks to how they will support their product and maybe even to the quality control issues they may have.

So choose whatever gear you want.  For me, as not only a part time musician, but IT professional, the level of support a vendor is going to provide and the way they handle input from their user base speaks volumes to me.   There is plenty of gear that will do what I need it to.   Having resources to help me when things go wrong is definitely a selling point to me.

No manufacturer suppression of opinions here that I've seen, and most people's experience with Line 6 support has been stellar, mine included. Some people here do champion Helix, probably most, but that's because they like it -- they wouldn't keep hanging around here if they didn't. Many also own competing units, and talk about similarities and differences.

As a general rule, people are friendly and helpful. Seems like there's been an influx of new folks lately, probably as a result of the lower-priced LT, so many of the same questions get asked repeatedly, but that's ok. I asked a lot of them too when I got mine.

Even though you want to insult - I'll give you personal experience on a particular manufacturer forum I had -

I was having a problem with a $3000 guitar - and I wasn't sure if it was a manufacturing defect or I was just missing something. Guitars I bought in the 80's and 90's were different, simple, easily user serviceable. Some newer guitars these days have a lot more electronics, integrated circuits, etc. I visited the forums looking for some advice and tips to maybe remedy it myself before sending it back on a long trip to a different coast. I got the condescending type response, very much like yours. I didn't let it bother me, because you know, everyone has their 2 cents these days on user forums. However, I also got a response from one the the manufacture representatives stating that I shouldn't post problems with the equipment on the forum. I ended up selling that guitar back for a replacement. I kept noticing the same thing on these forums - that any issues posted were met with a suppression by the manufacturers representatives -- and on top of that, the community would jump to the defense of the manufacture and belittle anyone having issues with the equipment. It was unnerving. I've used a lot of equipment - mesa, line 6, PRS, gibson, marshall, blackstar, ART, etc. etc. etc. Most of these communities are great - but I've found a few that the community is steered and moderated heavily by the manufacturer and the slightest criticism of a product or feature is met with harsh insult. It turns me off. I don't give a crap if a piece of guitar gear can cook me breakfast in the morning - if the manufacturer is going to go through that trouble to steer vitriol at simple user questions it speaks to how they will support their product and maybe even to the quality control issues they may have.

So choose whatever gear you want. For me, as not only a part time musician, but IT professional, the level of support a vendor is going to provide and the way they handle input from their user base speaks volumes to me. There is plenty of gear that will do what I need it to. Having resources to help me when things go wrong is definitely a selling point to me.

I don't even have time to read what you wrote. Where do you people get the time to write essays on a bunch of crap? Go play guitar!

• Downvote 2

Thanks @johnonguitar and @sheehanje ...In my opinion it was quite funny :D Haha. 

So basically tone wise if we were to compare the LINE6 Helix with the Fractal audio Fx8 an AX8

what according to you people would stand better. I really feel with UI in mind the Helix is the Best . Also can the Fractal Fx8 and Ax8 be used as an interface, or is this exclusive only to the HELIX. Btw 4CM is possible on both the Helix and the Helix LT right ?? 

Axe FX II can act as an interface with a similar specification to Helix (8 in/out), but it is one of the features lost in the "cut down" versions FX8 and AX8.

This is significant, but if you already have an audio interface, it might not matter one bit.

I kept my SG and sold my Majesty.  This may sound crazy to some, but having a good community around is worth it's weight in gold.

I say keep the guitar that suits you best and wish the nice forum members a kind farewell. That said, it's hard to put down a nice SG.  :)

I say keep the guitar that suits you best and wish the nice forum members a kind farewell. That said, it's hard to put down a nice SG.  :)

I liked both guitars - a lot - but one of my kids needed emergency dental work and I sold it for a quick influx of cash.   I don't regret keeping the SG.  I probably liked both guitars equally - but my experience on each respective community forums left the decision of which to sell that much easier.  I'm not stupid though - if the SG wasn't something I didn't like playing I would've kept the Majesty.  But the SG was my dream guitar for a long time.  I even have the one everyone else seems to hate - the 2015 Standard with the Les Paul signature and hologram on it.   Replaced the robot tuners on it, but I absolutely love the way it plays - I prefer the wider neck on that years model.   I've had other SG's, but that one fits me so well - all my other guitars are just this guitar's backup.  I hope I never have to get rid of it... 

I have an SG as well- and my granddaughter is a degreed artist and so she spiced mine up a bit...  :)

CEAPNvR.jpg

Very nice!  I have standard heritage cherry - unfortunately the only artist in my family is my 5 year old and I don't think I want stick figure people and spiders on my guitar....