Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A newbie question - how switch pickups on Variax Models

JimDiGritz

So I understand the basic mechanics, however even after reading the User Manual I'm still missing something!

I want to play the T-Model 3, Bridge pickup.

I push the Model knob in (it lights up), then select T-Model.

If I move the 5 way selector to the middle 3 position I can see on Workbench that I'm using the T-Model 3. Great.

But how do I select the Bridge pickup on this T-Model 3? If I move the 5 way selector to the Bridge 1 position I'm now playing the T-Model 1...

Probably missing something obvious!

Labels notwithstanding, there's only 1 Tele model in there. Same with the Strat. It's all the same modeled guitar...each switch position is just different a different pickup, or pickup combo. Positions 1,3, and 5 are just like the real thing...a standard Tele with single coils and a 3-position switch. Positions 2 and 4 are the same modeled guitar, but with humbuckers in the bridge and neck positions, respectively.

Some of the others, like the LP, they actually modeled two different guitars, each with different pickups. It's a little confusing at first...

Labels notwithstanding, there's only 1 Tele model in there. Same with the Strat. It's all the same modeled guitar...each switch position is just different a different pickup, or pickup combo. Positions 1,3, and 5 are just like the real thing...a standard Tele with single coils and a 3-position switch. Positions 2 and 4 are the same modeled guitar, but with humbuckers in the bridge and neck positions, respectively.

Some of the others, like the LP, they actually modeled two different guitars, each with different pickups. It's a little confusing at first...

Thanks,but am still very confused!

I get that there's only 1 tele 'body' but there are presets with different pup configurations (eg T Model 4 which is HH)

If for example I want to play the bridge Humbucker in the T4 model - how do I select it? I can select T4 by moving the 'pickup' selector, but I can't move from the neck pickup....

Oh wait I see what you mean, the 5 way switches between the pup configs... I get it... you have to create a unique 'model' for each active pup.

I thought you created a... say 3 Humbucker Tele Model and then somehow switched between the pups another way - it's a shame you have to 'waste' the presets to cover all pickup combinations you might want, but at least I understand now!

Cheers

If for example I want to play the bridge Humbucker in the T4 model - how do I select it? I can select T4 by moving the 'pickup' selector, but I can't move from the neck pickup....

You can't... in position 4, you're gonna hear a Tele with a humbucker in the neck position. Position 2 will give you that same guitar with a humbucker on the bridge. There's no need to create any custom models, because you'd just be duplicating what's already there. There's only one Tele body to choose, and either the neck or bridge wide range Tele humbucker models... but that's exactly what you've already got.

You can't... in position 4, you're gonna hear a Tele with a humbucker in the neck position. Position 2 will give you that same guitar with a humbucker on the bridge. There's no need to create any custom models, because you'd just be duplicating what's already there. There's only one Tele body to choose, and either the neck or bridge wide range Tele humbucker models... but that's exactly what you've already got.

Understood - though I guess I would have to replace one of the presets if I wanted a T Model with both Humbuckers active