Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which Headphones Does Line 6 Recommend For The Hd Series?

Brazzy

In the past, the official "line" has been that they do not support headphones with less than 200 ohms.

Many people use lower impedance phones, but they will be loud, and don't ask for help if you have any problems.

I use a Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm pair. I like them, but some argue their accuracy. I'm a little disappointed in their durability, given the $200 price tag, since the cable connection at the phones has broken after about 2 years. (Duct tape to the rescue.) I've used lots of other phones though and haven't broken my HD400 with them, FWIW.

• Upvote 1

In the past, the official "line" has been that they do not support headphones with less than 200 ohms.

Many people use lower impedance phones, but they will be loud, and don't ask for help if you have any problems.

I use a Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm pair. I like them, but some argue their accuracy. I'm a little disappointed in their durability, given the $200 price tag, since the cable connection at the phones has broken after about 2 years. (Duct tape to the rescue.) I've used lots of other phones though and haven't broken my HD400 with them, FWIW.

Thank You, that sounds like a good recommendation. I've been doing a lot of searching for headphones in the higher impedance ranges. The Original Bose AE's just seem too light duty for the signal their getting. They work great with the Spider Jam alone and iPods, iPads and iPhones.

Wow! I'm way off! Mine are only 63 ohms!!!!

My ears are still pretty good, but may be a little off after years and constant exposure to loud unmusical environments such as "Machine Shops", "Auto Shops", and  "Motorcycle Shops". That's not to mention all the "high power rifles and revolvers", "chain saws", and "lawnmowers and weedwackers" I've used, LOL. That's just what comes to mind at this moment.

Don't be overly concerned about impedance ratings for casual listening. Trust your ears. I've used both low and high impedance headphones with my Pod HD devices. There is definitely an improvement in sound quality with the higher impedance headphones. Is it worth the extra cost? That's a personal decision - to me it was, but having said that my low impedance phones served me well for a long time with my X3. But the improved sound quality of the HD exposed a big difference between the sound quality of my monitors and that of my headphones. So I upgraded.

Another factor to consider is whether you use headphones to develop your tones/presets. The higher quality headphones you use, the less tweaking will be required to get good gig-level tones.

YMMV.

• Upvote 1

Don't be overly concerned about impedance ratings for casual listening. Trust your ears. I've used both low and high impedance headphones with my Pod HD devices. There is definitely an improvement in sound quality with the higher impedance headphones. Is it worth the extra cost? That's a personal decision - to me it was, but having said that my low impedance phones served me well for a long time with my X3. But the improved sound quality of the HD exposed a big difference between the sound quality of my monitors and that of my headphones. So I upgraded.

I won't be overly concerned as I'm trying to have fun with this stuff, and I surely am having fun learning how to play guitar and use sound equipment. As I am a mechanic/machinist I have learned to trust my ears and feel for vibration, as these are most of the time enemy number 1, LOL. I think it's going be worth the extra cost to look into and get higher impedance phones. I see there are some very high (like 400- 600 Ohm) ear phones out there, but am wondering if over 250 ohm is too high and might require an amplifier with this equipment.

Another factor to consider is whether you use headphones to develop your tones/presets. The higher quality headphones you use, the less tweaking will be required to get good gig-level tones.

Sounds like another piece of good advice.

YMMV.

i tested a number of different headphones:

Grado SR80 - 32 ohms

Sennheiser 280HD Pro - 64 ohms

Beyerdynamic DT880 - 600 ohms

Sennheiser - 600HD - 300 ohms

I've had the Grado and the Senn 280HD way before i got the POD HD desktop. bought the Beyer, and the Senn 600 just to see if there was an improvement in sound quality with the increased ohms.

I couldn't distinguish any sound quality improvement, other than the inherent improvement with more expensive equipment.

the DT880, and 600HD did require more volume output from the POD.

In the end, i returned the 2 and stuck with the Grado.

Probably going to sell the 280HD. Just because i find the Grado has a better sound quality.

Hope this helps

• Upvote 1

for quite some time I used an old AKG K141 monitor 600 ohms impedance, but after years of use the earpads have been a lot worn out and there is a buzz in one of the channels ..

shame because I really liked its sound a lot ..

so I started looking for detailed information and opinions on various other headphones and given the good past experience with AKG I bought an AKG K 271 MKII 55 ohms which should give an hi fidelty very flat frequency response, I tried it with the HD500 and I did not like it at all, nothing to do with my previous old headset .. then I gave it back and I bought an AKG K240 MK2 55 ohms, which is much more similar sonically to my old headset with the difference that given the low impedance has more volume, I'm still using it, but I still have a slight preference for the old AKG K141 ..

at the end for me:

1) if the headset is good, the impedance does not have so much importance, if it is low, just use the appropriate output volume

2) POD is not a hi-fi, and perhaps it's more important that I like the sound of the headset coupled with the device rather than having a painstaking fidelity to each possible frequency

3) listening through headphones even with the best headphones in the world will never be completely identical to the live sound, so if I have to play through headphones, it is better that at least I like its sound

i tested a number of different headphones:

Grado SR80 - 32 ohms

Sennheiser 280HD Pro - 64 ohms

Beyerdynamic DT880 - 600 ohms

Sennheiser - 600HD - 300 ohms

I've had the Grado and the Senn 280HD way before i got the POD HD desktop. bought the Beyer, and the Senn 600 just to see if there was an improvement in sound quality with the increased ohms.

I couldn't distinguish any sound quality improvement, other than the inherent improvement with more expensive equipment.

the DT880, and 600HD did require more volume output from the POD.

In the end, i returned the 2 and stuck with the Grado.

Probably going to sell the 280HD. Just because i find the Grado has a better sound quality.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all that input, much appreciated. I think I have really good idea of what to expect when I finally pick out headphones.

The Line 6 FAQ on Headphones has this...

Q: What is the recommended headphone ohm rating for use with Line 6 products?
A: For devices with a 1/4" output, we recommend headphones rated between 150-600 ohm (pro or semi-pro level) studio headphones for best results. For those with an 1/8" output, headphones designed for MP3 player usage are usually a good match. Results may vary between headphone models and manufacturers.

The Line 6 FAQ on Headphones has this...

Q: What is the recommended headphone ohm rating for use with Line 6 products?

A: For devices with a 1/4" output, we recommend headphones rated between 150-600 ohm (pro or semi-pro level) studio headphones for best results. For those with an 1/8" output, headphones designed for MP3 player usage are usually a good match. Results may vary between headphone models and manufacturers.

Hey, that answer just made me feel "this" big, LOL. I admit I neglected to check out the FAQ, Thank You. That really answered my question.

Actually the answer is conflicting. Low ohm phones can be driven easily by a portable device. Higher need more power to get volume.

These are good tracking headphones.

They are isolated and come in handy both for live use and monitoring a mic'd source.

essential for recording musician.

These are affordable but not the most accurate and are only 33ohms so they are loud.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Direct-Sound-Extreme-Isolation-EX-29-Headphones-29dB-Noise-Attenuation-FREE-CASE-/271181085640?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item3f23a6fbc8&_uhb=1

There is a cheaper version

For mixing, if money is no option get the best you can afford that aligns with the recommended specs.

Pushing above their weight are the Audio Technica  Professional H'Phones

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-m50/4505-7877_7-33899646.html

There are better; but,  ideally you use studio monitors and use headphones for close listening to reverb and FX tales in a mix.

What you want in Headphones is the same in Studio monitors. You want a flat a response as possible across the audio spectrum so you can hear what is going on. You don't want headphones designed to make your music sound better with hyped bass etc on most consumer phones and speakers.

As already mentioned with pro headphones what you get on the HD using them to make patches will go a long way to having a tone that relates in a live PA situation with a little adjustment to suit. 

Thru an Amp it wont translate as well and it is best to get that tone matched with the Amp rather than phones.

• Upvote 1

Actually the answer is conflicting. Low ohm phones can be driven easily by a portable device. Higher need more power to get volume.

Thanks for your input also. I've been looking at headphones around the 300 ohm or higher range and would like to use them to make patches. Not in a hurry so I have a lot of time to search.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a recommendation if I may,, I use to use head phones for editing.. Tried every single high end studio head phone Up to a set of Sony that cost me 400 bucks. I never was satisfied with how different the sound would be from editing on head phones and then running the patch live.. On the headphones it would sound great. But live through the PA system sounded like garbage.. Musician friend had the 4 channel SONIC PA system with the 10†speaker cabs on sale for 399… so I jumped on it..  I’ll never go back to headphones for editing… WAY Better.. The only time I’ll use headphones now is if I just have to be dead quiet..

• Upvote 1

I have a recommendation if I may,, I use to use head phones for editing.. Tried every single high end studio head phone Up to a set of Sony that cost me 400 bucks. I never was satisfied with how different the sound would be from editing on head phones and then running the patch live.. On the headphones it would sound great. But live through the PA system sounded like garbage.. Musician friend had the 4 channel SONIC PA system with the 10†speaker cabs on sale for 399… so I jumped on it..  I’ll never go back to headphones for editing… WAY Better.. The only time I’ll use headphones now is if I just have to be dead quiet..

Thanks for sharing your experience on this. This is what I was hitting on, trying to get the headphones to match as closely to the live sound, which I know is not going to happen now. I'm gathering I can only get close with headphones. I keep hearing that good monitoring speakers are the best way to build patches that are going to be used live. I still need headphones to keep quiet while practicing.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely love the Shure SRH440 cans.  They have great response and isolation, replaceable pads, 3M detachable cord, 1/4 adapter, carry bag and fold up for travel or storage.  Live patches may need a little eq adjustment but that will always be the case unless you can build the patch with your live gear at live volumes. About $100 everywhere...

As for the impedance, they are 32 ohms which doesn't seem to match up with the FAQ.  Makes me wonder but I think if it was a serious issue Line 6 would have made the requirement a little clearer than a one liner in the FAQ...

I use Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm version. Excellent cans, very comfortable for long sessions and I'd thoroughly recommend them. Quite neutral. Semi-open back design.

I've got a set of Beyerdynamic DT770s 32ohm as well which I use for listening to music . Bass response much stronger but they are far less neutral and probably not so good for guitar monitoring. Closed back and tighter fit which also improves sound isolation but probably not as comfortable for prolonged use.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: I went with Beyerdynamic DT990 (600 Ohm) and after playing with them for a short time I'm starting to like them. These are geared for the Lows and Highs and cuts the Mids a bit. They sound good to me and I'm happy so far. They work fine when using the HD500 as my sound card when listening to music and videos. They work great for some heavy metal chugging making riffs for those dirt bike vids. As far as the accuracy for montoring when developing patches for live use I still have to do more work. But when I record digitally the headphones sounds are very close to the end result. Just got a Schecter Omen 8 and been loving it. After playing it for while and then going right to a 6 string I feel like I'm playing a twig compared to the branch your holding when chording the Omen 8.

• 1 year later...

UPDATE: I went with Beyerdynamic DT990 (600 Ohm) and after playing with them for a short time I'm starting to like them. These are geared for the Lows and Highs and cuts the Mids a bit. They sound good to me and I'm happy so far. They work fine when using the HD500 as my sound card when listening to music and videos. They work great for some heavy metal chugging making riffs for those dirt bike vids. As far as the accuracy for montoring when developing patches for live use I still have to do more work. But when I record digitally the headphones sounds are very close to the end result. Just got a Schecter Omen 8 and been loving it. After playing it for while and then going right to a 6 string I feel like I'm playing a twig compared to the branch your holding when chording the Omen 8.

Hi Brazzy, I'm also looking for headphone to use for patch creation and have a schecter diamond 7 strings, how r u going with those beyer cans?

Hi Brazzy, I'm also looking for headphone to use for patch creation and have a schecter diamond 7 strings, how r u going with those beyer cans?

Hey, I like the Beyer's alot but I'm sure you do not need 600 Ohm models, you can use 250 Ohm with better results. The thing with the 600 Ohm'ers is they cut the mids and it's noticeable. I like it though and I'm going to continue to use them, also may get a small headphone amp for them. What I use mostly are 32 Ohm Bose AE Headphones, I've had these since 2008, I think, they still work great and they are the other extremely opposite to the 600 Ohm.

I think if I was going to get another pair I would use Beyer's in the 250 Ohm or the next lower ohm value. I like the open backed and I like the way these fell over my ears too.

I bought the 600 Ohm without using them first and I knew the mids were going to be cut, so they were as I expected them to be. No surprises.

Hope that helps some. Any questions? Just ask.

• Upvote 1

thanks a lot! will go for beyers dt990 250 ohms!

Your Welcome! I hope you like them.

Are you going with the Open Backed or Closed Backed? Just curious is all. I went with the open backed in hopes of them allowing my ears to stay cool, lol, and so I could talk to someone and still be able to hear them while they're on my head. They work good in that respect IMO.

Your Welcome! I hope you like them.

Are you going with the Open Backed or Closed Backed? Just curious is all. I went with the open backed in hopes of them allowing my ears to stay cool, lol, and so I could talk to someone and still be able to hear them while they're on my head. They work good in that respect IMO.

will go with the open ones , i've red you got better results

This is the first audio equipment manufacturer who has EVER set recommended specs like this. Trust me.

Nothing wrong with it, except that almost all 'studio' monitors (headphones) are way below 250ohms. The norm for headphones is around 18ohms to 50ohms. Anything over that goes into audiophile territory, which is not what this should be.

Again, nothing wrong with it, except for the fact that poor unwitting slobs (like the fellow who actually bought HD600's for this) will go out and spend a fortune on stupid headphones.

To each their own though. Either someone who came up with these specs is a serious audiophile/nut, or they made a booboo.

This is the first audio equipment manufacturer who has EVER set recommended specs like this. Trust me.

Nothing wrong with it, except that almost all 'studio' monitors (headphones) are way below 250ohms. The norm for headphones is around 18ohms to 50ohms. Anything over that goes into audiophile territory, which is not what this should be.

Again, nothing wrong with it, except for the fact that poor unwitting slobs (like the fellow who actually bought HD600's for this) will go out and spend a fortune on stupid headphones.

To each their own though. Either someone who came up with these specs is a serious audiophile/nut, or they made a booboo.

I've been using AKG 240S cans with the POD since I got it...think they're rated at 55 ohms. $99 pretty much everywhere. Nothing bursts into flames, no plagues of locusts, and I haven't noticed any more than the usual number of demons and gargoyles circling overhead. ;)

Right, those are probably just right. I have the K271 (Austrian version).

Thinking about this a little more (I have lots of headphones LOL), it's really a matter of the current available to the IC chip they use. Apparently, they use a good high current IC, so they recommend higher ohm monitors. This is a good thing, but perhaps misleading, almost like they assume people are going to know details about this.

But in they end, buying headphones with these recommended specs can't hurt of course......except the wallet 

Interesting posts, Thanks! When I decided to go with 600 ohm headphones I knew that they would mellow out the tone compared to the 32 ohm Bose headphones I've got and it was a welcome change to my ears, lol. What really surprised me about them was how well the HD500 can sound with them. The HD500 can drive 600 Ohm drivers. It's kinda hard for me to explain but I was able to listen longer without my ear feeling uncomfortable but not because they bother my ear but how easy they are on my hearing.

Another interesting thing about them is I was able to get some very interesting vibrations with them and I really mean vibrations, lol, such as the drivers really vibrated my head. Hahahaaa

I've never had a set of headphones that could actually vibrate my head. Of course they didn't just do that I had to tweak the HD500 in order to find out what worked in order to get them to do that.