Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Favorite Wah Thru Helix

john0255

Hi All!

I am brand new with this unit and have been getting great sounds out of it. It will be replacing my band rig a lot sooner than I thought. One thing I would like to be able to do is to still utilize my MC404CAE wah through the effects loop, which is very simple and straingt forward to hook up. I have a couple of questions:

Do I have to create a new "wah" or "FX" setting in each patch or can I set up to utilize the wah in every patch?

I'm thinking I have to add the FX to every patch that I what to use the wah in, so how do I do that without disturbing existing effects in the patch?

In light of my newness, how can I simply add a wah from the great selection of waks in the Helix? I can't seem to make the patches work right or the pedal.

Thanks for your patience with my noobie questions!!

John

To use it in an FX Loop you'd need to add a loop block to every preset.

Why not use it like you always have?

Guitar->Wah->Helix

That's how I use my 535Q, and it sounds great!

Only time you need a loop is if you want your CAE after other, Helix FX, or combined with other external FX in a one-button-to-activate the chain type configuration.

It can be a nice alternative to have an external wah in a loop if you want to be able to switch to snapshots or presets where the wah is already engaged. That way you just leave the wah engaged and use the Helix to switch it into the signal path. As r2dk points out though you would have to add a loop to each preset. You can also do this with snapshots and the internal Helix expression pedal and wah.

In regards to adding one of the Helix's native wah blocks. Not sure exactly what difficulty you are having? By default (unless a preset has a conflicting setting) when you add a wah block to a preset the Wah is assigned to the expression pedal's toeswitch on EXP 1. You have to press down what may seem like fairly HARD on the toeswitch to activate it and switch between EXP 1 and EXP 2.