Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Knob behavior

Johanivansson

There's no way to change any of the knobs' behavior, but I would guess you're talking specifically about the encoders below the screen to change parameters? Generally, these knobs are sensitive to how fast you turn them. So a quick turn will result in a larger parameter change, and a slow turn covering the same arc distance will have a smaller parameter change. You can also push on them to return to the default parameter value.

You're probably asking the wrong person, as I've never had a real amp, real stomp boxes (did have several rack items), and work in a more or less virtual environment, so I use the edit software most of the time. But I can't imagine that turning knobs on a Boss digital delay versus one on Helix are that much much different; it all happens in real time on Helix too. And specifically for delay times, Helix does have a global option called 'tap-tempo pitch', which allows for being authentic (by changing the delay time you'll hear the resulting chaotic pitch weirdness) or transparent.

.... And specifically for delay times, Helix does have a global option called 'tap-tempo pitch', which allows for being authentic (by changing the delay time you'll hear the resulting chaotic pitch weirdness) or transparent.

^^^^This! Changing this to "Authentic" will emulate the response of many stomp pedals when the delay time is changed.

That's nice!

Although, I would love to have the option of having the encoders acting like normal knobs, so that turning them 360 degrees would cover the entire span. For some functions you reeeeeaaally have to keep turning for a while to get to the other end.

That's nice!

Although, I would love to have the option of having the encoders acting like normal knobs, so that turning them 360 degrees would cover the entire span. For some functions you reeeeeaaally have to keep turning for a while to get to the other end.

The faster you turn them, they will increase the rate of change in parameter. It is not linear.

I agree that It would be better if they were set to be more responsive. You really have to whizz them around to get them to move fast and then you completely lose all accuracy. For example, on a model of a phase 90 it's annoying to have to literally turn the knob about 7 times to get from the slowest to the fastest setting when on the pedal itself that would be covered by about 280 degrees of movement.

It would be great if they could be tuned to be more appropriately sensitive so that less turning of the knob does much more than it does presently. You really have to whip those knobs around quite a few times to get from minimum to maximum settings.

Surely it would be possible make it so that one complete turn goes from min to max without losing the minute control that you get from moving the knobs slowly. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that It would be better if they were set to be more responsive. You really have to whizz them around to get them to move fast and then you completely lose all accuracy. For example, on a model of a phase 90 it's annoying to have to literally turn the knob about 7 times to get from the slowest to the fastest setting when on the pedal itself that would be covered by about 280 degrees of movement.

It would be great if they could be tuned to be more appropriately sensitive so that less turning of the knob does much more than it does presently. You really have to whip those knobs around quite a few times to get from minimum to maximum settings.

Surely it would be possible make it so that one complete turn goes from min to max without losing the minute control that you get from moving the knobs slowly. 

YES! Somebody understands me!  :D

As Helix's six rotary knobs are encoders, there is nothing more involved than allocating programming resources to reprofile the way the knobs perform for any selected Block. With the already numerous Block types existing in Helix, and with more on the way in future firmware releases, this may not be a high priority item on Line 6's Helix To Do List. Nonetheless, I certainly would also like to see the rotary encoder knobs be more responsive.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

YESSSSSS!!! This drives me absolutely nuts! There are many times I’m just wanting to quickly sweep through the levels of gain or EQ as I would on a normal pedal - but I have to turn the knobs over and over again to get them all the way through – would love to have them operate more like a “real world” knob! Hopeful that Line 6 sees this and can fix in a future firmware update... 

13 hours ago, samtowns said:

YESSSSSS!!! This drives me absolutely nuts! There are many times I’m just wanting to quickly sweep through the levels of gain or EQ as I would on a normal pedal - but I have to turn the knobs over and over again to get them all the way through – would love to have them operate more like a “real world” knob! Hopeful that Line 6 sees this and can fix in a future firmware update... 

Yes, that's a pain in the arse.

Takes literally a minute to raise some params to max... ridicolous.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/9/2017 at 9:03 PM, Johanivansson said:

That's nice!

I love this idea.

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, zipporaid said:

How is this not a thing yet, honestly?  I can't deal with changing delay times anymore.  Seems like a simple thing to program, compared to most of what the helix can do.

It would be cool to allow customization, though I see the need for precision for some parameters. For delay, though, my MO is to get close enough with tap tempo, then use the knob to adjust from there (using BPM setting and assigning values to be assigned per snapshot). 

-Andrew

• 2 months later...

I too, not owning one yet would like to see a change in the knob movement function.  I'm going back and forth between the Helix and the GT-1000, trying to decide which to buy to replace my ever-growing pedal collection and heavy tube amps for gigging.   I see many of the demos and the person is turning, and turning, and turning the knob to make the setting changes.  It looks tedious and if there is no other way to turn the knobs I'm guessing it will be a deal breaker for me.   I might like to change something during a live performance and can't see stooping over and tweaking like that to make a setting change.  Good grief!  

Please Line6, hear your community and build in a new global function for knob behavior.   ???  Please!!  

If you are talking about the 6 knobs under the screen--those cannot be assigned to each adjust a different thing on various blocks, unfortunately.  These knobs control parameters of the block that is highlighted in your preset.  You can save your preset with the cursor on a specific block, for example your delay pedal.  That way, when you enter that preset, the 6 knobs can be used to adjust your block of choice right away, without having to scroll to it.  You can then quickly reach down and change whatever settings you need.  

If you want to change the settings on another block, you need to use the joystick and put the cursor on something else you want to adjust.  

Helix has something "better", arguably.  Not something that I would ever ever ever use live, but there's this: you can adjust all the parameters of anything you want in your chain with your feet.  You hold down the "mode" button and then can select a block, and parameters, and adjust the parameter value with the expression pedal.  You can basically make changes to your sounds while continuing to play your guitar.  I mean, how cool is that?

• Upvote 1

I believe the topic is related to how much spinning you have to do to each knob to change the parameter from the minimum to the maximum setting, or somewhere in-between.   It takes a great lot of spinning of the knob to adjust only a small bit of the parameter, whichever one you are changing.  Seems it could be enhanced, if desired, to make faster adjustments with only a twist of the knob... if that makes sense.  :-) 

1 hour ago, kirschke said:

Seems it could be enhanced, if desired, to make faster adjustments with only a twist of the knob... if that makes sense.  :-) 

Hi,

These forums are not monitored by Line 6 staff. Therefore if you wish to have your comment regarding the scrolling speed to have any chance of being seen and/or implemented, I suggest you follow the advice given by “rd2rk” in the thread linked below.

Hope this helps/makes sense.