Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buddy16125

Hi Alll: Trying to fix ghost notes in alt. tuning in my Variax Standard. Re-flashed to latest FW. Trying to restore factory defaults. Fully charged battery. Pickup selector switch in middle position. Hold down model selector knob.Insert 1/4" plug, as per Manual. Then: nothing. No LEDs. Any ideas as to what I should try next?

Thanks in  advance! 

The USB dongle can be an insufferable pain in the a$$...aside from going through the motions again, I don't have much to offer.

However, 9/10 times the "ghost note" phenomenon with the alt tunings is due to hearing the guitar acoustically, along with the altered note through whatever amp/monitoring method you're using. Even monitoring with headphones, it's a whole lot easier to hear the guitar acoustically than you think...you're right on top of the strings, and its a short trip to your ears. Try recording direct into a DAW with an alt tuning, and listen to the playback. If you don't hear the ghost notes in the playback (and I'll bet money that you won't), then there's nothing wrong with the guitar. More than a few of us have been fooled this way initially.

In regards to the connecting via USB, try different ports.  I don't know why, but it seems to work on some and not others on my PC.

If you go through what cruisinon2 mentioned above and are still hearing ghost notes, check your guitar's set up, specifically its intonation.  

Thanks to all for your comments. I did record the guitar into my DAW, Sonar. Ghost notes clearly still there. I will double check intonation when I  get off of work ( well, I guess I am not 'working' since I am checking the Line 6 forum!!) Any idea why my Variax will not go into 'Factory default restore' mode?

Also: I went into Workbench. The ghost notes I hear sound exactly like a 12-string patch, with the second note a forth away from original note. Not much luck there,  so far.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are doing any drop tunings and palm muting, it is very easy to transfer the vibrations from the A string to the low E and vise versa via the palm of your hand.

This is also true with other tunings where not all the strings are pitch shifted by the same amount.

• 4 months later...

...also try sticking a piece of foam right behind the nut. my variax piezos were picking up some string harmonics and I was hearing those in recordings. gotta track em down and mute the little buggers or they'll drive you mad.