Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

saddest tone

tobenschain

Well this has to be the oddest question I've seen around here in a long time.

The Helix can do many things, but it can't displace technique.  Tone-wise most sad songs (which are typically ballads of some type) are very clean setups with ;imited effects.  What makes them produce a sad or lonely sound is how it's played.  A rich hollowbody sound that's finger picked is always a good choice.  In country a telecaster on a clean setting with a light tremolo and reverb is pretty common.  This is truly one of those cases where the tone is in your fingers.

like this

Depends on which tone you're after.  The Acoustic is pretty simple and standard.  The lead guitar fills are compressed, edge of breakup kind of stuff which could be any number of amps from Vox, HiWatt, to Litigator or Matchless maybe with Bias dialed down a bit to de-accentuate pick attack with probably some Hall Reverb.  The pedal steel is typical pedal steel, but I doubt you're going after that sound...unless you have a pedal steel.

Pretty sure he was joking around using the "saddest chord" line from the movie "Spinal Tap"

It makes sense that if you are going to play a song in the "saddest key" (d minor according to the movie), that you would want to use the saddest tone as well. Lol

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure he was joking around using the "saddest chord" line from the movie "Spinal Tap"

It makes sense that if you are going to play a song in the "saddest key" (d minor according to the movie), that you would want to use the saddest tone as well. Lol

The Nigel-ism wasn't the OP...he went from asking for the "saddest tone" to offering up as a reference the most depressing tune in the world this side of "Dust In The Wind"...though an odd request to be sure, I think he's serious, lol.

The Nigel-ism wasn't the OP...he went from asking for the "saddest tone" to offering up as a reference the most depressing tune in the world this side of "Dust In The Wind"...though an odd request to be sure, I think he's serious, lol.

I think your right, because the tune he linked to is in C Major.  If he were joking he would've linked to something in D Minor.

I think the op is asking about something that is both tone and technique. I hear a good amount of note bending in that song that accents a dreary type of tone. 

Here's a short clip of part of a recording that I did, trying to capture that type of feeling. I admit my tone is pretty clean, but I used all neck pickup to get a little dreariness in there. It was done using my Katana straight in. A little thunder sound effect, helps the mood, also.

https://app.box.com/s/zmaptuejhpee7zcjo4wz2vy00krgkcrw

• 2 weeks later...

"One" is a song written by Harry Nilsson and made famous by Three Dog Night whose recording reached number five on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100[2] in 1969 and number four in Canada.

Aimee Mann did a recording of it too, back in 95. Google is yer friend ;)

Three Dog Night , while easy to write off as a semi-cheezy late 60's -70's hit machine , were actually awesome live , in their earliest incarnations, and had a great lead guitarist with amazing tone, and they covered many of the greatest songwriters of the day.

Sad tone? Hmmm.. I'm not sure the tone is what makes it sad, but more what you play with it. Here is a ditty I did way back when I was going thru my breakup/divorce. The tone is a pretty awesome lead tone (Vetta II as a matter of fact), but the feeling and playing are sad.

https://hearthis.at/christopher-clement-r5/hymn/

• Upvote 1

"One" is a song written by Harry Nilsson and made famous by Three Dog Night whose recording reached number five on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100[2] in 1969 and number four in Canada.

Aimee Mann did a recording of it too, back in 95. Google is yer friend ;)

Well you live and learn, I only know the Aimee Mann version and just assumed that she'd written it.

Craig

Three Dog Night , while easy to write off as a semi-cheezy late 60's -70's hit machine , were actually awesome live , in their earliest incarnations, and had a great lead guitarist with amazing tone, and they covered many of the greatest songwriters of the day.

Saw them myself. They did a good show and then they did a "Fifty's" song and things got thrown at them,  but they were pro's and finished the song and moved on. I'd have walked off the stage but they didnt, I guess they had more dealings with Asshats than I have... 

I think the op is asking about something that is both tone and technique. I hear a good amount of note bending in that song that accents a dreary type of tone. 

Here's a short clip of part of a recording that I did, trying to capture that type of feeling. I admit my tone is pretty clean, but I used all neck pickup to get a little dreariness in there. It was done using my Katana straight in. A little thunder sound effect, helps the mood, also.

https://app.box.com/s/zmaptuejhpee7zcjo4wz2vy00krgkcrw

I just loved that sound. Share the Helix patch?