Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't purchase until Line 6 does this.......

pearljammy

Eliminate the mandatory Tap Tempo and Mode buttons.  Eats up real estate and I don't like that at all.  I don't use tap tempo and the mode button should be optional as well.  Hope they change this as it's silly to have so much flexibility, yet neuter the Helix so bad(IMO).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Silly reason not to buy, imo... I mean the function of those switches can be changed, but why is it a deal breaker? I also think that most users would find those switches pretty indispensable.

• Upvote 4

I use the Mode switch a lot. Helix is usually in stomp mode where the footswitches are used to control 10 effects. I press Mode to get four snapshots in the current patch and four patches.

I'd like to see the Mode switch used more. For example, it could be used to switch to looper mode which would free up one more effect footswitch.

Tap is useful for time syncing effects, and for quick access to the tuner. Seems like a pretty good design to me.

• Upvote 5

It would be nice to have the option of assigning them for something else, but far from a deal breaker for me.   Have had my Helix over a year now and finally just switched over to all modelling rather then going 4CM to a tube amp.  Don't feel neutered at all. 

No way. They're useful. How can you not have a top level tap tempo button on a unit with so many time based fx. And given that it's a floor unit, that button will be a footswitch.

Being able to switch between stomp and preset modes quickly is cool too.

• Upvote 1

I use both switches as they work now, but I can see that they might be less useful for other people who work differently, who might well wish they were configurable.

Still surprised it's important enough to make a Helix unusable for you.

• Upvote 1

You lost me at "neuter". If you'd rather have those buttons for IAs & presets, that's fine but "neuter" and starting a "can't purchase" thread is a bit over the top IMO.

A forum has opinions. This is mine. You can have yours and that's great too.

I use both switches as they work now, but I can see that they might be less useful for other people who work differently, who might well wish they were configurable.

Still surprised it's important enough to make a Helix unusable for you.

The Helix was made for options, yet they mandate that 2 out of 10 buttons (sans the bank up and down) are for what they want you to use. I like having 5 presets and 5 instant access. I can't right now with the Helix and I'd love the option.
  • Upvote 1

I wish they were configurable too, and Preset/Bank Up & Down as well. I don't use the tap tempo as all my tempos are configured by preset. I could easily live without Preset Down. Activating the tuner by holding the Mode switch would be just great for me.

Would allow to have 6 snapshots in the bottom row and 4 stomps in the top one.
  • Upvote 1

All opinions and suggestions are welcome on IdeaScale.

As I recollect, there have been several IdeaScale posts suggesting more uses for these footswitch buttons.

Post your suggestions there and vote up those that are similar.

• Upvote 1

The Helix was made for options, yet they mandate that 2 out of 10 buttons (sans the bank up and down) are for what they want you to use. I like having 5 presets and 5 instant access. I can't right now with the Helix and I'd love the option.

Not to be snotty but if that's your only reason...see ya.

Wow really? Great attitude man. A forum where opinions are kept at bay.

What sort of reaction did you expect? Because you have no use for the tap-tempo feature, therefore no one else should either?

Everybody's got an opinion, and you're as entitled to yours as anyone else...there are any number of products that I've decided not to purchase because of some feature it did or didn't have. But if I lived to be 1000, it would never occur to me to go out of my way to announce to a bunch of strangers who already own the thing "I'm not buying this item because_______". It accomplishes nothing, and comes across as deliberately confrontational. The truth is, no one cares what ANYONE here spends their money on, or why. And presenting your case as if it were the only opinion worth having just adds insult to injury, and won't endear you to anybody.

Eliminate the mandatory Tap Tempo and Mode buttons.  Eats up real estate and I don't like that at all.  I don't use tap tempo and the mode button should be optional as well.  Hope they change this as it's silly to have so much flexibility, yet neuter the Helix so bad(IMO).

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Wow really? Great attitude man. A forum where opinions are kept at bay.

You stated what I took to be a fact. You won't get a Helix without that. My comment was not to shoo you away. It was to say that since I'm quite sure that that won't happen anytime soon, and you won't get one without that feature, uou will be leaving this forum. Why would you stay on a forum whose subject you don't own? So since that feature won't be appearing, therefore you won't be getting a Helix, therefore you'll be leaving.......see ya. Unless you've got some kind of obsession with this forum.

I have owned a Helix. Got the floor unit. Liked it. Want the rack but the controller is same layout. Everyone gets so butt store over nothing. Seriously.

You stated what I took to be a fact. You won't get a Helix without that. My comment was not to shoo you away. It was to say that since I'm quite sure that that won't happen anytime soon, and you won't get one without that feature, uou will be leaving this forum. Why would you stay on a forum whose subject you don't own? So since that feature won't be appearing, therefore you won't be getting a Helix, therefore you'll be leaving.......see ya. Unless you've got some kind of obsession with this forum.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have owned a Helix. Got the floor unit. Liked it. Want the rack but the controller is same layout. Everyone gets so butt store over nothing. Seriously.

Yup. And you're definitely part of "everyone".

I can just hear the guys at Line6 right now.  "Hold up all further development on new amps and effects and features!!  We need to put out a special FW upgrade IMMEDIATELY that allows the tap tempo and mode buttons to be used as normal footswitches, or else PearlJammy won't buy a Helix!!  This is a MAJOR crisis!!!!" :wacko:

I can just hear the guys at Line6 right now.  "Hold up all further development on new amps and effects and features!!  We need to put out a special FW upgrade IMMEDIATELY that allows the tap tempo and mode buttons to be used as normal footswitches, or else PearlJammy won't buy a Helix!!  This is a MAJOR crisis!!!!" :wacko:

It's all about mee EEE EEE, Its all about mee EEE EEE, Its so easy to see what else can it be, its all about me EEE Eeeeeee.....!

So the main problem with this is the reason for posting this. "I'm posting in the user forum for a product I'm not going to buy"

I guess it's valid from the perspective of polling the active user base for levels of agreement maybe looking for us all to say "No it's not an issue and you will enjoy the Helix" to help him/her make the leap of purchase.

It certainly is a strange behaviour. I for example wouldn't go on to the user forum for Porsche and announce I wasn't buying one because I don't like the price.

It certainly is a strange behaviour. I for example wouldn't go on to the user forum for Porsche and announce I wasn't buying one because I don't like the price.

But suppose the Porsche had buttons on the radio that you didn't like, taking up valuable real estate, etc etc...surely all current Porsche owners would be enduring many a sleepless night, wondering if you'd go with the Maserati or the Audi A8 instead...people need to know these things. ;)

Pot.....meet kettle. And I'm not sure where you get the idea that I'm upset in anyway, let alone store..er I mean sore. Seriously. At worst I am amused.

No worries - can you help me understand why the title of your thread begins with "Can't purchase until...." but you state that you owned a Helix, so you did purchase it? Then sold it?

No worries - can you help me understand why the title of your thread begins with "Can't purchase until...." but you state that you owned a Helix, so you did purchase it? Then sold it?

Sure.  I got a deal on a used Helix and tried it out.  Liked it but rack version is ultimately what I need for my use.  I use the Axe Fx II in 4CM now.  My title was to the point and have gotten much flak from this forum, but was only stating that for my needs, I need the ability to have 5 patches and 5 instant access switches in order to make the switch.  Not mandating that things are changed for me alone, just that for my needs, I can't switch until (if/when) the ability to assign those switches for other uses could be done. 

Pot.....meet kettle. And I'm not sure where you get the idea that I'm upset in anyway, let alone store..er I mean sore. Seriously. At worst I am amused.

I'm new to the forum and did not know about the idea website to state an idea.  Instead of directing me there, I've gotten many responses that I feel aren't justified or conducive to anything but letting me know my idea is off based and not warranted. 

Perhaps the OP should start his own company and design and build his own product if 10 foot switches isn't enough for him.

Sorry, nothing to see here. You either want or need something that actually exists to make music with, or you are always looking for the piece of gear that is designed with your own extremely limited demands in mind...

I make music, so I pick the best tool.

If I didn't like or need the MODE and TAP buttons, I would still be able to make music with it. You still have 10 foot switches.

Sorry, you're reaching, OP. Seriously...

You remind me of a friend who was impossible to please with product design (there's a name for this, I forget what it is). He held off buying a digital camera for over 7 years because they didn't make one that was just right. And when he bought one, he ended up living with just as many design compromises as if he'd bought when he first started... and there are 7 years of photos he never took...

I'm new to the forum and did not know about the idea website to state an idea.  Instead of directing me there, I've gotten many responses that I feel aren't justified or conducive to anything but letting me know my idea is off based and not warranted. 

OK. Well your title and your first post gave the impression that you had never had a Helix and that this one little thing was going to keep you from purchasing it. So no one would have directed you to the ideascale. Didn't know you had a Helix. In fact, you WERE told about the ideascale before you let it be known you had a floor Helix. And my post had nothing to do with your idea being off base or not warranted. Again it had to do with it sounding like that was the only reason you wouldn't purchase one. Since I know there is no way it would be implemented soon, I fully expected you to depart. I was just giving you a cordial good-bye. Your characterization of the other responses seems to be way off base as well. The negative ones were addressing your attitude and NOT your idea. You actually got some support for your idea. It was your apparent attitude that people thought was off base and unwarranted. Not your idea.

OK. Well your title and your first post gave the impression that you had never had a Helix and that this one little thing was going to keep you from purchasing it. So no one would have directed you to the ideascale. Didn't know you had a Helix. In fact, you WERE told about the ideascale before you let it be known you had a floor Helix. And my post had nothing to do with your idea being off base or not warranted. Again it had to do with it sounding like that was the only reason you wouldn't purchase one. Since I know there is no way it would be implemented soon, I fully expected you to depart. I was just giving you a cordial good-bye. Your characterization of the other responses seems to be way off base as well. The negative ones were addressing your attitude and NOT your idea. You actually got some support for your idea.

And I think perhaps you came looking for an argument anyway.