Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

infos about Helix lt

Giordy93

Hi guys, I'm going to buy helix lt but i have some questions.  I will use it principally as multi fx with 4CM and real amp so for me is very important that modulation and delay are very good. In this moment I use timeline as delay, are there delays with similar quality or are they worse? The same question about mxr phase90 and mxr analog chorus. Other important features for me is the trasparency,how is it?

Now I have a very good pedalboard but I'm working for a project and I need a lot of pedal, so i want a multifx that don't make me regret my pedalbord that I have to sell to buy the new one.

​Other thing, what is the difference between IR and Cab sim? Can i create them or I must buy?

​thanks and good music

DON'T SELL YOUR PEDAL BOARD!

Is this better than that? Ask anywhere, you'll get 1,000 different answers. BUY A HELIX! Buy it from Sweetwater or GC or anywhere that gives you 30 to 45 days to check it out. COMPARE IT to your pedal board. Which one (or parts of each) sounds better to YOUR EARS?

You might end up selling the pedal board. You might return the Helix. You might keep bits from your pedal board to use WITH the Helix and sell the rest.

All the opinions you get on all the forums you ask on will just serve to confuse the issue. Let your own ears make the choice by REAL WORLD COMPARISON!

Sfortunately i can't try helix before buy it and to buy it i must sell my pedalboard. Listening a lot of semple on youtube for me sound very good, but i want a feedback by who use it. On youtube there is a test helix vs timeline and owner say that some delay on helix are better... i dont know...for me is very important tape delay, chorus, phase,wah, boost and octaver.

Sfortunately i can't try helix before buy it and to buy it i must sell my pedalboard.

I've gone down this road before with various pieces of gear...it's a coin toss. You're just as likely to love it as hate it. And if you hate it you're screwed, and you'll be kicking yourself in the a$$ for selling everything else. Wait until you can afford the Helix, and spend some time (a lot of time) getting used to it, and compare it to what you're used to, BEFORE you sell anything. Especially if you're in the middle of a project, you're just asking for trouble. New gear + new project = chaos, more often than not...just my 2 cents.

I've gone down this road before with various pieces of gear...it's a coin toss. You're just as likely to love it as hate it. And if you hate it you're screwed, and you'll be kicking yourself in the a$$ for selling everything else. Wait until you can afford the Helix, and spend some time (a lot of time) getting used to it, and compare it to what you're used to, BEFORE you sell anything. Especially if you're in the middle of a project, you're just asking for trouble. New gear + new project = chaos, more often than not...just my 2 cents.

Yes, it's correct but for my new project a need or to buy new pedal or helix. Where i should buy helix i have 30day to try it and go back if i dont like it

Like I said above:

"All the opinions you get on all the forums you ask on will just serve to confuse the issue. Let your own ears make the choice by REAL WORLD COMPARISON!"

My quality is your trash. It's entirely subjective.

I only use Helix for ALL my effects and amps now. I sold all of my pedals and no longer use guitar amps. 

I haven't seen a lot of reviews on the Flangers in the Helix - how do you like it? Specifically the MXR emulation, but happy for comments on whatever you've tried!

Ok thanks, but about quality effects?

Personally, I really enjoy the modulation effects, and typically get a lot of compliments on their sound. The modulations can have a lot depth and don't sound cheesy too me. I really like tape-echo style delays and I enjoy the ones in Helix. There's quite a few others I really enjoy; I myself don't usually go for super pristine, clear delay repeats, I like the "darker" delay sounds.

Ok thanks, but about quality effects?

Only your ears can answer this question. What I think (or anyone else for that matter) is irrelevant. Basing your decision to sell all your other gear on random internet-sourced opinions is almost guaranteed to not end well. With this kind of gear, it's all trial and error...heavy on the "error". Find a way to try one before you ditch everything else you own.

This should answer most of your questions:

I think this video does an excellent job.  I would say the only effect on the Helix that does not deliver the top notch quality of the rest is the reverb.  The delays are outstanding.  I use the phaser and chorus (it's a model of the old BOSS CE-1 analog chorus) that sounds great.

The only beef I have with the Helix is the sweep of the Expression pedal.  It is not comfortable for using as a wah in my opinion.  But you can buy the Mission exp-1 L6 and that feels just like a wah in the sweep.

Find someone in your area that has a Helix and ask to buy them a beer (or a coffee) and try it out for 15 minutes or so.

I haven't seen a lot of reviews on the Flangers in the Helix - how do you like it? Specifically the MXR emulation, but happy for comments on whatever you've tried!

I don't use too much modulation, and when I do it is pretty subtle. My favorites are the Script Mod Phase (MXR model), optical trem, gray flanger, and bubble vibrato. Helix has more than enough modulation effects for me, and they are really well done. 

The gray flanger is the MXR Flanger.  It sounds pretty good but not as good as the real thing.  I can pull off "Unchained" with it but it's just not the same.  The phase 90 sounds amazing.  I don't think anyone can tell the difference on that one.

I don't use too much modulation, and when I do it is pretty subtle. My favorites are the Script Mod Phase (MXR model), optical trem, gray flanger, and bubble vibrato. Helix has more than enough modulation effects for me, and they are really well done.

The gray flanger is the MXR Flanger.  It sounds pretty good but not as good as the real thing.  I can pull off "Unchained" with it but it's just not the same.  The phase 90 sounds amazing.  I don't think anyone can tell the difference on that one.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll still be in good shape!