Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Evzlx12p line 6 L2m qsc k12 Friedman asm can't decide

Riki1

I currently play straight into my fender twin reverb 65RI. I'm pleased with results but I want to give this modelling thing a chance.

But I don't want wedge speaker facing me like I have fold back monitors already for vocals, I want it to be behind me a traditional amp and like I do with my fender. I have it going through the P.A but also have my Amp turned up which gets to the audience also.

Not sure the L2m will be powerful enough as it's just 1 10 inch speaker , I like the look of the Friedman .

I just want something that will E loud enough for small gigs with my band and not go through the P.A, but sound clean when cranked for bigger gigs but also go through the P.A.

Any advice would be great.

Price range I don't want to spend a stupid amount of money but also want great sound as I've bought a helix and 2 decent guitar, sold off most of my anolgue pedals .

Was thinking of L2m and then adding a L2t later on maybe, or two EV zlx12ps, but the Friedman looks Amp like also.

The line 6 firehawk1500 looks too heavy.

Our P.A is Mackie c300z passive speakers powered by a Yamaha emx512sc mixer amp.

Maybe I would be better off with a Mackie arm 450 or 550 ? Or going direct to the Yamaha and then out of the monitor send into another Passive speaker behind me?

Just looking for advice as I've looked at info online and can't make up my mind what to do.

I'll be playing mostly clean sounds with delays but some heavier songs using Teemah! Blocking the helix.

If you have the option of taking your Helix to a music store to try some speakers at volume, that would be your best bet. There are lots of guys here on the forum that use one or two powered PA speakers and it seems to be enough volume for them. 

First, just because something can be setup like a wedge monitor doesn't mean it needs to be in front of you.  I use a Yamaha DXR12 as my on stage FRFR speaker and position it behind me in the same way as I would an amp.  In cases where the instruments aren't going through the PA this more than suffices for feeding adequate sound not only to the other band members on stage, but also into the audience.  You have to remember that these types of speakers are designed to actually be PA system mains, so they're more than adequate for the job.

This is why I would strongly urge you to focus on the L2T or ZLX12P noted your list rather than the L2M because it falls into that same category of possible FOH speakers.  In that regard there are a wide range of other speakers in this category such as the Yamaha DXR, DBR series, the QSC K series, Altos and others that might be worth your consideration.

If you're really wanting the full benefit of an FRFR setup I would encourage you to stay away from passive speakers.  They simply don't have the embedded DSP processing logic that the upper end powered speakers have for giving you a decently flat response across the full range of the speaker's response.  This is one of the main reasons passive systems have become a fairly small segment in the live sound arena over the last several years.

Thanks.

But isn't the l2m the same as the L2T except the T has a mixer?

There is a place nearby that I'll check out but think all they have is Yamaha , altos and QSC.

I also want some thing that not going to get tatty quickly, and looking online I've seen it mentioned that the EVzlx speaker enclosures scuff and look tatty quickly. Where my fender amp looks good as new and so do my mackies.

I don't see why QSC k10 or k12 are more money but might be worth a listen at the shop maybe

Much like Dunedin Dragon, I place my wedge behind me like a guitar cab.  I use the EV ZLX12P.  I LOVE it.  I have been using it for a year, and YES it does get scuffed up pretty quickly.  I, too, like my gear to look great.  I gig with all high end PRS guitars, and NONE of them have a single ding or dent.  I am very uptight about that.  BUT, with the EV I have to remember that the casing in a smooth plastic and sliding in and out of the trunk or trailer is the biggest culprit.  It doesn't look tatty at all unless you are really staring at it.  Onstage it looks great, sounds awesome, and has been AMAZINGLY reliable.

• Upvote 1

Thanks.

But isn't the l2m the same as the L2T except the T has a mixer?

There is a place nearby that I'll check out but think all they have is Yamaha , altos and QSC.

I also want some thing that not going to get tatty quickly, and looking online I've seen it mentioned that the EVzlx speaker enclosures scuff and look tatty quickly. Where my fender amp looks good as new and so do my mackies.

I don't see why QSC k10 or k12 are more money but might be worth a listen at the shop maybe

I honestly can't speak to the L2M versus L2T other than how they're marketed.

As far as the QSC K series, they're roughly in the same ballpark as the Yamaha DXR series which is more at the higher end of these type of speakers.  What tends to differentiate these units it the way they incorporate more advanced DSP options and some of the internal electronics that give more precise control over the frequency response of the speaker.  But ultimately it's what you hear when you compare them to some of the lower priced units.  To my ear they have much higher articulation, clarity and even projection of sound than some of the lower priced units.  It's not a huge difference in and of itself, but when mixed in with a band they stand out better without needing to rely as much on volume.  I know I just replaced 2 Altos 110s we were using as stage monitors for vocals with 2 DXR12 speakers and by all accounts of everyone in the band they were able to hear the DXR's way better than the Altos and there was less tendency for feedback.  So for me the price difference is justified.

FYI, Yamaha is running a Mail In Rebate through the end of September on the DBR/DXR/DXS Products and StagePAS PA Systems.

Details here: http://4wrd.it/YamahaSpeaker50

I run my Helix Floor with a pair of DXR10 and they sound superb!

Let your ears guide you, and enjoy the Rebate should you go with the Yamahas.

FYI, Yamaha is running a Mail In Rebate through the end of September on the DBR/DXR/DXS Products and StagePAS PA Systems.

Details here: http://4wrd.it/YamahaSpeaker50

I run my Helix Floor with a pair of DXR10 and they sound superb!

Let your ears guide you, and enjoy the Rebate should you go with the Yamahas.

Wow...thanks for the Info!!!  You just saved me $200 on the two DXR12's I bought on July 3rd.  I didn't realize this was in effect!!!!

• Upvote 1

I recently bought the L2t. I connect this to the Helix via the LINK connection and go XLR out to the PA.  Make no mistake, the L2t is loud. I run mine as a stage monitor wedge in front of me, but you could easily have it behind you like a conventional amp/cab.

• Upvote 1

I gig with my Helix and DXR12. The DXR is mounted vertical on a pole. You really need to do this for proper dispersion, especially if you aren't connected to FOH.

Concerning the Friedman ASM. That has just one 12" speaker, and no HF driver. I've read that it's very dark, though I've never played through one. I'm not sure that Friedman actually markets it as a FRFR. It also weighs 52#'s, which means it would never be on my list of wants.

I gig with my Helix and DXR12. The DXR is mounted vertical on a pole. You really need to do this for proper dispersion, especially if you aren't connected to FOH.

Concerning the Friedman ASM. That has just one 12" speaker, and no HF driver. I've read that it's very dark, though I've never played through one. I'm not sure that Friedman actually markets it as a FRFR. It also weighs 52#'s, which means it would never be on my list of wants.

I play at least once a month in a venue where we don't put the instruments through the FOH.  I still keep my DXR12 in the monitor position behind me and it still fills the room quite well.  Actually better than the other traditional amps on stage as it projects much better.  I can envision a scenario where I might put it on a pole if the room was particularly wide and fairly dead, but in almost every situation I've run into I keep it in a monitor position behind me.  But then most often I'm also going through the FOH.  We're a 7 piece band and everyone on stage seems to be able to hear me very well even in that configuration.

I play at least once a month in a venue where we don't put the instruments through the FOH.  I still keep my DXR12 in the monitor position behind me and it still fills the room quite well.  Actually better than the other traditional amps on stage as it projects much better.  I can envision a scenario where I might put it on a pole if the room was particularly wide and fairly dead, but in almost every situation I've run into I keep it in a monitor position behind me.  But then most often I'm also going through the FOH.  We're a 7 piece band and everyone on stage seems to be able to hear me very well even in that configuration.

The first time I gigged with the DXR behind me on the floor, was in a medium sized bar with brick walls. I was set up on one side of the stage, My wife was sitting half way back on the opposite side of the room with a small Tascam recorder running on the table. The next morning I was listening to the play back and I could barely hear there was a guitar in the band, and I was playing lead. Since I put it up on a pole stand, I've made recordings and gotten a decent mix, so I learned my lesson. But again, I usually don't go through FOH, because our venues aren't that large to need it.