Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Change Pickup Config While Tracking

I have researched this but cannot find any postings. Scenario: I am using the Strat (Spank) model on a track while recording using the lead pickup during the song intro. I want to switch to the "trap" position (bridge and middle pickup) during the verse and record the automation instead of stopping the recording at the end of the intro and changing the HD software to the "trap" position - then punching in that config in the verse. Can the HD software do that? Midi data perhaps?

I'm assuming you're using a POD with your Variax, unless I've misunderstood the question.

If so, each patch can only trigger one Variax model... so for example, if you've saved a patch and set it to force the Strat model's bridge pickup, and you wish to change to the bridge/middle combo without switching manually, you'd need to set up another patch that's identical except for other Variax model that you want to trigger. It can be done, but you may find that the much-maligned audio drop-out that always accompanies a patch change might not work while trying to record...just depends on the parts you're playing, and whether or not that gap will screw up the track.

Sorry - Should have been more specific. I am going Variax > VDI cable > back of Helix > Out Helix into Apogee Interface > Pro Tools /Logic. Without a Pod or some other interface I suppose it is not doable. Even so, if there is a drop out - would be pointless at any rate. Got to go old school and punch in. Thanks.  

Definitely can do it with snapshots. I have several that I use like this - change variax model and/or tuning. The switching really is seamless, works very well. Cruisinon2 is right, there are several threads on the Helix forum - check them out.

Dave