Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Water Drip Sound in a Reverb

taylorbeats

How would someone go about getting that water drip sound at the end of a reverb, say when doing muted arpeggios?

Try the spring reverb. That may be the drip sound you are referring to. Play around with the parameters to taste. 

I have been having an issue getting that "drip" and "splash" with the Helix reverbs - including the '63 Spring.  I have a vintage reverb tank, and the Boss FRV-1.  I figure if Boss can NAIL it in a stomp box, Line 6 could nail it with the Helix.  Not even close - even when messing with the parameters.  The joy of the Fender Reverb box is the three knobs - Dwell, Tone, Mix.  That's it.  The Boss pedal has the same.  SUPER easy to dial in, from subtle to full-on lollipop Dale drench.  It is the ONLY thing that disappoints me about the Helix.  At this point, I just grab the Boss pedal to supplement any patches that need that level of reverb.  Having a Helix rack that's all cased up for gigging it kind of stinks that I can't have that reverb "in the box", so it's a non-option on my live patches.....

I have been having an issue getting that "drip" and "splash" with the Helix reverbs - including the '63 Spring.  I have a vintage reverb tank, and the Boss FRV-1.  I figure if Boss can NAIL it in a stomp box, Line 6 could nail it with the Helix.  Not even close - even when messing with the parameters.  The joy of the Fender Reverb box is the three knobs - Dwell, Tone, Mix.  That's it.  The Boss pedal has the same.  SUPER easy to dial in, from subtle to full-on lollipop Dale drench.  It is the ONLY thing that disappoints me about the Helix.  At this point, I just grab the Boss pedal to supplement any patches that need that level of reverb.  Having a Helix rack that's all cased up for gigging it kind of stinks that I can't have that reverb "in the box", so it's a non-option on my live patches.....

Many would agree and say that Line6 working on delivering new and better HX reverbs would be time well spent after Native is delivered.

I was messing around with the 63 Spring reverb model last night, and turning up the predelay makes a huge difference as far as getting more of the actual springiness... The default has it set to zero, but I found that turning it up relatively high, like 150ms or higher gives it more of that signature bounce or splash.

I have been having an issue getting that "drip" and "splash" with the Helix reverbs - including the '63 Spring.

I'm not going to jump on the "Helix reverbs are awful" bandwagon because, generally speaking, they suit me fine. However, that being said, drippy surfy spring reverb tones just aren't there. Severely lackluster in that department. I've had the best results with the spring 'verbs located between the amp and cabs/IRs, reverb block high cut down around 1-1.5k, but still a long ways from authentic and a long ways from drippy. I do hope this one gets improved at some point.

I was messing around with the 63 Spring reverb model last night, and turning up the predelay makes a huge difference as far as getting more of the actual springiness... The default has it set to zero, but I found that turning it up relatively high, like 150ms or higher gives it more of that signature bounce or splash.

Cool.  I'll have to try that out. Thanks!

I'm not going to jump on the "Helix reverbs are awful" bandwagon because, generally speaking, they suit me fine. However, that being said, drippy surfy spring reverb tones just aren't there. Severely lackluster in that department. I've had the best results with the spring 'verbs located between the amp and cabs/IRs, reverb block high cut down around 1-1.5k, but still a long ways from authentic and a long ways from drippy. I do hope this one gets improved at some point.

I totally agree for all my reverb needs, except the real surf sound, the Helix 'verbs are fine for my overall needs.  I tend to run the spring reverbs between the amp and cab also - and for getting a deluxe reverb or twin reverb sound I am pleased.  It's when I want to put the reverb in FRONT of the amp is when I am sad, lol...

Sold my Wampler faux spring pedal as I was getting the Helix and I cannot get that sound out of the helix.

I hope they update the spring to sound like the Wampler or Topanga by Catalinbread, also I want tape delay with brightness knob

I am one of those many...

Reverbs are the weakest link in Helix quality wise.

HX stereo reverbs, and mono versions!

I can at least find a usable reverb in the box not amazing but functional.  The pitch shifter on the other hand is a lollipoping nightmare.  My Boss GT-100 tracks better. 

Love the helix, the verbs and the pitch stuff all need work.

I am one of those many...

Reverbs are the weakest link in Helix quality wise.

HX stereo reverbs, and mono versions!

Yes, mono versions!!!!  I am sure many of us run mono rigs (at least for performance) and the perhaps extra DSP overhead and unnecessary merge of the stereo signal into mono at the 'Left' output would make mono reverbs a welcome addition and maybe even sound better in a mono signal chain. 

Yes, mono versions!!!! I am sure many of us run mono rigs (at least for performance) and the perhaps extra DSP overhead and unnecessary merge of the stereo signal into mono at the 'Left' output would make mono reverbs a welcome addition and maybe even sound better in a mono signal chain.

Well I would like the mono reverbs for each of the left & right rhythm guitars. Then use Stereo reverbs for the cleans, and leads. I am only a studio musician, but this still has its uses in the recording world.

Plus it would give a slight more headroom for the signal chain.

Well I would like the mono reverbs for each of the left & right rhythm guitars. Then use Stereo reverbs for the cleans, and leads. I am only a studio musician, but this still has its uses in the recording world.

Agreed, potential uses to be found for mono reverbs in the studio world as well and yet another reason to provide them.

Interesting. I will have to try this. The reverbs have been my only real. complaint with the Helix. Especially the springs. I did chuckle when i started reading this thread. From the title i thought he was getting an unwanted dripping sound on reverbs. lol

Also i think reverbs should be improved prior to Native. Why release Native with verbs lacking?

The feature set as far as the amp, cabs, and effects for Native at launch will be the same as the current Helix firmware - 2.21. Any additions from that point will be across the whole Helix platform.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I think I finally figured out how to get killer spring reverb tone in Helix.

Step 1: Track down a Malekko Spring Chicken.

Step 2: Put it in a Helix FX loop.

Step 3: Wonder why on Earth you didn't do it a long time ago!

Photo%20Aug%2031%2C%202%2017%2031%20PM.j

Here is a sample recorded with the Spring Chicken. Amp is a Deluxe Reverb (US Deluxe Vib), guitar is a Nashville Telecaster:

https://soundcloud.com/vb-tunes/malekko-spring-chicken?in=vb-tunes/sets/malekko-spring-chicken-with-line-6-helix

For comparison, here is the same sample re-amped with the Helix Spring Reverb:

https://soundcloud.com/vb-tunes/helix-spring-reverb?in=vb-tunes/sets/malekko-spring-chicken-with-line-6-helix

And the Helix '63 Spring Reverb:

https://soundcloud.com/vb-tunes/helix-63-spring-reverb?in=vb-tunes/sets/malekko-spring-chicken-with-line-6-helix

• 2 years later...