Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

any one use the JBL EON612 with helix

cgar18

I play my Firehawk FX through an EON 612 and my band's other guitarist plays his Helix Floor through an EON 610. We have been playing guitar together for years and our rehearsal/live sound has never been better! In a live situation we both run from from our Line 6 units into the powered speakers using mono XLR output and then feed the house from the speakers' XLR outs (pass thru). For the sound man, it's just like getting a hot microphone signal, only it requires no EQ! We have both tweaked the EQs on our EONs to sound as much like our JBL 515XT mains as possible, so all patches dialed in on the EONs sound almost identical through the mains. The EON Connect smart phone app is very useful for setting them up this way. Highly recommend EONs at the $350-400 price point.

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of 610s at home. I have them set to Monitor mode since I have them on the floor as wedges. If you are going to run them above the floor, I would suggest "main" mode which would be a "flat response" without the cuts to bass coupling of "monitor mode". If you are a metal player, you may need a little extra bass response in the 612s, but that is beyond my personal needs. 

They can hold up in terms of volume. I have only gotten up to about 50% on them before wife and kids start yelling at me. 

Building presets on the JBLs translates well over to a QSC system for me as well. 

I use one 610 as a wedge monitor and it is loud enough by far for my purposes (electric guitar at church and acoustic guitar in a cover band). At church I plug Helix Floor into channel 1 and my monitor mix from the house into channel 2 and I can adjust the relative loudness of my guitar from there. I use 1/4" plugs for both channels, although the monitor feed is XLR from FOH up to a DI box on stage I use in reverse because I never got around to buying a Male/Female adapter. Or I just don't know what I'm doing.

The house monitor feed gives me a bit of hiss (the Helix is dead quiet by comparison), so I set a fairly big dip in the EQ around 9K, as well as a good amount of high cut. I also use a little low cut and a small bump around 1K. I always use the monitor setting. I don't change the EQ when I play acoustic guitar, I use different Helix presets for that and, obviously, I set them up accordingly. What I try to achieve is something close to the sound of the main loudspeakers, without so much bass that it gets muddy, and that sounds good practicing at home. 

As I mentioned above, I use a small amount of low cut. So I don't have any need for more bass response as it is, and I've never considered upgrading to a 612. Now, I generally prefer more mids than bass, so, if you love bass, my opinion may not mean as much to you.

I use two EON610s for live gigging and run stereo. I have to back off the high end a little as those speakers can be a bit bright and harsh. But overall they sound fine, are quite light and seem pretty reliable. Good value for the money.

For rooms under 5,000 SqFt the band I am in uses 5 to 6 of these for monitors based upon the stage.  I am told the sound of my Helix on stage is amazing.  I know I like it.  So, from that perspective I find them to work very well.  I typically go straight in to the PA with no FRFR directly connected to my Helix.  However, this past Sunday I used my Alto TS215 as a FRFR in a church that is more "Wall of Sound" on stage and that sounded very good.  I will see about using one of our ZLX-12P next Sunday and report back.

Not to high-jack the thread but since this is really about FRFR ... we had a pro-setup last Saturday at a fair.  The sound engineers were blown away that they could run my Helix straight to the board and have my Helix channel EQ flat.  One of the sound engineers is also a guitarist and I do believe I have converted him as he said he now knows what he want to buy next.  Resistance is futile ... you will be assimilated!

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread. I'm running my Helix through a JBL EON 615. Twice now I have lost the gain at very important moments. I cant duplicate the problem at home but am suspecting it has to do with heat.

Has anyone had these cabinets cut out on them?....any experiences with heat?...anybody?

I have use a pair of EON610s for a number of years with Helix and never had a gain dropout. Maybe you have a power problem at the gig location?

I use a Powercab+ 112 now instead of the two EON610s. What I have noticed is that the Powercab sounds more natural (less hyped bass and treble) than the EON610s, requires less low and high cut on my IRs, and cuts through the mix a lot better. That may be because I use the Powercab on an amp stand and get it off the floor. That will make it project better and have less flub in the bottom end due to bass coupling with the floor. 

My setup is mono now, but simpler, lighter, faster to setup and sounds better. I can still use the 610s to create a real nice wet-dry-wet setup, but I haven’t found the need for that yet.

15 hours ago, Robbiekol said:

Reviving an old thread. I'm running my Helix through a JBL EON 615. Twice now I have lost the gain at very important moments. I cant duplicate the problem at home but am suspecting it has to do with heat.

Has anyone had these cabinets cut out on them?....any experiences with heat?...anybody?

I have had them fail as they heat up. In my experience using JBLs that has usually been the symptom of a failing board/power supply , usually it gets worse but maybe you'll get lucky and it is something else. You can try playing recorded music through it for a while to see if it happens again. Might not be a conclusive test if is just starting to fail though.