Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headphone setup?

JimDiGritz

Hi, 

I'm still getting to grips with my Helix after a few months, so this might not be the right question!

I mostly use my Helix with Headphones once the kids are in bed. I've got an entry level set of Audio-Technica ATH-M40X Headphones, which seem to have a reasonably flat response compared to my old entry level Sennheisers. I also have a pair of Mackie 4" monitors. I also use both for my PC.

In terms of setup, I'm sending the Helix signal to the Speakers/Headphones via the 1/4" out, through a small Behringer mixer. I'm also mixing the PC sound through the mixer. This way I can jam to backing tracks on my PC, which is 90% of my usage.

I've got a bunch of presets including paid for ones from Glenn DeLaune, Fremen, Marco Fanton and Ben Vesco (I recommend them all btw!)

Some sound great on Headphones, others just don't work as well. I appreciate that headphones aren't moving as much air as a speaker, but interestingly, most sound better when I connect the headphones to the Headphone Out on the Helix.

Does anyone have any suggestions to experiment with, in the preset EQ/settings?

Thanks

I would start by taking the mixer out of the equation. I connect my PC to Helix via USB and you will get audio from your PC to the Helix via USB 1/2. In Global Settings>Inputs/outputs you will see the USB 1/2 level. You will adjust your audio level there. Then you can jam along with the audio with your headphones connected directly to your Helix. 

Connect your speakers directly to Helix. The big volume knob will control speaker volume. You can turn that all the way down when the kids are sleeping, and adjust overall headphone volume with the headphone volume knob. Adjust USB 1/2 volume in Global Settings to mix as needed. 

Once you have done that, then you can tweak some of the presets that you don't like so much to taste. 

Remember that other people's presets were set up monitoring through something different than what you are doing, also using a different guitar. So when you see a preset sounding great in a video online, your experience with the very same preset will vary. 

I would start by taking the mixer out of the equation. I connect my PC to Helix via USB and you will get audio from your PC to the Helix via USB 1/2. In Global Settings>Inputs/outputs you will see the USB 1/2 level. You will adjust your audio level there. Then you can jam along with the audio with your headphones connected directly to your Helix. 

Connect your speakers directly to Helix. The big volume knob will control speaker volume. You can turn that all the way down when the kids are sleeping, and adjust overall headphone volume with the headphone volume knob. Adjust USB 1/2 volume in Global Settings to mix as needed. 

Once you have done that, then you can tweak some of the presets that you don't like so much to taste. 

Remember that other people's presets were set up monitoring through something different than what you are doing, also using a different guitar. So when you see a preset sounding great in a video online, your experience with the very same preset will vary. 

Thanks for the input.

The only downside of the above setup is that my Helix would have to be on to use my PC for other things... unless I've missed something!

Thanks for the input.

The only downside of the above setup is that my Helix would have to be on to use my PC for other things... unless I've missed something!

That is true. I landed up buying myself a Dell 2 in 1 for my music stuff so I am not having to fight the kids for the Mac so they can do their homework. 

Thanks for the input.

I use this solution. I also have a Behringer mixer and was having issues dialing it in with headphones. Most likely it was me and not the mixer.

I ended up plugging my headphones into the helix. Since I use my computer for work I needed sound when the helix wasn't connected.

There is a way to do this. I didn't see a mention of which version of windows so I'll go with win7 which is what I have,

Right Click the speaker icon in next to the clock.

Select 'Playback Devices'

from there I can switch between my computers sound card and the helix.

I only use my computers sound card when I have a meeting and need to 

use my headset with a mic or the Helix isn't connected.

For example:

in the 'Playback' tab I have two entries that interest me.

1. Line 6 Helix

2. SB Recon3D PCIe ( computer sound card )

Right click an entry to get a menu.

when I need my mic (or when the helix is not connected) I right click the 'SB Recon3D PCIe' and click

'Set as Default Device'.

when I want to use my Helix I right click the 'Line 6 Helix' and click

'Set as Default Device'

I use this solution. I also have a Behringer mixer and was having issues dialing it in with headphones. Most likely it was me and not the mixer.

I ended up plugging my headphones into the helix. Since I use my computer for work I needed sound when the helix wasn't connected.

There is a way to do this. I didn't see a mention of which version of windows so I'll go with win7 which is what I have,

Right Click the speaker icon in next to the clock.

Select 'Playback Devices'

from there I can switch between my computers sound card and the helix.

I only use my computers sound card when I have a meeting and need to 

use my headset with a mic or the Helix isn't connected.

For example:

in the 'Playback' tab I have two entries that interest me.

1. Line 6 Helix

2. SB Recon3D PCIe ( computer sound card )

Right click an entry to get a menu.

when I need my mic (or when the helix is not connected) I right click the 'SB Recon3D PCIe' and click

'Set as Default Device'.

when I want to use my Helix I right click the 'Line 6 Helix' and click

'Set as Default Device'

Interesting, can you still jam along to YouTube with this setup?

Interesting, can you still jam along to YouTube with this setup?

Yes. I use Youtube, guitar pro,  transcribe, anything on my computer goes through the helix, as it's now my sound card.

The only constraint regards the speakers, if they are connected to the Helix. Otherwise, you'd need to connect the speakers to the mixer and feed the Helix's output to the mixer (when using the Helix), and feed your computer's analog audio out to the mixer (when using the computer).

The only constraint regards the speakers, if they are connected to the Helix. Otherwise, you'd need to connect the speakers to the mixer and feed the Helix's output to the mixer (when using the Helix), and feed your computer's analog audio out to the mixer (when using the computer).

Yes! I forgot to mention this, I have the helix xlr out and the computers line out going to the mixer then the mixer going to the studio monitors.

I have the 1/4 out on my helix going to a Matrix GT1000 then the 1000 will be going out to a pair XiTone passive 1x12s ( when I get them, just ordered a pair ).

Thanks everyone. I'll have a look at this setup, however I do need to quickly switch between Speakers and Headphones for BOTH guitar and PC and having the Helix as the Soundcard for one or both could be an issue....

I'm already getting slightly concerned that my Helix is on (being used!) for 2+ hours a day as it is!!!