Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500x for bass or else?

syndacate2004

Hello everybody, i'm a bass player.  I felt in love with helix but...it's so expensive, and I don't know if it worths the price for a bassa player. My need is to use some effects (comp. ocatvers, synths, wah) and sometimes amp models becaus I don't wanto to carrie all my stack. 

Now I have a zoom b3, a mark bass super synth and an ebs compressor, but I don't think b3 is good for amp simulation. My question is.....shall I consider POD HD 500x for bass or Helix is however better and worths the price? Shall I look for a used POD x3? I don't know what to do. 

It seems helix is designed expecially for guitar players (I know the firmware update introduced lots of amps for bass), and so the Pod HD (of course I would buy tha bass expansion pack), but pod hd costs about the half of Helix HD. Can you share your experiences with me? Can you give me some good advice please?

Disclaimer: I have never used either unit exclusively for bass. So I cannot give an informed opinion. But I can speak of the two devices in general terms.

I think both units have been made for guitarists - which only makes sense, being that they are the ones that do the most sound manipulation. But they can be used for other instruments.

I've used the 500 for bass. It suited my usage fine. But I don't know what a "bass player" needs 24/7. The 500 does have optional model packs. One of which is exclusively for bass amps.

Helix ($1500) vs HD500x ($500)
On the surface, the Helix does not sound 3x better than the 500. But, the Helix does allow for far more fx blocks and routing options. So, in theory, you can make your tones better because you have more options. But certainly a simple "all things equal" patch, does not justify a 3x price tag.
My opinion is, I don't think it sounds 3x better, even with the additional options available. But, that could be based on my usage.

The primary differences between the two units is not the "sound", it is the extras. Color monitor. Larger display. Touch screen. Touch-sensitive pedals. Android connectivity. So many inputs and outputs. Those kinds of things do not change the tone, but do change the user experience. As well as, previously stated, the possibility of more options will, in theory, allow you to make better tones. 

So, really, between this and your other topic, you need to decide what is more important to you.

Tone or routing.

Tone - HD500x
Routing - Helix

Hello everybody, i'm a bass player.  I felt in love with helix but...it's so expensive, and I don't know if it worths the price for a bassa player. My need is to use some effects (comp. ocatvers, synths, wah) and sometimes amp models becaus I don't wanto to carrie all my stack. 

Now I have a zoom b3, a mark bass super synth and an ebs compressor, but I don't think b3 is good for amp simulation. My question is.....shall I consider POD HD 500x for bass or Helix is however better and worths the price? Shall I look for a used POD x3? I don't know what to do. 

It seems helix is designed expecially for guitar players (I know the firmware update introduced lots of amps for bass), and so the Pod HD (of course I would buy tha bass expansion pack), but pod hd costs about the half of Helix HD. Can you share your experiences with me? Can you give me some good advice please?

Before I provide my opinion and experience with both I should mention that my use for bass on either device is fairly simplistic. A simple clean, clear, and defined bass tone with sometimes a phaser or more likely a flanger thrown in. I always made use of the modeling on both devices. Never play live, only into a DAW and always through headphones. On Helix, I recall one of my songs using a preset originally made for guitar, but adapted slightly for bass, that's basically a distorted guitar with a particle verb and high mix to give a dark, deep synth-like tone for a background ambiance track. The HD would actually be better for something like this because of all the available filters on the HD, which Helix still lacks.

But for a clean, clear, and defined tone Helix is by far better than the HD. I can't ever remember being satisfied with the HD. The tone was always two or more tweaks away from what I wanted. The bass pack, which is necessary imo, made things much easier, but still frustrating. Part of the reason for the frustration was I could not seem to get away from using the EQs, which, on the HD, are a terrible thing to work with. On Helix, I don't think I could find it much easier to make a good tone, especially since they added a 3-band compressor. That in combination with the standalone EQ block that's taken from a Mesa Mark IV amp makes for pretty much an instant great tone.

Not sure about octavers on Helix; there might be a fuzz type distortion in there that has this. Synths on Helix for bass might be a bit disappointing. They probably need to update whatever algorithm they use for pitch effects, as the tracking, in particular for bass, is rather poor. The wahs on Helix are generally good and most of them allow you adjust the low and high frequencies. Never tried one for bass though.

Hey, this is off topic, but I went to this guy's page because one of his videos was one of the recommended videos when I watched the one that was posted above

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvhdK4-QIzo76Y_RIbxZctg

He seems to be making some decent "artist" tones with a Helix LT. Too bad he doesn't tell you how, nor links to a download.

In my experience, the POD HD Bass Pack is awesome for the price. The Gallien-Krueger amp sim is easily the only bass amp I could ever need.

So, if you find an used HD500, you can have a capable machine for a few hundreds.

The Helix is way better, for sure. More bass amps and far better modeling overall.

Take a look at the new BOSS GT-1B also, but I'n not sure about the quality of the amp modeling here. I've tried the GT-001 for guitar and I was not impressed at all. Sold it after a week, keeping my HD500.

I had the BIAS Head for some testing and was (after some tweaking) very impressed of the Orange, GK and Ampeg.

It is a different concept and lacks of any effects but the amp sims and power of the Class-D is very good.

But a POD HD500 with additional amp-pack and a decent amplifier might do the job too.