Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Next Generation POD's

Surima

The next Generation POD's should be equipped with WIFI and should have at least a 4" inch fingertip Display.

As an iPAD

No browsing should be allowed, just intranet connection with the Line6 website. As a protection to malware

No need for a laptop or computer tot connect to Line6

Regards

Glenn

• Downvote 2

There probably won't be another Pod. L6 won't admit it. They might not have even acknowledged it to themselves. But, the Pod is done. The Helix IS the next generation. 

The reason why the current Pods do not have those things is because they are old. The 500 is 7 years old, and the technology is even older. 

Those things weren't as perfected, and certainly weren't as cheap, as they are today. 

But, tell me.... 

Why would we want to connect directly to L6? 

What good is that to anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

The next Generation POD's should be equipped with WIFI and should have at least a 4" inch fingertip Display.

Touchscreens are great for some things, but they're never *automatically* better for a product. Oftentimes, they're slow, clunky, offer zero security feedback during the heat of a gig, and require huge hit points that preclude seeing enough content on the screen at the same time.

For example, what might take two button presses and a quick knob turn on one box might require touch-touch-touch-swipe-swipe-touch-swipe-touch-touch-touch-swipe-swipe-touch on a touchscreen-based box.

They might not have even acknowledged it to themselves. But, the Pod is done.

Wait, are you psychoanalyzing Line 6 staff?  :lol:

Sure, the POD as Line 6's flagship processor is done. The POD itself is far from done.

Ah, screw it. Here's some context:

The $499 price point is a toxic wasteland. Roland/BOSS, Zoom, DigiTech, Line 6—none of us want to touch it, because of one simple reason: Users expect better and more—with nothing else removed from the previous generation—at the same price. This is literally impossible, as manufacturing and labor costs for relatively small-run products (such as modelers) have dramatically increased over the past five years or so. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but if we were to release POD HD500X today with absolutely zero changes, we'd likely have to charge $649. The only reason we can continue to sell it for $499 is because of rock solid contracts.

We saw the writing on the wall many years ago and instead of making another $499 box, we went upmarket with the $1499 Helix. Roland/BOSS went the other direction with the $199 GT-1. DigiTech and Zoom... not sure what they're doing, but I'm highly confident they have similar conversations.

That said, we have some ideas, but none of them look particularly like POD HD500X.

• Upvote 1

@ Pianoguyy and L6 Staff

Instead of downloading to my laptop/desktop:

1. Drivers (OS)
  2. L6 Monkey
  3. L6 Editor

Why not having these on a server at L6, where we as users just have to log into and proceed:

1. Patches down- and uploading 
  2. Firmware updates
  3. Any other update

So at any place where there is wifi, the huge library of patches(sounds) is accesable. An another advantage is that connecting to L6 just requiers an account. You connect faster to L6

The Helix IS will be, or is, the next generation for a another market, I and tons of other guitarists will stick to a $499 box.

I can't imagine L6 writing a program which will needs us navigating ( sweep sweep etc ect)as u mentioned.

Regards

Glenn

• Downvote 1

I remember when Roland first put touch screens in their pianos --- like 1995-ish. Give me some f'n buttons. They were dreadful. And in 20 years, touch screens haven't gotten any better. 

Some people think that you can use touch screens like the phones use, but there is a reason why a new iPhone costs a grand - and it isn't programming or better antennas. 

@ Pianoguyy and L6 Staff

Instead of downloading to my laptop/desktop:

1. Drivers (OS)
  2. L6 Monkey
  3. L6 Editor

Why not having these on a server at L6, where we as users just have to log into and proceed:

1. Patches down- and uploading 
  2. Firmware updates
  3. Any other update

So at any place where there is wifi, the huge library of patches(sounds) is accesable. An another advantage is that connecting to L6 just requiers an account. You connect faster to L6

The Helix IS will be, or is, the next generation for a another market, I and tons of other guitarists will stick to a $499 box.

I can't imagine L6 writing a program which will needs us navigating ( sweep sweep etc ect)as u mentioned.

Regards

Glenn

Having everything connected to the internet introduces a layer of complexity and potential security risks that most companies aren't ready to deal with... Remember that huge denial of service attack back in October 2016? That was propagated in large part by hackers taking advantage of IoT devices such as DVD players and TVs. As soon you have a device with a gateway to the internet, it means that becomes something that can give people access to the device, and more importantly, the network it's connected to.

I was actually visiting Osram's labs last year, and they were talking about how the security aspect of IoT devices. They were thinking about it in how it relates to things similar to the Philips Hue light bulbs, for example. There are a lot of products like that - they are basically devices with IP addresses that live on a network, and most of the time they don't have any sort of security. The hubs aren't even password protected. It's kind of like leaving a door or window open in your house.

First, updates are one thing. But, being that updates happen once every year or two, you want to add Wifi to a unit? Seems like a wasted expense.  

The editor shouldn't be hosted at L6, so that is still one download you need you on your own device. 
But, more importantly, are you carrying your 32 space rack unit to Starbucks with you? How about taking your Pod to the public library? If not, where exactly are you getting this free wifi because Joe's corner pub doesn't provide it. Recording studios don't provide it because the signal causes interference. Life on the road, you don't want to plug your pod into your cigarette lighter, but also Route 66 between Chicago and LA, does not have service. 

It may not be that many taps and swipes, but it isn't going to be a single click like an iPhone - unless you want to pay $2k. 

Now, if you advocate for android and ios support, I am right there with ya. 

If you advocate for some sort of L6 Cloud, where all of my L6 material can be stored in one place instead of me providing 3 and 4 different backups, I am right there with ya. 

But central servers are rarely a good idea. 

Thanks for all the replies on this subjest. :)

I live and work in Amsterdam (The Netherlands). The Netherlands is a very small country (17mln) with a very dense WIFI coverage. 

4k is currently the standard here, there are no blank spots and a large number of free WIFI spots.

But I wasn't planning on using those B)

My idea was/is to start the idea of integrating IT into these devices, and I understand the risks and the logistics of transferring and storing data.

There will always be unwanted, unsual and unauthorized attacks on IT. But the technology is so advanced, and integrated in todays society.

No need to mention Banks, Airlines, Car manufacturers e.g. you name it

It creates a platform where you can take a giant leap compared to ur competitors.

Regards

Glenn