Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

If you had one pedal/amp combination to cover as many bases as possible....

themetallikid

What would it be? 

My interest is in getting some wide preset coverage initially up front so I can implement this into my shows, and then work on more detailed presets later. 

I'm looking for a patch that will cover these areas (some are duplicated):

Preset 1 - I label this my 'Dance' Preset

Snap 1 - Clean - would like this to be an actual clean, JC120 comes to mind, but not sure how well that would build into the next ones

Snap 2 - Gritty - Slight breakup when strumming chords, picking notes would have a touch grit to them (essentially) a dirty clean sound

Snap 3 - Classic - This would be probably in the Plexi range nothing too gainy, I like to reference Boys Are Back in Town kinda feel

Snap 4 - 80's - This would be a boosted version of the Snap 3 setting. 

Preset 2 - I label this my 'Rock' Preset

Snap 1 - Clean - Either Clean or the typical Rock Clean with a touch of grit on it

Snap 2 - 80's - This would be similar to a Plexi/800 type sound

Snap 3 - Boosted 80's - This would be a boosted Modern type sound of a Plexi/800

Snap 4 - Modern - This would be a heavier Recto type sound, little more bass chunk

So, I know I mention Plexi/800 amps and the JC120, but that's only cause those are the models I'm familiar with by name/ear mostly.  Are there any Amp models that with the addition of a pedal in front could cover each of the 4 snaps in that preset?  Of course Eq'ing will help with Preset 2/Snap 4.  It's mainly finding a single Amp to cover from the 'clean' to 'boosted' realm well. 

When I first started with my Fractal Ultra years ago, I did this with a Badger 30 (or was it a 15?), with a volume block in front or using the guitar volume was able to get a convincing clean/gritty and full volume got me into the 80's realm...add a pedal and it was saturated just right. 

Like I said just looking for a spot to start with to get me gigging with this until I can dive in with more depth as I'm just not familiar with a lot of the specific models in the Helix. 

Thanks in advance, Cheers!!

The Plexi Bright model is one of my top 3 favorites on Helix. I play a LOT of clean with that model, but is has the added benefit of getting really crunchy. 

If you are already really familiar and comfortable with the Plexi, I believe it will do everything you are looking for in your post, except for maybe "modern". 

To me the HiWatt would probably be my choice in that situation, primarily because it's traditionally been known for having more of a pure vanilla base sound that is good at reflecting an accurate representation of any pedals that are used with it.  There was a time it was the "go to" amp for just about any purpose be it Doobie Bros, Hank Williams Jr, Aerosmith, Isley Bros. or anything in between.  An extraordinarily versatile amp.

The Plexi Bright model is one of my top 3 favorites on Helix. I play a LOT of clean with that model, but is has the added benefit of getting really crunchy.

If you are already really familiar and comfortable with the Plexi, I believe it will do everything you are looking for in your post, except for maybe "modern".

+1 for the plexi bright model, very usable form clean to crunch and in to lead with lets say the minatour or other overdrive.

I usually have the TS808, Minotaur, and Timmy to choose from on my presets. 

The Cali IV Lead can cover clean to mean in one entire preset. I've got a single preset that covers jazz, funk, country, blues, punk, tight metal, loose metal,

ambience, you name it, it can do it.

After you're post i made a preset with the cali 4lead , 4 snapshots clean/crunch/drive and lead, i think i have a new favourite.

The Cali IV Lead can cover clean to mean in one entire preset. I've got a single preset that covers jazz, funk, country, blues, punk, tight metal, loose metal,

ambience, you name it, it can do it.

After you're post i made a preset with the cali 4lead , 4 snapshots clean/crunch/drive and lead, i think i have a new favourite.

I agree with all of the above. For your Preset 1, I'd also suggest experimenting with the Divided Duo (Div/13), which I've been using like this recently. Since it has two gain controls, it has a very wide variety of tones just by working with those. I think the concept is that one of the gains controls a preamp tube like you might find in a Fender and the other gain controls a preamp that is set up more like a Vox, and you can blend the two. It might not be ideal for your Preset 2, but I've never actually tried to get high-gain out of it, so I don't know how that would sound. You'd probably need a DS2 pedal or something like that for the heavier stuff. 

The Cali IV Lead can cover clean to mean in one entire preset. I've got a single preset that covers jazz, funk, country, blues, punk, tight metal, loose metal, ambience, you name it, it can do it.

Hey Is this on custom tone, I would to play this preset!

Matchless is literally the only amp I need in Helix. I adore it. I generally use Ch 1, because I don't go full on with distortion very much. But if there's a sound that can't be made with the Matchless Jump model (through a dual cab with the two matchless hybrid cabs)... I probably don't want to hear it.

• 2 weeks later...