Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can i hack the effects board for chorus only?

BowerR64

Is there a pinout of the effects chip or anything where i can cut a trace on the board or lift a pin so there is only chorus without the flange? both of those effects combined just sound cheesy to my ears.

Just think of all those older line 6 amps that would be useable if only you could select chorus or flange only? ditch phaser and ditch tremolo just make flange and chorus 2 seperate effects one or the other not combined.

The delay IMO isnt to bad when its just barley on, but the flange/chorus? its so unusable even on the lowest setting its so overwhelming.

It is a Spider IV 30 a friend gave me and ive managed to dial in some nice tones with it i just wish i could get a nice clean chorus sound from it that didnt sound like i was playing threw a jet engine or something.

No there isn't.

Cutting any trace would send wrong data to the chip.

All FX would be full on, full off or a jumble.

The digital chips in general have expectations of of data. Messing with that confuses

the program, and gibberish comes out. Just knowing the pin-outs isn't enough.

I used to do digital mod updates when I was servicing M20 ADAT's back when I was in

repair at Alesis. It's touchy surface mount stuff, not to be taken lightly or messed with

without the proper tools.

If it were op-amp circuits in an all analog amp, that would be a different story.

You always get a DL4, run it into the Spider IV 30, running the amp totally clean of FX,

accept for the DL4. And you would have better control-ability of your FX's. 

what about with one of the pedals? can the effects be altered threw a program with one of the pedals hooked to a computer threw the USB?

Do the spider Vs combine chorus and flange again in one control? 

I still find it hard to believe they went threw 4 versions of this amp and it was never changed. I guess it sounds good to most people? Dont get me wrong i like flange and i love chorus but just not both of them together is all i know im like a broken record

On the chip i know it uses resistance to control the effect because the pot is a variable resistor it was wishful thinking that it could be turned off some how

What, I think you are confused !

The Chorus models and Flanger models in the Spider III/Spider IV are connected with the FX-2 knob/control. They are separate effects ! You can't use both at the same time !

Use the Presets knob on the right side to select the specific model that you want. The Infusion 2.0 patch expands the Chorus/Flanger effects choices in line with the Spider V amps.

If you want Chorus + Flanger you must use a separate Chorus or Flanger pedal at the amp input !

Mark

I see the problem is the Spider IV 30. Isn't the Flanger effect "behind" the Chorus ? No ? What the heck did Line 6 do ?

Look folks, all you serious guitar players should not bother with any of the 15 or 30 watt models of the Spider IV or V. These lower cost models just cause confusion because they are so "stripped down".

Particularly today when the Spider V is so unpopular, stores like GC have to mark Spider V's down just to move them, and this has the effect of depressing the prices on the older "used" and almost "new" Spider IV amps.

Pick up a Spider IV 75, 120, or 150 at a steep discount. Even some "new" (used in the store) ones are available - under all that dust in the GC back room ! Have that lazy sales guy put down his guitar, and dig one out for you in the store room !

Mark

What, I think you are confused !

The Chorus models and Flanger models in the Spider III/Spider IV are connected with the FX-2 knob/control. They are separate effects ! You can't use both at the same time !

Use the Presets knob on the right side to select the specific model that you want. The Infusion 2.0 patch expands the Chorus/Flanger effects choices in line with the Spider V amps.

If you want Chorus + Flanger you must use a separate Chorus or Flanger pedal at the amp input !

Mark

Im not confused i can hear it and see it on the panel of the amp it clearly says Chorus/flange thats 2 different modulation effects combined which to my ears sounds horrible i use chorus and i use flange but NEVER together at the same time and never as much on the lowest setting. I like a slooow chorus with a looong slope.

If i cant alter it thats fine, its more of a rant then anything its just frustrating the amp tones from this thing are great and the delays are decent just wish i could get the chorus to work so the clean channels had some life to em.

I mainly only use delay with distortion some times chorus but i like chorus with clean when playing chords it kinda helps with mild intonation issues guitars have the chorus kinda hides it

I see the problem is the Spider IV 30. Isn't the Flanger effect "behind" the Chorus ? No ? What the heck did Line 6 do ?

Look folks, all you serious guitar players should not bother with any of the 15 or 30 watt models of the Spider IV or V. These lower cost models just cause confusion because they are so "stripped down".

Particularly today when the Spider V is so unpopular, stores like GC have to mark Spider V's down just to move them, and this has the effect of depressing the prices on the older "used" and almost "new" Spider IV amps.

Pick up a Spider IV 75, 120, or 150 at a steep discount. Even some "new" (used in the store) ones are available - under all that dust in the GC back room ! Have that lazy sales guy put down his guitar, and dig one out for you in the store room !

Mark

I havnt has a 75 but i have a 120 stereo spider 3 and it has the same issue with the chorus and flange together. The only expansion pedal ive tried is the older FBV Shortboard it works on the IV 30 opens up all the patches the IV has in it

Ide trade the sweep echo, tape echo, phaser and tremolo just to have a decent chorus and delay if memory was the issue

To bad there isnt a mod chip hack like on the playstation to alter the things on the amp lol