Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wah's and Why?

themetallikid

So I watched a video last night regarding the different wah models and how they are basically the same, just different frequency ranges.  Is there anything else that separates the Wahs?   I'd assume there are some baked in settings regarding the 'Q' of the wah and resonance type stuff as well. 

Do you have a favorite and what do you like about that one over the others? 

I found on the Jim Dunlop website that most of the Wah pedals have manuals.  There are specs for many of the wahs listed with heel down and toe down frequencies.  

For example, the EVH Wah:

Filter Parameter Low Pass ..................... 300Hz ~ 380Hz High Pass .................. 1.9kHz ~ 2.3kHz

The Q also makes each wah unique, which is the width of the frequency that is spiked.  If you like Fassel inductors then you start with the Fassel wah model.

What I hope Line6 does in the future is allow the adjustment of the Q in the Helix.  At that point you can pretty much customize the Wah to sound like whatever you want.

That looks to be a great resource.  Thanks Farley....

I've had several modelers with different wahs and there is usually more than a few models that just seem unusable.  Just checking if there was a 'fan' favorite in the Helix or if they are all pretty usable and different.  That video I saw seemed to really make them all sound similar when the Frequencies were evened out.  Now I understand the frequency range is a factor in the wah sound, but so is Q, resonance and such.  I assume the Helix has those parameters baked into the Wah models. 

The Q also makes each wah unique, which is the width of the frequency that is spiked.  If you like Fassel inductors then you start with the Fassel wah model.

What I hope Line6 does in the future is allow the adjustment of the Q in the Helix.  At that point you can pretty much customize the Wah to sound like whatever you want.

This.

Agree that all the models sound very similar outside of their frequency ranges, and that's adjustable anyway. Q really should be adjustable too.

I currently like the throaty with FcLow 350 and FcHigh 1600. But this is also in combination with the Cali IV Lead amp, a Redwirez EnglPro Tab57 12 inches and the built in XXL V30 cab in parallel. With different cabs, and possibly a different amp, my wah of choice would likely also be different.

Alex, yes...I will also be utilizing an auto engage function with the wah as well.  Any quick starts on how that gets setup?  

Also saw in the manual that when a separate EXP is attached, the onboard one defaults to EXP 1 and the external defaults to 2......but then when a volume/wah are added, they default to one of the pedals specifically...can this be changed or is it hard coded and just the way it is?  

I will more than likely not use Wah on every patch, but will probably have a volume pedal pre-amp to adjust input gain on the fly...I'd prefer to using the onboard for the volume and external for wah, but can't remember how it defaults per the manual.  

Alex, yes...I will also be utilizing an auto engage function with the wah as well.  Any quick starts on how that gets setup?  

Also saw in the manual that when a separate EXP is attached, the onboard one defaults to EXP 1 and the external defaults to 2......but then when a volume/wah are added, they default to one of the pedals specifically...can this be changed or is it hard coded and just the way it is?  

I will more than likely not use Wah on every patch, but will probably have a volume pedal pre-amp to adjust input gain on the fly...I'd prefer to using the onboard for the volume and external for wah, but can't remember how it defaults per the manual.  

For auto engage:

Menu

Bypass assign

Then change switch, position, and wait to what you want

Don't recall what all the defaults are, but you can change them to whatever you want.

Alex, yes...I will also be utilizing an auto engage function with the wah as well. Any quick starts on how that gets setup?

Wah, bypass assign change to whichever exp (I use exp 2), controller assign change to whatever exp (again exp 2 for me). Plug your external exp pedal into exp3 to avoid all the weirdness.