Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv-89f Modeling Acts Like There Is A Noise Gate That Kills The Sustain?

Just wondering if anyone else with a JTV-89F (latest firmware 2.0) has noticed when using any of the models that the sustain gets choked off after a few seconds? Everything is awesome otherwise. I turn off the modeling and just use the pickups and its fine. Is there some kind of noise gate behavior going on to control the noise? If there is, it's killing the whole metal power chordsthat you want to let sustain for more than a few seconds or so. I hit a power chord and after about 3 or 4 seconds, it cuts out quickly, like a rude noise gate. If they did something like that, I can understand for the noise control , but is there a way to turn it off, or adjust it? Just like any rig, it depends on the tune, sometimes i turn off noise gates for sustain and live with some noise for a solo or power chords. I have no noise gates in the signal chain at all on my Eleven rack, and if I did, it would cut out the pickups only too. (no noise gates on the Eleven rack)

Like I said, awesome otherwise, plays great, sounds are pretty close to great unless you are in a nit picking mood and Alt Tunings are simply the Bomb! The modeling pickups are fine, but hit a power chord and it stops after about 4 seconds, that might just kill it for me, I got this for Alt tunings more than anything, and you can't "just use the pickups" for Alt tunings can you?

I just got it Friday so maybe I have missed something? :-o

• Upvote 1

My JTV-59 loaded with HD 2.0 firmware has this same "Noise Gate " phenomena - specifically noticeable on all "Spank" (Strat) positions. Its so non useable, with zero sustain!

Something is very wrong when I cant get any note in the Spank position to last longer than 3 seconds when playing Really Loud with my HD-500 on the Bogner® Uberschall Amp Sim and with all Noise Gates disabled,   Sounds like I stuffed dampening sponges under the strings. Really hate it. 

I reverted back to firmware 1.9 - and got my tone (and sustain) back.

Interesting, i noticed it on just about any model i tried, But the Lester models is was what i played with most so far. I am starting to wonder if it is a grounding or wiring issue too, but then why would it always sound out the chords in real time, for chunking rhythms its great, but hit a chord and let it ring out, and after 3-4 seconds it abruptly stops as if you just palmed it or hit mute? Weird. If it's possible, I suppose I could try an older firmware.

Thanks!

I haven't noticed that at all. Haven't been looking or listening for it, but I think I would have noticed right away if it was that dramatic. The guitar I have rings like a bell acoustically, and with the mags. I’ll have to do some comparisons tonight & see if the sustain is any different.

I highly suggest if Line6 added an ADSR system to the electric guitar models just because "A Strat usually has less sustain than a Les Paul" and stuff like that, that we strongly suggest they remove it or have an option to turn it off in Workbench.

It's fine when it's something that calls for it, like the Banjo model, but when it comes to an electric guitar, sustain loss shouldn't be "emulated".

Sustain is determined by many factors, so making it so that the strat model has bad sustain isn't a good idea at all.

• Upvote 1

Can't say I notice anything even remotely similar to what's being described here...

I suggest people post clips to try to show the event in action.

I've heard about them talk on a video about "notice how the LP has more sustain", but I was hoping they just mean because the LP is louder than a strat, so it appears to have more sustain. (Fake sustain)

That was like in 1.7 firmware though.

Like I said, if it does have some sort of decay effect in the Strat and other guitars, I really do think Line6 should fix that.

Definitely not just certain models. Spanks, Lesters, it is doing it on as many models as I have tried. I have a Plexiglass Preset on my EleveRack that that I modified to basically a Judas Priest/ Iron Maiden sound. It does not matter what guitar (or model) I run through it, it has heavy sustain and gain. When I do 1/4 note driving rhythm chords steady, you wouldn't notice anything wrong. However, if I hit a chord once and wanted let it go for 2 measures, then nope, not gonna happen. After 4 beats at say 80 BPM, it will go 1 measure, then poof! nothing, it dies out immediately as if someone just pulled the plug. from 100 volume to 0.

My Battery is down to 1 Bar, maybe I'll try charging it and see if it still does it. Also, I'll have to look and see if I can put an older version of firmware on it. This one came with 2.0 already loaded on it. Maybe something going on with a grounding wire possibly too?

But wow, it's almost like Candid camera, like someone's around the corner somehow, turning on the noise gate and clamping it right out after 4 seconds!

ok, I Lied! Its avg 10 beats, not 4. hit a chord once and count 8-10 beats, then its cut off dead, quickly, not a natural decay.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

ok sorry for the delay, just recouping from knee surgery, but this ended up being a false alarm! I finally got smart and plugged the JTV-89F into something other than my Eleven Rack. The Eleven Rack was the culprit!!!! I plugged into my HD100 MKII and my old Guitar Port and no cut outs!

SO....Thanks for the responses and yes, go ahead and rip me now. I'm just glad the guitar is functioning just fine, no complaints now! I hope the Reliability has improved from past models and reading about the fun of parts failing. They should make the guts of this guitar a modular design so you can pull it out and replace it, or upgrade it! Get a spare brain and if the original fails, pull it out, ship it in for repair and use the spare.

ok, well, that just about does it for this thread eh? 

• Upvote 1

Don't feel bad, I had the same issue at first with my POD HD. I had noise reduction and gating set up for my strat, the Variax doesn't need that so as soon as I took it off my patches my 89 had nice sustain. 

Update:

ok sorry for the delay, just recouping from knee surgery, but this ended up being a false alarm! I finally got smart and plugged the JTV-89F into something other than my Eleven Rack. The Eleven Rack was the culprit!!!! I plugged into my HD100 MKII and my old Guitar Port and no cut outs!

SO....Thanks for the responses and yes, go ahead and rip me now. I'm just glad the guitar is functioning just fine, no complaints now! I hope the Reliability has improved from past models and reading about the fun of parts failing. They should make the guts of this guitar a modular design so you can pull it out and replace it, or upgrade it! Get a spare brain and if the original fails, pull it out, ship it in for repair and use the spare.

ok, well, that just about does it for this thread eh? 

Haha, well, I guess the reason it sounded like a noise gate is because you had an actual noise gate! It's all good.

• 4 years later...

I just got a used JTV-59.  Plugged it into a digital mixer and had this exact problem - notes would cut off as if there were a noise gate engaged.  Downloaded Workbench to try to fix it, couldn't find a noise gate feature.  Stumbled across this thread and realized... the noise gate was on my mixer - I was plugged into a drum channel.  <facepalm>

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

dead thread bump

I'm getting this with firmware version 2.10 on an 89F; it sounds like a triggered envelope is being applied.    I can hear this across all models and pickups, and still occurs even when the neutral body model is selected.     Maybe everyone has moved on, just mentioning with the hope that someday this is something that can be addressed.    I have no facts but guessing that the floyd + graphtech pickups added more sustain and a triggered envelope was added to counter act.   Sorry, just wild speculation,  but if that is the case, then an off switch would be much appreciated.

Try lowering and balancing the global string volumes. If they're too loud, they could be triggering some odd reaction in the models. I seem to recall others have had some success getting the sustain back doing this, but I could be remembering wrong.