Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Your advice on bad squeals feedback through FRFR monit

mikebruno

Hey!

I now know I like that FRFR solution for my tone but !!

When loud on a solo ( solo meaning hi gain and loud) I get bad squeals off from the powered floor monitors.

These days I only rent monitors cause I don't have mine yet. I have used the DXR12 Yamaha ...

Do you guys have to deal with this?? Feedback squeals?

And that's why I get the idea of getting those coaxial 12 ' speakers so that I feel that 1- You get a better hi low blend and 2- no phase issue. 3- No way I will only hear the tweeter cause of bad positioning... 4- And probably eliminate the squeals !!!

Your thoughts on all that??

The monitors I'm planning to get is the Turbosound TFX122M-AN Flashline

Thanks.

I use a DXR12, up on a pole stand, behind me, when playing in my band. I don't have a problem with squeals, but I do like that I can get controlled feedback pretty easy when using a high gain lead patch. When I want it, I raise the guitar up and facing back, over my shoulder. When I start to get it, but don't want it, I turn and take a step away . You are probably using more volume than I am. Are your pups potted? 

Feedback really has little to do with the type of speaker although the type of speaker might affect the frequencies that would tend to feed back.  Chances are you'll experience feedback on whatever speaker you get as it's not a function of the speaker but a function of the volume and it's placement relative to your guitar.  I assume if you're using the DXR12 as a monitor facing you that you're using a direct line to the mixing board and to the FOH for the sound for the audience.  In which case I can't imagine why you would need that much volume feeding your personal monitor since the FOH is doing all the heavy lifting for getting the sound to the audience.  I'd work on placement as well as stage volume as the main culprits.

I use a DXR12 and have it positioned behind me as a floor monitor.  The only feedback I've ever experienced has been when I use my Gretsch hollow body guitar and it was due to having my volume up too high.  This doesn't happen any more since I've incorporated a better process for dialing in my volume settings.

Someone asked if your pickups are potted?  I had squeal (as different to nice musical feedback) without a lot of gain at a medium level with the Fender Shawbucker - that was because it wasn't wax potted.  This is a new and interesting thing happening with guitars - in order to recreate things we liked about old pickups we also bring back all the problems!  I got rid of that Shawbucker fast - problem solved!  Will happen with just about any speaker and amp combo.

It might be as simple as reducing the output level to the monitors, the level on the monitor itself, adding the pad to the guitar input block, or some judicious EQ, particularly on the mid-high end of the spectrum. I might try sweeping with a high cut to localize where the squeal is happening.