Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT broken EXP pedal for the second time

scoot13

I bought a Helix LT about five weeks ago and used it for about three gigs before the EXP pedal broke.  It felt like it came loose at the axle and seemed like an easy fix but it was under warranty so I just swapped it out for a new one.  I've had the new one for two weekends and again it broke on about the forth show.  This time I peeked inside the chassis and I saw that it is not an easy fix.  It is actually broken off completely from where it is anchored, which is about a 1/8" thin strip of metal on each side of the pedal.  I can send this one back too but I want to know that I can get one that will last.

I played HD500 and the HD500X for the last 6-7 years and I never had an issue with the pedals.  Now I've gone through two Helix LT units in less than six weeks!  Anyone else have an issue like this?

I bought a Helix LT about five weeks ago and used it for about three gigs before the EXP pedal broke.  It felt like it came loose at the axle and seemed like an easy fix but it was under warranty so I just swapped it out for a new one.  I've had the new one for two weekends and again it broke on about the forth show.  This time I peeked inside the chassis and I saw that it is not an easy fix.  It is actually broken off completely from where it is anchored, which is about a 1/8" thin strip of metal on each side of the pedal.  I can send this one back too but I want to know that I can get one that will last.

I played HD500 and the HD500X for the last 6-7 years and I never had an issue with the pedals.  Now I've gone through two Helix LT units in less than six weeks!  Anyone else have an issue like this?

It is so weird that I am the only LT owner that has had this issue.  After looking at the inferior build, I know that there is no way that it is gonna last for me any amount of time in the manner I am using it now (as a 75%-100% volume pedal on every patch).  I play 2-4 nights a week on average and the first one made it three shows, this one made it four.  I'm about 165 lbs and I don't stand on it or anything, it takes a lot more pressure to activate the wah than my HD500x did for sure.  It broke completely loose from the chassis (that it is only anchored to in two small points) and does not seem repairable without either welding or getting a new chassis.

My Helix experience has been awesome.  Love the sounds, it's easy to create usable patches, etc.  My LT experience OTOH has not been good.  This thing seems to be very flimsy and the metal is not strong enough to hold the EXP pedal without bending and, eventually breaking.

I wanted a Helix forever but couldn't justify the cost.  Then I ordered the LT almost as soon as I found out about it.  I've already purchased some IRs as well.   I don't want to go back to the HD500x sounds again after having Helix for six weeks. 

At some point they will start making me send it back for service instead of giving me a new one.  At some point, my warranty will end and they won't fix it.  So, I guess if I wanna play a Helix,  my only real option is to go ahead and bite the bullet and buy the big Helix. (which I just did,  it will be here Friday).  I'm in way too deep to get out now  :(

• Upvote 1

Buy an external pedal and forget about the one in the Helix LT. I think this is the only way you have to solve the problem, IF the problem does exist on a constant basis.

Not a smart solution at all.  I don't have room for another exp pedal on my board.  Also, I'm not gonna pay $1000 for a piece of equipment that is too delicate to use!  I answered my own question and already ordered the real Helix. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It is so weird that I am the only LT owner that has had this issue.  After looking at the inferior build, I know that there is no way that it is gonna last for me any amount of time in the manner I am using it now (as a 75%-100% volume pedal on every patch).  I play 2-4 nights a week on average and the first one made it three shows, this one made it four.  I'm about 165 lbs and I don't stand on it or anything, it takes a lot more pressure to activate the wah than my HD500x did for sure.  It broke completely loose from the chassis (that it is only anchored to in two small points) and does not seem repairable without either welding or getting a new chassis.

My Helix experience has been awesome.  Love the sounds, it's easy to create usable patches, etc.  My LT experience OTOH has not been good.  This thing seems to be very flimsy and the metal is not strong enough to hold the EXP pedal without bending and, eventually breaking.

I wanted a Helix forever but couldn't justify the cost.  Then I ordered the LT almost as soon as I found out about it.  I've already purchased some IRs as well.   I don't want to go back to the HD500x sounds again after having Helix for six weeks. 

At some point they will start making me send it back for service instead of giving me a new one.  At some point, my warranty will end and they won't fix it.  So, I guess if I wanna play a Helix,  my only real option is to go ahead and bite the bullet and buy the big Helix. (which I just did,  it will be here Friday).  I'm in way too deep to get out now  :(

If it is some sort of systemic problem because of a production issue or part or whatnot, Line 6 will most likely change the design of the pedal. It's not necessarily uncommon for these sorts of changes to be made between production runs. As far as the warranty, the standard warranty was recently extended to two years, so you have a while yet. Also, historically, for genuine systemic hardware issues, Line 6 has offered lifetime warranties for servicing those parts. This is what they did for the switches on the X3L, for example.

All that being said, I have no way of knowing how common this particular problem is. I've seen a few accounts, like less than half a dozen, between here and Facebook, so it's hard to extrapolate that to some sort of real world failure rate.

Well, I'm sorry that you guys had this issue also but it does confirm that it's not all me.  I used the LT the same way I used my HD500x and the HD500 before that and it wasn't strong enough to get through four nights.

Did you open a ticket with Line 6? They will make it right. If the problem persists with many units they will change the design/faulty part. 

My dealer has been very co-operative in exchanging the units.  I am no longer an LT owner, they split the cost difference with me on an upgrade to a Helix.  The pedal design is different and, hopefully, more hardy.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I did Thanks.

Real bad timing, I have to get my pedalboard back up and dialed in until this is resolved.

On the other hand this is the 1st line 6 or orher digital unit that does what I want it to do. They really figured tube nuances.

If you back up your system and restore the backup, there is no "dialing back in" required. That is the beauty of digital. You can put your saved presets on ANY Helix unit, and you have exactly the same tone. 

After looking at the inferior build, I know that there is no way that it is gonna last for me any amount of time in the manner I am using it now (as a 75%-100% volume pedal on every patch). 

So I guess I need to ask if Helix LT is such an inferior build design for you (or anyone else that feels this way), why do you still have it? You wouldn't keep a new car with an inferior build, would you?

I'm not sure what my options are.

I don't want to spend another $500 to upgrade however I know this is going to happen again. I did plug my.ole pedal board in and was very happy with my.old tones. What is line 6 going to do for us?

If they give me an outboard exp pedal I'd prob be happy enough.

I'm not sure what my options are.

I don't want to spend another $500 to upgrade however I know this is going to happen again. I did plug my.ole pedal board in and was very happy with my.old tones. What is line 6 going to do for us?

If they give me an outboard exp pedal I'd prob be happy enough.

Line 6 will replace your unit. If there really is a build issue such that there is a weak spot, they typically revise those sorts of things at the factory.

Guys, he said right at the top and through that he upgraded to Helix Floor... He's all set.  Based on the feedback I am seeing, my bet is Line 6 is looking to find a way to upgrade the pedal support design on the LT... At least I hope so... I certainly see lots of pics of LT on stage.

Dude, if you break your Helix Floor, you are one STRONG MF ;)

Sorry you had such issues.

As another data point, I've never been a fan of the Expression pedal switch... first thing I did was add my volume pedal to my floor so I could dedicate the onboard pedal to whatever function I'm using it for and not have to deal with switching back and forth with that pedal switch. (Not to mention I hate having to wrap my head around a pedal having two functions, last thing I want to do on stage is have to think... I have enough to worry about than to have to use my brain during a performance... Eek!)

• 1 month later...

I’ve had mine 5 weeks, took it out to its first gig yesterday and the foot pedal broke. Pathetic. Ive asked to swap it to a head rush, probably won’t be allowed. But this thing won’t last heavy gigging. Very disappointed and unless line 6 upgrade the design and swap mine for the update I won’t be buying Line 6 again. Very poor.

I’ve had mine 5 weeks, took it out to its first gig yesterday and the foot pedal broke. Pathetic. Ive asked to swap it to a head rush, probably won’t be allowed. But this thing won’t last heavy gigging. Very disappointed and unless line 6 upgrade the design and swap mine for the update I won’t be buying Line 6 again. Very poor.

On Facebook, Frank Ritchotte, Line 6's Senior Director of Business Operations (he oversees customer service for Line 6), said that they found there have been some LTs that left the factory with the pedal being built incorrectly. They are replacing any units that have this failure. So either exchange it through the retailer or contact Line 6 by opening up a support ticket. They will take care of it.

Also, FWIW, Frank said they have found about 50 failures out of the 10,000+ LTs sold.

IMHO, you'll be much better off sticking with the LT in the long run. I don't expect inMusic to support the Headrush for very long.

• 2 months later...

I know it is supposed to be designed for It, but doesn't it seem a bit strange to complain about a $1000 multi effects unit breaking when we put it on the floor in front of us for the purpose of steping all over it for hours ? (ducks as rocks whiz by)...I'm sure I might feel different if it was mine that was broken.

• 2 months later...

I had the same issue i submitted a support ticket and was told it has to be replaced. The reason is that some units came off a faulty production line. A metal press was apparently defect and caused this issue to some units. I sent mine back and have requested an upgrade to the full board and will pay the difference

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, otnooishphoo said:

This happened to mine.  Hopefully I can just get a quick replacement from my local shop.

The actual metal its attached to sheared off.

IMG_2287.jpg

Open up a support ticket and Line 6 will send you a replacement.

"This is what they did for the switches on the X3L, for example"

You mean I bought a bag of one hundred of these (smallest Qty I could find) & replaced them myself for nothing? Oh well, having carnal knowledge of it didn't hurt me, maybe it made me appreciate my LT more.

To the OP, only had mine a week or so but if I have any EXP issues I'll report it- so far it seems fairly robust.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have the same problem. I‘m getting my 3rd LT (my 2nd replacment) this week. The 1st LT made 1 show, the 2nd also 1 rehearsal and 1 show. I‘m just about 70kg and did barely use the pedal - really strange. Also I have to say the pedals didn‘t break, but after the show they became hard to move and did squeak. 

7 minutes ago, nickzang said:

Hi guys, I have the same problem. I‘m getting my 3rd LT (my 2nd replacment) this week. The 1st LT made 1 show, the 2nd also 1 rehearsal and 1 show. I‘m just about 70kg and did barely use the pedal - really strange. Also I have to say the pedals didn‘t break, but after the show they became hard to move and did squeak. 

Open up a support ticket and Line 6 will send you another one. The ones that were produced with this particular fault will all break eventually. They should be getting all cleared out, but there's probably some more out there yet.

Although, I'm not clear that you're describing the same sort of thing in your post. Did the pedal break or not? For this particular failure, the metal shears off. If the pedal is simply tight, that may be a matter of the tension needing adjusted.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:40 PM, spikey said:

I know it is supposed to be designed for It, but doesn't it seem a bit strange to complain about a $1000 multi effects unit breaking when we put it on the floor in front of us for the purpose of steping all over it for hours ? (ducks as rocks whiz by)...I'm sure I might feel different if it was mine that was broken.

Just to play devil's advocate, I would find it strange that if you are building a pedal that is supposed to be on the floor in front of us for the purpose stepping all over it for hours, you would build it so it can handle that job without breaking. At least for awhile. It would be like making a hammer that breaks after pounding in 5 nails. Yes, it's a cheap hammer but it should do the job it's supposed to do for awhile. It's not like they're buying the LT from a dollar store. I would expect that stuff to fail quickly. Even the hammer. I would at least expect the LT to last a lot longer than it has for these people. Yes, it's $500 less than the Helix regular but I've had several $1000 effects units and they still work after a decade or two. Hell my $500 Line 6 floor effects units are all still working. Given your theory, shouldn't they have broken down quickly as well? If not $500 quicker?

Yes, I see yer point. Was being a wee bit facetious. OTOH we now mostly build items to sell, not to last forever or even work correctly sometimes (or last even much after the 1st 12 months). 

Given your theory, shouldn't they have broken down quickly as well? If not $500 quicker?

Please see above. ; ) All kidding aside, I do think if it goes on the floor to be stepped/stomped on, it should at least last as long as the warranty. 

Open up a support ticket and Line 6 will send you another one. The ones that were produced with this particular fault will all break eventually

I'm assuming that in doing this, you have to send the broken unit in? And if so, then Line-6 then pays for the return shipping of the broken unit?

Or do they get to keep the broken unit too?

Either way, If that the case, then kudo's to Line-6. There, I said it. ; )

15 hours ago, spikey said:

I'm assuming that in doing this, you have to send the broken unit in? And if so, then Line-6 then pays for the return shipping of the broken unit?

Or do they get to keep the broken unit too?

Either way, If that the case, then kudo's to Line-6. There, I said it. ; )

Seems like they've been overnighting the new units to people when possible. I assume for some international customers, that's not necessarily possible. I think Line 6 is issuing RMAs and shipping labels to get the broken units back. Given the nature of this flaw, I suspect this is being covered by the factory making the units, so they probably need the broken ones back.

• 4 weeks later...