Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshots and manual bypass assign

sfx70

Hi all

Is there any way to assign the state of the block to a snapsot manually vs automatically in a 4 snapshot / 4 stomp mode? I want to have clean, dirty clean, lo gain and solo on the 4 snapshots and completely independent stomp on the other row.

Scenario: the delay or chorus (that are controlled by stomp footswitches) active while I switch clean to gain to solo.

Thx

Hi all

Is there any way to assign the state of the block to a snapsot manually vs automatically in a 4 snapshot / 4 stomp mode? I want to have clean, dirty clean, lo gain and solo on the 4 snapshots and completely independent stomp on the other row.

Scenario: the delay or chorus (that are controlled by stomp footswitches) active while I switch clean to gain to solo.

Thx

Yes, you can do this. Remember, snapshots only change parameters that you assign to snaps (parameter will be in brackets). Everything else can be independently controlled by the stomps on the other row. I have quite a few presets set up like this. 

Yes, you can do this. Remember, snapshots only change parameters that you assign to snaps (parameter will be in brackets). Everything else can be independently controlled by the stomps on the other row. I have quite a few presets set up like this.

Hmmm.....I think snapshots not only change parameters but also the state of a block (active or bypassed), depending on how the block in a snapshot is programmed (active or bypassed).

Of course you can control the state of stomps manually with a footswitch, but when you go to a snapshot with an active delay, the delay will be set to active, there is no way around that.

So...no...the state of a block cannot be set to 'completely independent' of a snaphot.

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad. It would have been nice to have full control over the blocks that are controlled by the stomp footswitches....

Is there any other way to achieve what I want to do here?

Basically i need the 4 sounds (clean, dirty clean, lo gain high gain) that are activated by pressing its corresponding switch vs tap dancing multiple switches and have some effects in true stomp mode. I play a lof improvisation and on the fly type grooves and need to be able to have that flexibility. That's one thing I loved about my M13. Thx

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad. It would have been nice to have full control over the blocks that are controlled by the stomp footswitches....

Is there any other way to achieve what I want to do here?

Basically i need the 4 sounds (clean, dirty clean, lo gain high gain) that are activated by pressing its corresponding switch vs tap dancing multiple switches and have some effects in true stomp mode. I play a lof improvisation and on the fly type grooves and need to be able to have that flexibility. That's one thing I loved about my M13. Thx

I don't completely understand the problem. Why not make 4 snapshots or 4 presets?? You can activate them by one tap on a FS. And use snap/stomp or preset/stomp mode to have access to these snaps or presets AND some stomps. That is flexible. Thought you asked if it was possible to have the stomps do nothing while switching snaps, no that is not possible. But you can just make snaps or presets and put them under footswitches and still have a row of footswitches left for the stomps, so where is the inflexibility?

Here's a potentially relevant snip from the manual:

IMPORTANT! Snapshots make it easy for multiple blocks assigned to the same footswitch to end up in unexpected states. For example, if FS2 toggles between Delay (ON) and Reverb (OFF) blocks and a snapshot turns the Reverb on, FS2 will suddenly turn both blocks on and off together.

Hmmm.....I think snapshots not only change parameters but also the state of a block (active or bypassed), depending on how the block in a snapshot is programmed (active or bypassed).

Of course you can control the state of stomps manually with a footswitch, but when you go to a snapshot with an active delay, the delay will be set to active, there is no way around that.

So...no...the state of a block cannot be set to 'completely independent' of a snaphot.

True. I have my snapshot edits set to "discard", so when I hit a snapshot, it loads up what was originally saved. My stomps on the bottom row will toggle on/off effect blocks. However, my snapshots are saved "dry" so that they only effect amp and overdrive pedal parameters. 

So if I am playing on my "clean" snap, turn on a delay, then hit my "crunch" snap, the delay state reverts to what was saved for that snap. 

There is no one particular work flow that works for everything. If you are wanting to make dramatic changes in a single preset, then snaps is perfect for that. If you want the most flexibility within a single preset, I am finding 10 stomp mode works better for me. I have many stomps programmed to change multiple parameters. Etc... Your needs will vary. 

I don't completely understand the problem. Why not make 4 snapshots or 4 presets?? You can activate them by one tap on a FS. And use snap/stomp or preset/stomp mode to have access to these snaps or presets AND some stomps. That is flexible. Thought you asked if it was possible to have the stomps do nothing while switching snaps, no that is not possible. But you can just make snaps or presets and put them under footswitches and still have a row of footswitches left for the stomps, so where is the inflexibility?

Hi

I set up all snapshots just with clean, dirt clean, lo gain and high gain (snap 1, 2, 3, and 4). All stomps are off on all snaps.

Let's say I'm on clean and turn on my delay on using one of the 4 stomp and my wah on (activated by the EXP pedal). Then I get into a solo - I hit snap 4 for solo and BAM my delay and wah are deactivated. 2 TAPS extra required again for turn those on. Then the delay and the wah are now automatically saved on my on my cleans and my solo snap. Next song I hit solo I'm stuck with delay and WAH on which I may want off.

I wish the effects controlled by stomp footswitches are completely independant than the snaps.

Another similar scenario - I want to set up my MIDI amp channels to be controlled by 3 snaps (clea, lo gain, lead). I want the stomps to behave like true stomps.

I hope this clears up what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks guys

Hi

I set up all snapshots just with clean, dirt clean, lo gain and high gain (snap 1, 2, 3, and 4). All stomps are off on all snaps.

Let's say I'm on clean and turn on my delay on using one of the 4 stomp and my wah on (activated by the EXP pedal). Then I get into a solo - I hit snap 4 for solo and BAM my delay and wah are deactivated. 2 TAPS extra required again for turn those on. Then the delay and the wah are now automatically saved on my on my cleans and my solo snap. Next song I hit solo I'm stuck with delay and WAH on which I may want off.

You say "2 Taps extra needed" but you should have set delay and wah to on (not bypassed) in the snapshot 'solo' when you build it. Another thing: crucial seems to me that you set Snapshot Edits to 'discard' (in Global Settings > Preferences). That way a snapshot stays in its original state. So you don't have to do the 2 extra taps, cause now the snapshot won't remember the changes you have made.

You say "2 Taps extra needed" but you should have set delay and wah to on (not bypassed) in the snapshot 'solo' when you build it. Another thing: crucial seems to me that you set Snapshot Edits to 'discard' (in Global Settings > Preferences). That way a snapshot stays in its original state. So you don't have to do the 2 extra taps, cause now the snapshot won't remember the changes you have made.

Thx . I'm gonna look for Snapshot edits preferences and see what happens. The thing is that not all my solos are with delay and wah. So let's say I move to a new section or a new song where delay and wah are not required then I have to turn those two off. I play in a funk/soul band and some of the part are jammy and organic on the spot. Also our set list can change right there depending on the mood of the place, crowd response, etc. So having things preset don't work very well in this project.

I submitted in ideascale a while back having two "layers" of snapshots. Basically, two independent groups of snaps to be assigned instead of just one. This would allow one group of snaps for tone shaping, and another group for time based control. 

As I understand it sfx70 (the auhor of this thread) wants the state of blocks in snapshots to have three options instead of two : bypassed, active, neutral. The option neutral meaning: the snapshot does nothing, the block stays active or bypassed, so it is actually not part of the snapshot.

He wants snapshots to exclude blocks, which is contradicting to the concept. It would perhaps make things too complex for the majority of users to build that in.

Honestly the easiest way to explain is this. In stomp mode I want the ability to group ootswitches to act like the m13 channel strips. Let's say I want to have 3 different distortions- i can group those 3 associated footswitches that control my distortions so that if I press on one footswitch it will deactivate the other 2 (and the effects associated with them). Makes sense?

Honestly the easiest way to explain is this. In stomp mode I want the ability to group ootswitches to act like the m13 channel strips. Let's say I want to have 3 different distortions- i can group those 3 associated footswitches that control my distortions so that if I press on one footswitch it will deactivate the other 2 (and the effects associated with them). Makes sense?

Not really. I don't know the m13. But about the 3 footswitches, I don't see the problem. Make 3 presets.

I've tried reading through this a few times, and I'm still not entirely sure what you want, but it certainly sounds like snapshots would do the trick. I mean, the way snapshots are implemented on the Helix certainly offers a ton more flexibility than the M13 has as far as eliminating tap-dancing. I think the big thing is you just have to create snapshots that cover all these different possible combinations of drives. If you need more combinations, just create another copy of the preset and set up those snapshot accordingly. If you set the bank up and down switches to be preset up and down in the Global Settings menu, it makes switching between adjacent presets relatively seamless. So if you have two identical presets with different snapshot next to each other, it makes it seem like you're always in the same preset.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I completely agree, sfx70.

I'm probably repeating you here, but in a 4 snapshot, 4 stomp situation, I would also like to be able to have some stomps exempt from any 'interference' from snapshots.

It could be a Leslie or something, that I'd like to add on the fly for some color, but when I switch from snapshot #1 to snapshot #2 (for some more gain, maybe), the Leslie is suddenly off again.

It would be nice to have the ability for some stomps to ignore snapshots altogether.

But for that to work - without getting some blocks in an unexpected state - any and all blocks, that are controlled by a 'snapshot exempt' stomp, would have to be invisible to snapshots, until they are 'released' from that stomp.

How you communicate that to 'the pilot' is something else...