Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Weird input volume change

themetallikid

So, I have a patch dialed up using the Solo Lead OD and stock cab settings for the most part.  Signal chain is pretty normal Guitar > Wah > Drive > Amp/Cab > Delay (Parallel) > Output

When the guitar is silent as in no input being generated and I hit a chord, the initial attack is much louder than the 'body' of the chord that comes through.  Almost like a compressor is grabbing it and squashing it.  If I keep chugging away, its not there.  It only shows up when I stop for a short bit and hit a note/chord.  For instance to check my tweaking I'll hit a low E open power chord, or chug on it, the first attack is louder than the regular sound after.  

Anyone else get this?  I dont have a way to record this....

What amp model is?

You may try to change a lot the power amp level ("master") that has a big impact on the perception of the attack and compression.

With real amps, it's rare we are used to high level of power amp.

What may be happening here is that on a real amp you're used to a certain amount of Sag that causes that levels out the initial bumpdue to the immediate electrical draw of the amp.  You might experiment with the Sag value of the amp model and see if that gives you what you're looking for.

What may be happening here is that on a real amp you're used to a certain amount of Sag that causes that levels out the initial bumpdue to the immediate electrical draw of the amp.  You might experiment with the Sag value of the amp model and see if that gives you what you're looking for.

Oh, yes, SAG, and BIAS, and even more BIAS X can give freak surprises sometimes, and depending also on the level of the Master.

You should check with all this levels, and starting with the ones suggested by the basic amp model when you select it.

Thanks for the responses....

I'll check and play with the settings you mentioned, but I'm pretty sure I left most of them stock to when the Amp was pulled up.  I usually don't need to mess with the 'power' section, unless I want more on the Master Parameter. 

I don't think this is just on this amp, the only way I can describe it is how a compressor works when set to a country/chickn-pickn, you get the louder attack, then a noticeable drop in volume.  Now the drop in volume is not substantial and remains constant while I'm playing.  I'm not referring to the pick attack you hear when playing and hear on single notes in general.  This literally sounds like compressor set to squash the signal, but let the initial attack through. 

As I've been more concerned about getting patches setup for the show this weekend, I have not spent a great amount of time trouble shooting this, but it seems like an odd enough behavior, based on my experience with BOSS and Fractal units for the last 15 years or so. 

To be honest, it almost sounds like there is an initial signal bleed of the dry signal, and then the processing kicks in.  This is literally within half a second from pick attack being made, but its audible to me and I don't have the greatest ears. 

My signal is pretty simple as I said, and I was hearing it when powered through my sound guys powered wedge (did not have this problem with my Boss unit through there, so its not the wedge) .  I can't recall if I heard the same issue when playing via my IEM's, but can check on that tonight. 

Do you have the Input section noise gate on?

Could be something there.

Is the Guitar In Pad on? Along with this, are your pickups particularly hot?

These things meant to be considered along with the various on-point responses above, especially regarding the power section sag/bias etc.

Oh, yes, SAG, and BIAS, and even more BIAS X can give freak surprises sometimes, and depending also on the level of the Master.

You should check with all this levels, and starting with the ones suggested by the basic amp model when you select it.

+1