Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to merge two IRs into one?

FarleyUK

Hi all,

I want to merge two IRs I have into a single IR, so that I don't need a parallel path in the Helix for two IR blocks - can someone please point me in the direction of how to do this? I've not had much luck in finding details online...!

(FYI - the reason i want to do this is to merge two 3Sigma IRs into one, as I am running a W/d/W setup, so the helix sends the dry out from path a direct to XLR, and path 1b goes to path 2 for the wet signal. I cannot do this if there is a split elsewhere in path 1).

You would have to have software that would allow that format to merge into each other without changing the tones of either one. I don't think that exists, but if it does please tell us where it is.

The closest thing I know of that is kinda sorta like what you might want is called "CabLab", and Fractal Audio makes it. You might look at it. I would LOVE it is Line 6 came up with one incorporated in (or worked in tandem with) its editor for Helix.

Redwirez makes an IR loader than can do this. It's called mixing and is available at their website. It's $50 on its own, or included in their big box (which has a ton of IRs included) for $150.

It works with any IRs in WAV format. There are 6 blocks for IRs and each block can have up to 5 IRs in it. You can blend the levels and mix percentage of the IRs and once you get something you like, export it as a new wav file. This is how I've been doing IRs lately.

• Upvote 1

You can do it with Reaper using the ReaVerb plugin you just need imagination.

Record guitar signal and then use an IR loader (LeCab2 for 6 IR with mixing capability, or .... ReaVerb) plus any EQ or other stuff you want to add in the FX path - play until happy with sound.

The swap the guitar recording for the Sine sweep and record the result into a new track, then use the convolver in ReaVerb to create a new IR from everything you had on the FX path.

The process for a real room is described here (other tutorials are available if you search):

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/reaverb-part-2

Just replace the room recording with recording the FX chain you created and you are good.

Best thing is that the whole thing is free.

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

I want to merge two IRs I have into a single IR, so that I don't need a parallel path in the Helix for two IR blocks - can someone please point me in the direction of how to do this? I've not had much luck in finding details online...!

(FYI - the reason i want to do this is to merge two 3Sigma IRs into one, as I am running a W/d/W setup, so the helix sends the dry out from path a direct to XLR, and path 1b goes to path 2 for the wet signal. I cannot do this if there is a split elsewhere in path 1).

If you want just to merge two IRs the proceeding is rather simple with a PC and free software.

You can find here the explanation about how to make it.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/why-not-mix-your-own-customized-irs.1808660/#post-23778431

You can do it with Reaper using the ReaVerb plugin you just need imagination.

Record guitar signal and then use an IR loader (LeCab2 for 6 IR with mixing capability, or .... ReaVerb) plus any EQ or other stuff you want to add in the FX path - play until happy with sound.

The swap the guitar recording for the Sine sweep and record the result into a new track, then use the convolver in ReaVerb to create a new IR from everything you had on the FX path.

The process for a real room is described here (other tutorials are available if you search):

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/reaverb-part-2

Just replace the room recording with recording the FX chain you created and you are good.

Best thing is that the whole thing is free.

Many people seem to overlook DAWs' built-in plugins, in particular Reaper. No need to use third party software. Although perhaps a bit more difficult to use than something like MixIR from Redwirez, ReaVerb should do everything one would need. Another example is ReaSamplOmatic5000. You could build an entire drum kit with many instances of that.

Redwirez makes an IR loader than can do this. It's called mixing and is available at their website. It's $50 on its own, or included in their big box (which has a ton of IRs included) for $150.

It works with any IRs in WAV format. There are 6 blocks for IRs and each block can have up to 5 IRs in it. You can blend the levels and mix percentage of the IRs and once you get something you like, export it as a new wav file. This is how I've been doing IRs lately.

Yeah, I'd seen that - is it literally a case of loading the two IRs, setting it to parallel routing, and then exporting? Or do you need to insert a test tone file (i.e. from Voxengo Deconvolver) as well?

wow, after watching this video I'm getting this got this...

with helix native this would be an awesome reamp platform.

Yeah, I'd seen that - is it literally a case of loading the two IRs, setting it to parallel routing, and then exporting? Or do you need to insert a test tone file (i.e. from Voxengo Deconvolver) as well?

Just realized my terrible case of auto-correct earlier - the plugin is called MixIR2, not mixing.

There is no test tone needed. You just load what you want and blend them as desired and then export. The only catch is that you need a DAW to open it in. It's latency as an IR loader is low enough that I can plug in the helix via USB without a cab block, then add the plugin and audition/tweak the IR blends in real time before exporting.

It's true that you can create IRs with something like Reaverb too. I personally found it worth the $50 for the ease of use. Your mileage may vary.

Exports from MixIR2 aren't standard wav files you can load into Helix? What format are they that DAWs can use but Helix can't?

I've been doing exactly this all afternoon. It works great.

Cheers all - got hold of MixIR2, and it does the business!

Quick question on it though - is it better to have two IRs in one block at 50% mix each - or one IR in two blocks?

I would use an IR in two blocks and mix them with the volume slider. I believe (and I could be wrong here) that if you had two IRs in a block set to to 50%, you would still have 50% of the raw signal getting through.

I would use an IR in two blocks and mix them with the volume slider. I believe (and I could be wrong here) that if you had two IRs in a block set to to 50%, you would still have 50% of the raw signal getting through.

Cheers - from what I saw in the manual, it sounds like if you have multiple IRs in one block, and the total of the % adds up to 100% (so two at 50% is an even mix of both), that should be fine.

I've tried both ways, and I think having 2 IRs in 1 block sounds a bit 'clearer' in some way.

Cheers - from what I saw in the manual, it sounds like if you have multiple IRs in one block, and the total of the % adds up to 100% (so two at 50% is an even mix of both), that should be fine.

I've tried both ways, and I think having 2 IRs in 1 block sounds a bit 'clearer' in some way.

agreed, i made they mistake of adding two to one block without changing the percentage on my first try, I had two in the same block both 100%. Not the sound I was after ;)

Actually, going through the manual it says for cabinet IRS you should have 1 per block, and that other blocks are set to parallel, and the volume for each is 100.

Tried it with an output length of 2048, and works well - combined a lot of the 3Sigma stuff and it sounds great! 1a with 2b, 3b, 4b and 5b from each pack sounds very nice indeed.

Is the result using MixIR2 different from just mixing multiple IR wav files on separate tracks in a DAW and rendering the resulting wav file?

No idea, but `i do know that using MixIR2 is much much easier and faster.

Used the generated IRs at my gig on Saturday, and sounded great!