Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking at Helix Rack Unit

thirdsetjeff

I've had a ton of line 6 gear over the years. Pod'Bean', Vetta II, Variax, Pod hd, DT 50.... I sold everything and went to a tube amp running a G system.. I'm board... HA... I miss line 6.. So I'm looking to sell my head and gsystem.. I think I want the rack Helix and purchase the foot controller.. My question is what type of amp am I going to need to run this into my mesa 2x12. I saw a post on facebook where a guy was running Seymore Duncan amp?? Is the amp going to color the Helix?? I've tried running a 4 cable method with my pod into my head/amps and never happy with the sound quality.. 

Thanks

Any power amp will do the job, but don't buy something cheap.. Seymour Duncan has a new small one designed to fit in a small space or even on a pedal board. I've heard good things about it.

If you are going to take the most advantage of amp sims and IR and the stock cabs, though, you could be better off with a beefy FRFR or pair of them.

Or a combination of those things.

Not sure. If like something loud enough to play a decent sized venue. I've got a 50 watt prs archon now running into a2x12 mesa rec cab. I think full range is the way to go. I'd be happy with a wedge. Not sure how that would work in a band room. Not sure what I really want to do yet.

Not sure. If like something loud enough to play a decent sized venue. I've got a 50 watt prs archon now running into a2x12 mesa rec cab. I think full range is the way to go. I'd be happy with a wedge. Not sure how that would work in a band room. Not sure what I really want to do yet.

I use a wedge with my Helix rack rig.  Mine is MORE than enough to hang in the rehearsal room and works equally as well on stage.  Of course live I am running a line to FOH and have support from the front line wedges, but I keep mine back near the rack like I would a traditional cab and it is more than enough to give me the "backline" feel I have always been used to.

Here are two videos that demonstrate.  One is from rehearsal and the audio is captured by the camera.  I have no PA support, it's just my wedge.  The live clip is the drum angle for a show.  It is also captured with the camera mic.  I chose this angle because the drummer doesn't us his side fill at this venue.  What you are hearing is my wedge in context of the stage sound near the drummer.  It is more than enough.  This venue has a great PA and six wedges across the front, but I still keep mine back by my rack....

practice:

live:

I am using n EV ZLX12P.  It's awesome.  One thing that I am loving is that it has 2 inputs.  One is set to my stage/rehearsal volume, the other is set to a volume that works in the house.  I never have to adjust the volume on my patches or the Helix.  I just choose the proper input for the application.

• Upvote 2

Both the cab approach and the FRFR approach are great ways to implement the Helix.

I use a Koch ATR-4025 into a 10/12 cab when I do the cab thing.  http://www.koch-amps.com/guitar-poweramp-atr-4502.html

It has great balls and the Helix allows simulation of many different amp types thru that setup.

I use a Yamaha DXR12 FRFR when I do that thing.  The full range type speaker allows all the nuances of the Helix & IR combinations

to come thru.  I consider it as the full studio sound with the FRFR.

When I want the spl in the room tone, I go with the power amp and cab.  When I need the most versatility, I do the frfr.