Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV59 failure in hot humid conditions

Hey, all—

I love my new JTV59, and use it for almost all of my gigs. However, last night I played an outdoor gig where the heat index was about 104F, and the modeling wouldn't even turn on. I had charged the battery just prior to the gig, and checked it before I left the house (full charge). When I say "the modeling wouldn't turn on", I mean I got exactly the same results that I would get as if the battery was dead or not in the chamber. I checked the battery level indicator, and it briefly flashed 3 LEDs, but it went off a lot quicker than it usually does. Generally speaking, those LEDs stay on for about two seconds, and last night they only stayed on for about a half second.

I pulled and reseated the battery four times, but no change. Got through the gig just fine with the mag pups, but I missed having the alternate tuning functions :(

Took it home, plugged it in this morning to check it, and everything works just fine today. So it's either the battery doesn't function when it's too warm, or the electronics fail when it's too warm. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

It's the battery - there's some sort of thermal safety in them.  Go back thru my posts around 3 years and you'll find details of the experiments I did.  I live in Phoenix and found out about this fairly quickly.  It seems like it takes 45 minutes or so - starting from "cool" - for the safety to kick in.  I've had good success in keeping my batteries in a cooler on stage - slap one in, do a set, put it back in the cooler while bringing out the next one for the next set.  Doing it that way I haven't had a shutdown since....

• Upvote 1

It's the battery - there's some sort of thermal safety in them.  Go back thru my posts around 3 years and you'll find details of the experiments I did.  I live in Phoenix and found out about this fairly quickly.  It seems like it takes 45 minutes or so - starting from "cool" - for the safety to kick in.  I've had good success in keeping my batteries in a cooler on stage - slap one in, do a set, put it back in the cooler while bringing out the next one for the next set.  Doing it that way I haven't had a shutdown since....

Is there actually ice in the cooler, or is it enough to just be in an insulated compartment?

Is there actually ice in the cooler, or is it enough to just be in an insulated compartment?

I keep the batteries in a ziplock - generally I used freezer packs, tho on a couple occasions (in a pinch) I did use ice.  Basically I'm trying to lower the starting point temp, buy as much stage time as possible.  Nice thing with the JTV's is they'll default to the mags if the battery shuts down, so you can make it thru the tune - albeit without the acoustic/12 string/whatever you're using - and then just pop a backup in.  But that's happened like once since using the cooler.  Hey, it gets freakin' HOT down here in the desert.

BTW - I'm just a wireless geek, otherwise I'd simply use the VDI cable.  Hate cables....

I use the VDI cable with Helix to get full control of the Variax. I haven't had any problems with my JTV-69S playing outdoor gigs at high or low temperatures. We do a number of outdoor club gigs each year where the outside temp is in the low 90s in the evening. We also did an outside gig at the end of March where the temp got into the low 40s. No problem with JTV or Helix in either case.

I did have some neck stability problems with my Variax Standard in really hot, humid conditions. Might be that slightly thinner neck.