Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

VDI and Guitar input at the same time

gstew

Hi, this was a no no with the HD500x, but since we can choose a specific target input at the input block, per preset, in the helix, is this OK for the unit? I'm not meaning to make each one hot at the same time, just want to plug in different guitars, one Variax/one wireless, so that I can alternate between the two for live playing. Thx

Sure, that's fine... Actually, for the record, it works on the HD500X, too. The only thing that's problematic in regard to the VDI and 1/4" input is trying to run both the VDI and 1/4" connection from the same Variax at the same time, and that would be the case with both the HD500X and the Helix.

I do this all the time.  I basically just have to remember to turn down the volume of the guitar as I switch to the other.  Though, I have actually had some interesting feedback addition when I forget that actually adds to the song, a kind of underlying tone :-/

Yes, Helix is very capable of letting you easily switch between guitars. As other users mentioned you can have your presets tailored to each guitar with Helix. There's also a multitude of ways to switch between guitars in a single preset.

Yes, Helix is very capable of letting you easily switch between guitars. As other users mentioned you can have your presets tailored to each guitar with Helix. There's also a multitude of ways to switch between guitars in a single preset.

I'm assuming the most obvious way within a preset to change guitars is utilizing snapshots. I got to be honest, after reading every post I can find and looking at multiple youtube videos, I am not easily getting a handle on snapshots. I finally figured out they are a subset of a preset. Makes me wonder why you would use stomp buttons at all if snapshots have more capability such as variax model changes and multiple parameter block changes. I'm sure I am missing some a few critical points so I will keep reading and trying to figure it out.

I'm assuming the most obvious way within a preset to change guitars is utilizing snapshots. I got to be honest, after reading every post I can find and looking at multiple youtube videos, I am not easily getting a handle on snapshots. I finally figured out they are a subset of a preset. Makes me wonder why you would use stomp buttons at all if snapshots have more capability such as variax model changes and multiple parameter block changes. I'm sure I am missing some a few critical points so I will keep reading and trying to figure it out.

You have it right. Snapshots can easily replace using stomps although using both works well two if you want to have for instance four top row switches assigned to snapshots for more complex changes and four bottom row switches assigned to stompboxes for when you just want to kick one (or more) specific effect(s) in. Other combinations are available as well for example switching from snapshot mode (8 snapshots) to stomp mode (up to 10 stomps). It really depends on how you want to use the Helix.