Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bass Sound on Lower Strings

cchimi

Maybe a dumb question, but I'd like to add a subtle "bass guitar" sound to a patch, but only for the lowest three strings (E, A, and D) on my archtop guitar.  I play in a duo in which I mostly accompany another player, and try to keep my thumb thumping basslines.  it would be cool if those strings could not only sound naturally, but also sound doubled an octave below.

I tried using the Simple Pitch effect on its own routing line, with pretty much everything above 200hz EQed out. But the octave sound is too prominent on the upper strings to be useful.

Maybe it can't be done, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Carl

This can't be done. But depending on what you're playing, you could assign the pitch block's bypass to a momentary switch and only engage it when you're playing the notes for which you want an underlying octave applied. It might not work very well though if you leave notes ringing. And even if there are no notes left ringing, I would imagine this idea being a difficult skill to develop.

Beyond that, the only other thing I can think of is maybe a variax can do what you want? Not sure.

I sort of thought that would be the case.  But I always hope smarter brains than mine might come up with a solution.

I do have a Variax 500 (left handed), but prefer not to use it for this duo.

Thanks,

Carl

That's an interesting approach, bishopbob.  of course, I was hoping to do it all within the Helix, and not have to purchase, lug, and set up another pedal.  But I'll look into the OC-3.

Thanks,

Carl

Yes I usually just use an OC3 for this purpose.   

As Bob says - in Poly mode the range control works pretty well so that it only be adjusted to work on the lower strings.  It's not a sharp cutoff.. what happens is that the pitch shifted notes get quieter over getting on for an octave range from full on to full off.    So you get a tiny bit of pitch shifting on the G string as well as the D but it's very low in the mix.

However I've recently been experimenting using my iPad plugged into Helix via USB/CCK and running MIDI Guitar app along with synth apps.  I can get some really nice bass sounds this way - much better than than the muffled oomph OC3 produces in Poly mode.   It is a bit tricky to set up though and I've not used it live yet...  but soon I will :)

I typically only use the y or A/B splits, but there is also a crossover split type in the Helix.  You choose the cutoff frequency and it will route treble to one path and bass to another.  Seems like it's made for this sort of application, though I haven't really used it.

I typically only use the y or A/B splits, but there is also a crossover split type in the Helix.  You choose the cutoff frequency and it will route treble to one path and bass to another.  Seems like it's made for this sort of application, though I haven't really used it.

That could very well work. Interesting...

Jumpin' Joe,

I just downloaded your preset.  Snapshot 2 does almost exactly what I wanted!  And the other snapshots also contain interesting sounds and effects.

Thanks a lot.  This will really help me in my duo work.

Carl

• 1 year later...

I'm a long time user of the Boss OC-3. In trying to create that effect on the helix, I've tried the split-crossover trick and other drastic EQing but no matter what you can still hear the sub octave in the entire range of the guitar. 

For now, I'm just going to stick the OC-3 (a reasonably cheap and small pedal) in the fx loop.  

The Electroharmonix Sub'n'up pedal does the same trick. You can only access that parameter through their toneprint software though. I've heard its tracking is even better than the OC-3.

Hopefully there will be one of these pedals modeled for a firmware update! 

Necro thread.

Your crossover split has to be set very low. 110hz or so.

Bass Octaver with it's Tone ruined up all the way works better than Simple Pitch

Then I put a hi lo cut to clean it up high noises. A gate wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Then I put a compressor on that.

Works pretty well

Hey, JohnMarkPainter, that works really well!  Solved my problem, especially on the HX Stomp, where I can't use a bass model my buddy created for my Variax.

I work in a duo where I'm using my thumb (within the limits of my talent) to thump along on basslines, so this is especially helpful.

Thanks,

Carl

• 10 months later...