Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hi,

First, let me apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere. I searched the forum for an answer to this question, but couldn't find one...hence this topic.

Basically, I'm wondering if a variax 500 can be upgraded to a rechargeable lithium ion battery like the JTVs. I own a JTV 89, which I love. However, I also have an opportunity to purchase a like new variax 500 for a song. I'm thinking the current battery situation with these old variaxes are an issue. Therefore, I won't purchase this guitar unless I can ascertain whether or not the current battery set up can be converted to the new rechargeable lithium power source as with the JTVs.

If this is feasible, please post any documentation, tips, tutorials, etc.

Thanks so much!

Yes it will work but there is one potentially serious problem.  Anything running on lithium batteries needs to have a reliable cutoff that prevents over discharging the battery.  It may cut off early enough.  The battery voltage is compatable.  I was thinking of doing this but I am reasonably satisfied with my 6 rechargables that I use now.  Same capacity as the JTV battery so it wouldn't run any longer with a JTV battery than it does with my NIMH rechargables.  The JTV must be much lower power because it runs much longer.

I forgot another issue.  I looked into this myself and I could not find a battery box like the one on the JTV that would interface nicely with the battery and fit in the Variax 500.  That would be necessary unless you want to figure out a way to charge the battery in place.  Then you could hard wire it.  I don't recommend this though.

To the OP, don't do it! The JTV batteries are expensive, and only last 2-3 years if maintained properly. If you leave the battery discharged for any extended period, there's a decent chance it'll be dead when you try to use it again. $50 more please.

I have 700's and I'll be leaving them the way they came so Line 6 can't keep putting their hand in my pocket. You can also get the power adapter from Line 6, or power it off a VDI cable into a POD HD500/X. My JTV59 is powered off my 700 power adapter so I don't have to keep forking out for batteries.