Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for someone in London UK to help me with Helix

vinny199

Hi guys,

I'm struggling to get anywhere near the patches I'm trying to build.

Nothing fancy, just trying to recreate my regular gig rig (clean / crunch, fuzz) with the Helix.

I've been trying for a while now, read so many posts etc. global settings options, IRs and IRs EQ settings etc.

I cannot get anywhere near something decent. It's either really harsh, or very digital sounding etc. I just can't get my head around it

(I have reasonable experience with amp sims and I've used the Amplifire 12 for a while without much problems for example, but I don't want to start a debate on that)

I just give up now. I spent so many days trying, I can't keep at it further.

I am looking for someone really good / experienced with the Helix, in London UK / nearby to help me hands on / work with me on this.

I'm happy to hire for a day, (providing we can agree a reasonable fee) to work with me and try build my base sounds.

If you'd be interested please let me know,

Thank you

Vinny

Hi Vinny,

I had similar issues with mine. I was convinced it was broken as I couldn't get anything near what I would call a useful tone. For the first week I contemplated taking it back. I was looking for high gain tones and really struggling. One of the best things I did was to drop the high cut on the cab to a point where you could clearly hear it taking all the top end out and then just increasing it slightly. This took out all of the high 'fizz' that was causing a lot of my issues and started to make it sound more realistic. I also found when changing the mic type on the cab block to give my ears a few seconds to adjust to the new sound as my immediate thought would be 'nope!'

I also found adding an EQ block at the end of the chain for fine tuning helped a lot.

I found a stock preset that was as close to what I was looking for and started tinkering with it. Small adjustments can make big differences so take your time. 

I'm not far away in Birmingham, however I'm no expert so wouldn't charge for any time. I'm sure between the guys on here we can figure out what's going on for free!

What sort of sound are you looking for? and what guitar are you using? We can try creating some patches for you to download.

Hi guys,

Nothing fancy, just trying to recreate my regular gig rig (clean / crunch, fuzz) with the Helix.

So, what is your regular "gig rig" and what are you monitoring your sound from Helix on?

So, what is your regular "gig rig" and what are you monitoring your sound from Helix on?

Really, I'm looking to get someone to help me hands on at this stage.

I have good equipment, including my own studio / recording booth, amps and mics, so I 'm familiar with the sound of amps being recorded with various mics and right now I can't get anywhere near anything familiar, all crancked up amps sound pretty digital and "bad" and I can't commit much more time to it really.

I do monitor on Adam speakers and other speaker sets in my studio.

I also take the Helix to my band's rehearsal studio and play with the band through the PA, so I have good perspective of both the sound at home at medium levels and in a "live" situation.

We have a bunch of dates in September / October both in the UK and Europe and I was hoping to have an amp-less solution this time for this tour. But I'm not getting any luck and with holidays coming soon, I feel it would be just best to have someone help me hands on and pay for the service.

Thanks

Hi Vinny,

I had similar issues with mine. I was convinced it was broken as I couldn't get anything near what I would call a useful tone. For the first week I contemplated taking it back. I was looking for high gain tones and really struggling. One of the best things I did was to drop the high cut on the cab to a point where you could clearly hear it taking all the top end out and then just increasing it slightly. This took out all of the high 'fizz' that was causing a lot of my issues and started to make it sound more realistic. I also found when changing the mic type on the cab block to give my ears a few seconds to adjust to the new sound as my immediate thought would be 'nope!'

I also found adding an EQ block at the end of the chain for fine tuning helped a lot.

I found a stock preset that was as close to what I was looking for and started tinkering with it. Small adjustments can make big differences so take your time. 

I'm not far away in Birmingham, however I'm no expert so wouldn't charge for any time. I'm sure between the guys on here we can figure out what's going on for free!

What sort of sound are you looking for? and what guitar are you using? We can try creating some patches for you to download.

Hey, thanks a lot for that!

Really right now, I cannot even get a simple Twin to sound like a twin... I despair.

I'd say just about OK on cleans but cranked up is sounds unrealistic, digital, either harsh or muffled (I can't find a middle ground), the IRs sound super harsh even after severe high cut or eventually dull, nothing "feels right".

I am happy enough using it as an effect board, but as soon as I try it as an amp solution, it really doesn't work for me and I tired everything I red: Global EQ on/Off / various settings / With / Without IRs, Eqeuing IRs, Inputs changed to line or mic or every options, guitar pad on/off, guitar impedances options etc.

I feel I've been around the bend enough.. Either something is wrong with it, or I am missing something and I'd rather get some hands on help than loose days and days as I'm doing now..

I would normally live use my Telecaster (quite bright and jangly) with a fender like amp (modified blues junior, Mesa rectoverb 25, deluxes, hot rod etc) Of course I use pedals or sometimes cranked amps where I can. So, at least getting to a crancked amp type sound that sounds just good and real would be a massive achievement right now.

I have bough a good bunch of Ownhammer IRs etc. Right now, nothing would do it seems...

Thanks!

Really, I hear your frustration - but bossgx700 was in the right track.

If you want a quick fix - go to global EQ.  Just cut everything above 5.5K drastically - you will start to get sounds you like straight away.  Also almost everyone cuts the lows at say 100Hz - again pretty drastically.

Then select a fender style amp and it will start to sound about right.

If you find an "expert" either doing that in globals or in each channel will be the kind of "fix" they do.

It is to match the range of the Helix output to that of a typical cab.

We hear this all the time on this list - just try it before you spend dollars or give up.

As stated.... the high cut will help dramatically. I used the high cut on the cab blocks, and save the global eq for adjusting for different rooms.

I cannot get a good sound without it (without adding an EQ block, anyway). Vinny, If you haven't adjusted this, you should try it. It will make everything dramatically easier. Otherwise, I hope you can find someone local.

I'm in Los Angeles, but I'll be visiting London in the first week of August. I'd be happy to help if you still need it at that point.

Have you double checked that you are plugging in to the guitar input and not the Aux in? I've made that mistake once or twice. You could try enabling the input pad. The earlier advice to use the filters on the speaker blocks is really helpful. What method are you using to connect Helix to your speakers?

• Upvote 1

I'm in Los Angeles, but I'll be visiting London in the first week of August. I'd be happy to help if you still need it at that point.

Have you double checked that you are plugging in to the guitar input and not the Aux in? I've made that mistake once or twice. You could try enabling the input pad. The earlier advice to use the filters on the speaker blocks is really helpful. What method are you using to connect Helix to your speakers?

That's so kid, thank you very much for offering. It would have been with pleasure, however I am on holiday (vacation as you guys say) first week of August. So, it can't be done, but thanks so much.

Yes, I'll try everything again I guess, but still would like to find someone to physically help.

I've tried all connections, jacks, XLRs, mono/stereo, direct to preamps, direct to soundcard, to mixing desk in rehearsal room etc, and I definitely plug the guitar in the guitar in input.

I know the damn thing works good as I hear lots of amazing tones on youtube etc, I just cannot (yet) work out anything half decent.

I think now I will try using darker IRs (like the ribbon mic ones instead of 57's), it may help.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I've been trying for a while now, read so many posts etc. global settings options, IRs and IRs EQ settings etc.

I cannot get anywhere near something decent. It's either really harsh, or very digital sounding etc. I just can't get my head around it

(I have reasonable experience with amp sims and I've used the Amplifire 12 for a while without much problems for example, but I don't want to start a debate on that)

I just give up now. I spent so many days trying, I can't keep at it further.

I am looking for someone really good / experienced with the Helix, in London UK / nearby to help me hands on / work with me on this.

I'm happy to hire for a day, (providing we can agree a reasonable fee) to work with me and try build my base sounds.

If you'd be interested please let me know,

Thank you

Vinny

Hey Vinny - if you're still looking for help then I recommend heading to www.thefretboard.co.uk  - it's a UK-based forum with lots of London-based people and a really good Helix following (look for numerous threads in the FX section) 

Hey Vinny - if you're still looking for help then I recommend heading to www.thefretboard.co.uk  - it's a UK-based forum with lots of London-based people and a really good Helix following (look for numerous threads in the FX section) 

Thank you. That's a great tip. I'll do that.

I know Scott from the Helix channel builds custom patches for people privately, and I think he does tuition over skype and such like.

A very nice guy and very knowlegeable if you need 1 to 1 help

Thanks, that's also a very good idea.

I'm actually in London August 7 through 11 if that helps.

The other thing you can try is adjusting the guitar impedance at the input block. This can make a big difference in some setups.

Thanks a lot for offering, I'm on holiday that time though. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think I have made some progress. Still some way away from the sounds I'm after, but a big thing has been using the "mixes" IRs from Owhammer instead of single mic / speaker IRs. The mixes ones combine various mics at various distances, including some room and back cabs mics etc, and immediately gave me a less shrill, more present, more realistic sound. So, that's big progress.

I am now leaving Global EQ activated and reducing lows at 100 and highs at 6.5. Even them I still EQ the IRs and have started using a EQ block too as suggested. All this combined does get me closer to decent sounds. At least I now recognise the amps I'm choosing and I don't have this super shrill or super dull tone. I hope I've found the right balance and I will test at the next rehearsal on Tuesday to see if that translate to the PA.

I'd still like to collaborate / get some help creating patches, so I'll keep looking for someone to help, however I'm hoping I now have usable sounds as starting points.

Thanks guys