Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV vs Standard

Darkason

The modeling is all the same, so they're even on that score. As for build quality, the Standard is essentially a Yamaha Pacifica with Variax guts. Hold one next to the other, and they're nearly indistinguishable, save the extra knobs on the Variax. You do the math...

The JTV69 neck pocket is compatible with any Strat replacement neck. Can't do that with the Standards.

The question still is why going for one of the more expensive products.Tje neck replacement doesn't seem enough. Are the JTV models better in terms of sound quality or are they almost the same. Because the 200-300 euros difference is big.😕

I went for the standard....with the main purpose of the guitar being emulation, and them both being the same ,after some delibribartion I just couldn't drop that kind of money on a Korean axe...

Standard it is.

I have other guitars for normal duties. I bought the standard for song writing, inspiration and a tool for the studio.

• Like 1

I think the magnetic pickups are different.  The modeling is the same.  The JTV's were designed by James Tyler who is a well respected luthier.  I have a JTV-69 because it's my favorite Tyler designed Variax and the Standard didn't exist when I bought it.  If I were to choose today, I'd be happy either way.

After doing a setup on the standard I have decided to return it...uneven frets...buzzing no matter how much relief and tweaking I did :(

That's why I mentioned the JTV69's compatibility with Strat replacement necks...yes, it's an extra expense, but the Warmoth neck I put on my JTV made it a completely different instrument. If that hadn't been possible, I probably would not have kept the guitar either... the stock neck was awful.

But lets say we compare them in turns of sound. Is the JTV one better and how much better.

If I said the JTV's are 17.83% better than the Standards, what would that mean? Nothing..."better" is an entirely subjective term. The modeling algorithms are all the same. You may end up favoring one guitar's mag pickups over the other, or you might like the JTV 59's "Les Paul-ish" design over the Standard, which is more of a Strat...but that doesn't make one "better" than the other, just different in looks and feel, and it all boils down to personal preference. I seriously doubt you'd notice a difference with the modeled sounds at all. However...aesthetics, what it feels like in your hands, fit/finish/fretwork, etc is all a different story. One man's "better" is another's unplayable crap, to be donated to the nearest toothpick factory.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a JTV-89 and recently got a Standard. I prefer to play the standard, probably because its lighter and I prefer the strat body style. While I like some things about the 89 neck, the E strings are close to the edge and tend to slip off if I play sloppily. I dont have that problem on the standard. I got the standard during the recent price reduction / 100 off sale from Sweetwater. I just missed a B-Stock model that was around $500. So, for that kinda money, I think you can't go wrong, even if you have to pay for / do a fret dress.

I'm considering selling the 89 with my HD500; I use the standard with the Helix into an FRFR (Lunchbox or EON 610). Overall, this is my true dream rig - I sold my DT25 to help fund the other purchases.

I have a JTV-89 and recently got a Standard. I prefer to play the standard, probably because its lighter and I prefer the strat body style. While I like some things about the 89 neck, the E strings are close to the edge and tend to slip off if I play sloppily. I dont have that problem on the standard. I got the standard during the recent price reduction / 100 off sale from Sweetwater. I just missed a B-Stock model that was around $500. So, for that kinda money, I think you can't go wrong, even if you have to pay for / do a fret dress.

I'm considering selling the 89 with my HD500; I use the standard with the Helix into an FRFR (Lunchbox or EON 610). Overall, this is my true dream rig - I sold my DT25 to help fund the other purchases.

If the strings are slipping off the 89, it could be the nut... if it's cut improperly, placing one or both E strings too close to the crowned edge of the fret, slippage can happen. New nut might clear that up...

• 2 months later...

I've had 4 variations of Variax.

The JTV was 'ok' for the money, nothing more, nothing less.

I too found the high E a problem; I don't with any of my (12) other guitars.

(it's well documented elsewhere that some people have issues with the high E dropping off the fretboard easily)

As I found I wasnt using the JTV much, I sold it a while ago.

I've just bought a S/H Standard Limited.

Obviously the 'electronics' still sound the same, but for me, I prefer it to the JTV.

Needs a little set up to fit me better, but for he money its great !

just need to reset it to factory electronic settings and go from there now.

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a second hand JTV 59 and like any guitar that's had the input of a great luthier in the design stage, it's different, and it costs more no doubt because Variax had to pay James Tyler. Strings slipping off as suggested can happen on the 1st string, is a set-up issue. No guitar can be guaranteed to work "out of the box" without being set up to the user's preference. As for whether it is "better" than the Standard, this is entirely subjective. Is a Gibson better than a Fender? It's all a matter of preference. What I will say is I'm blown away by the action and build quality of my Variax JTV 59 and am going to be spending a lot of time exploring its potential.

As mentioned in another thread, neck seating may be off slightly, groove depth in the nut in combination with string height above first fret, but there are many variables to consider, and an expert luthier may need to assist you with that one.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone worked with Warmoth on replacing the stock neck on the Standard? I read above that the JTV neck pocket would accept the strat neck. What neck will the standard accept?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no "working with Warmoth" in that manner... they make the designs that they make, and they fit what they fit. I vaguely recall somewhere on their site a "will it fit my guitar?" section where they list some common models of various manufacturers, and give a rough idea of what will work and what won't. But I don't think they're gonna tool-up to make a neck with heel dimensions that aren't already on the menu. You can always ask of course...just don't get your hopes up.

• 2 weeks later...

curious; how with a setup would you resolve the 1st string slipping off issue?

Tyler was probably aiming to be close to a Gibson Les Paul in terms of neck and string configuration.  You will find that the high E on a Les Paul is very close to the edge - Les Paul players just get used to it.  A couple of years ago Gibson introduced a wider fretboard (along with several other changes) to alleviate the problem.  The modifications to a classic design were not very well received, and Gibson have reverted back for most of the LP range.  I think you can still get the wider neck on the High Performance models.